Latest Windows 11 Insider Preview Has Made Many Users PC's Unusable

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

I guess I dodged another bullet. System running fine after the update. 🤔

Same here

Windows 11 runs great. Only thing that sometimes run a bit buggy is the File Explorer but nothing major though. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

Oh, for god's sake...

Release is barely a month away, and when it's released people are going to expect to rely on it. The fact that millions of people have managed to get themselves into a situation where the only viable option for them is to accept a piece of software which has not just built-in so-called "functionality" for to shove ads in front of whatever actually important thing you're trying to do. but such functionality which entirely breaks the system when used, speaks volumes about how messed-up this industry is.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

20 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Oh, for god's sake...

Release is barely a month away, and when it's released people are going to expect to rely on it. The fact that millions of people have managed to get themselves into a situation where the only viable option for them is to accept a piece of software which has not just built-in so-called "functionality" for to shove ads in front of whatever actually important thing you're trying to do. but such functionality which entirely breaks the system when used, speaks volumes about how messed-up this industry is.

Just wait at least 6 months for the majority of bugs to shake out once it's released as final. If using for business purposes, I'd push that out a full 12 months.

On 9/3/2021 at 4:07 PM, LAwLz said:

Microsoft keeps amazing me with their sheer incompetence. It is honestly astonishing how terribly written Windows is, and that includes their new code. 

It is so fucking bad. I don't get how anyone can defend this piece of shit. You can't even blame this in needing to work around backwards compatibility, or that the code is old. This is brand new code, and code for one of the most critical parts of the system, and an ad that was pushed from Microsoft's server brought it all down. 

There are so many things wrong with this I don't even know where to start. 

Maybe, if all this is so easy, you should start by building a better OS? 🙂

=====================================================================

19 minutes ago, Whispre said:

Maybe, if all this is so easy, you should start by building a better OS? 🙂

I don't have to be a professional chef to know that a dish is too salty. 

I don't have to be a world famous musician to know someone is singing out of tune. 

I don't have to be stronger than someone else to tell them the way they are lifting is incorrect and can cause injuries. 

I don't have to be an OS developer to say that a server side ad that was pushed out should not be able to crash and render an OS almost completely inoperable. 

Also, I didn't say it was easy building an OS, so please don't make strawman arguments. 

I am trying out the Win 11 insider build and after reading this am very tempted to revert back to Win 10. So far it (mostly) works fine other than file manager being VERY slow to appear or completely locking up. Thankfully, I have vital files backed up on a NAS so if it does crash and won't restart it's not the end of the world.

I definitely wouldn't trust Win 11 in its current state to store valuable data.

52 minutes ago, steelo said:

I definitely wouldn't trust Win 11 in its current state to store valuable data.

The integrity of stored user documents wouldn't be something to be concerned about at the file system level. But, if the UI glitches out, that could render front-end access to them inaccessible. So worst case scenario, you would have to reinstall the OS or mount the drive as a secondary drive into a known working computer in order to copy the data off of them. Or, you could boot from a USB Windows 10 installer flash-drive and use robocopy....but I digress.

On 9/6/2021 at 4:50 PM, Stahlmann said:

I never said that no problem exists. But if i'd read the thread for the first time right now it seems like W11 is unuseable.

I think it's important that people know there are also users that don't have any problems.

This just "exploded" again, even with microsoft instantly issuing a fix. And everyone switching their main PC to a beta-OS should know what they're getting into. It's clearly communicated that the preview builds are not stable versions and can lead to issues like this or data loss.

Reading through all the latest W11 threads on the forum it just seems like everyone is waiting for something new to cry out about.

A JSON blob downloaded from the server (for pushing advertisements of all things) completely took down the OS. That is really bad coding. And this is just a month away from production release. The problem is, this can sort of be used to extrapolate on the quality of coding and it honestly doesnt look good. There's no reason for that data to be tied to the Windows Shell in anyway. There could be so many more such flaws peppered everywhere around windows and you just wouldn't know until it happens.  Microsoft has always been notorious for releasing buggy software or completely nuking softwares (example Skype). Honestly, they are only relevant in the market because of the sheer market dominance they ended up having early on in personal computing