Pls give me advice on best electronics forum (I need to set up a budget for ATX PSU testing equipment)

Go to solution Solved by f14,

easy way 
buy a equipment design for ATX psu testing like sunmoon SM8800.
A variac for changing main voltage . but I prefer cheap AC source because it have isolate tranformer inside (SPWM) and can set current limit to prevent your DUT blow up

Scope like rigol Ds1000z is good. I have used two of them 

Anything but EEVblog, I was banned for no reason (I forgot my username and the whole forum thing just fu@ked up)

Thanks in advance.

Maybe ask on jonnyguru forums.

Try making another account at eevblog, but either way it's more of a general electronics forum, testing power supplies and psu testing equipment is more of a niche and I doubt you'd gonna get good replies.

The links you gave ... yeah, I guess that programmable dc electronic load could be used, but it's not optimal for atx power supplies, where you can have multiple rails and you want to put loads on 12v, 3.3v and 5v at same time

You don't need a 4 channel oscilloscope to test power supplies, a one channel or two channel is plenty...

Have a look at the recent videos about power supplies on Gamers Nexus on Youtube at the equipment they use, and i think they have also articles on their website where they list the equipment they bought. 

Jonnyguru uses/used similar equipment 

If you want to see Chroma or Sunmoon hardware used in factories for testing before shipping, there's a bunch of factory videos on Gamers Nexus and maybe you can read the models from the videos.

easy way 
A variac for changing main voltage . but I prefer cheap AC source because it have isolate tranformer inside (SPWM) and can set current limit to prevent your DUT blow up

I got banned from EEVBlog for no reason and I can no longer create a new account for it.

😞

thanks

* threads merged *

Please, do not repost.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

<-- Unlocked -->

Misunderstood the intent. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I think it depends what sort of testing you need to do.   Do you just need to check the voltages, ie: that the power supply is working?     Testing them under load is a bit more advanced and would require a more expensive setup.

If you just want to check the voltages, there are cheap ATX PSU breakout boards, and also voltage checkers.   For example only:  PSU tester,   PSU Breakout

{GoofyOne's 2c worth ... which may or may not be actually worth 2c}

On 8/30/2021 at 1:06 AM, mariushm said:

I guess that programmable dc electronic load could be used, but it's not optimal for atx power supplies, where you can have multiple rails and you want to put loads on 12v, 3.3v and 5v at same time

Oh, hadn't realized you need to push those at the same time. So I'd better forget about that one lol

You don't need a 4 channel oscilloscope to test power supplies, a one channel or two channel is plenty...

then something like this would do? doesn't it?

https://www.bkprecision.com/products/oscilloscopes/2190E-100-mhz-1-gsa-s-2-ch-digital-storage-oscilloscope-dso.html

or 100 MHz bandwith, 1GSa/s sampling rate is not enough?

Have a look at the recent videos about power supplies on Gamers Nexus on Youtube at the equipment they use, and i think they have also articles on their website where they list the equipment they bought. 

Jonnyguru uses/used similar equipment 

If you want to see Chroma or Sunmoon hardware used in factories for testing before shipping, there's a bunch of factory videos on Gamers Nexus and maybe you can read the models from the videos.

Alright, thanks.

On 8/30/2021 at 4:57 AM, f14 said:

easy way 
A variac for changing main voltage . but I prefer cheap AC source because it have isolate tranformer inside (SPWM) and can set current limit to prevent your DUT from blowing up

SM8800, I can't find it here in Mexico. How much should it cost?

On 9/3/2021 at 11:17 AM, Caroline said:

is it? I made an account last year but never used it. RIP I guess.

yes it it since a while ago

On 8/30/2021 at 4:57 AM, f14 said:

easy way 

thanks

On 9/3/2021 at 6:05 PM, goofyOne said:

I think it depends what sort of testing you need to do.   Do you just need to check the voltages, ie: that the power supply is working?     Testing them under load is a bit more advanced and would require a more expensive setup.

If you just want to check the voltages, there are cheap ATX PSU breakout boards, and also voltage checkers.   For example only:  PSU tester,   PSU Breakout

{GoofyOne's 2c worth ... which may or may not be actually worth 2c}

I mean a full lab for testing PSUs, trying to emulate what aris does @ tomshw and TPU

if not, at least GN like level of detail in reviews

Just now, 17030644 said:

SM8800, I can't find it here in Mexico. How much should it cost?

you can contact directly to sunmoon. http://www.sunmoontec.com they have local sale in US. that good for you.
if you want something like Aris you need spend more money than Sunmoon equipment. and you need learn to design the software control via SCPI ,because chroma sell software control separate and it not cheap too. (I have use labview in before ). but for ATX psu review I think sunmoon is enough.

1 minute ago, f14 said:

you can contact directly to sunmoon. http://www.sunmoontec.com they have local sale in US. that good for you.
if you want something like Aris you need spend more money than Sunmoon equipment. and you need learn to design the software control via SCPI ,because chroma sell software control separate and it not cheap too. (I have use labview in before ). but for ATX psu review I think sunmoon is enough.

You think sunmoon is enough? ok, roger that, thank you