Analog Button Timers Arduino Project - Final Shopping List time

Jtalk4456

OK so I have ADHD and I'm struggling with time management, among many other things. I use timers a lot, but with a phone timer or google home timer, it's so easy to stop it and just ignore the necessary next task. Snoozing is basically an issue I want to deal with better. I think for me it would be better to have a physical button to press, one with individual buttons for preset times (5 min, 15 min, 30 min, 1 hr) and just a very tactile button so that I'm getting more of a mental connection with the action than just talking to google home or pressing a touchscreen And a nice loud alarm ofc that I have to hit the button again to stop. I looked around and couldn't find anything like this and was wondering if someone could guide me how to set up something like this on my own. any advice would be greatly appreciated. I plan to put it at my computer desk, so bonus points if it can be powered by USB

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Not quite what you're asking but...

I use my old Nokia 1200 phone like that, to wake me up. I set reminder at 7:10, 7:20 and 7:30 and it beeps (or plays one of the preinstalled ringers) for like 30s to 1m unless you hit snooze or dismiss, and it's quite loud. Don't need a SIM card installed for it to work as a clock, and the battery lasts for weeks.

You can buy one on eBay from around $15 : https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=nokia+1200&_sacat=0

The phone was so cheap they didn't even put usb on it, it charges through a very small barrel jack connector.

Have you considered a Clocky? The anticipation of chasing a clock around could have you ready to switch from one task to the next. It doesn't really fit the preset times thing though. For preset times there's also the good old egg timer. 

https://clocky.com

https://www.amazon.com/KeeQii-Magnetic-Countdown-Stainless-Mechanical/dp/B076SDM3ZD/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=egg+timer&qid=1630189434&sr=8-17

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

16 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Not quite what you're asking but...

I use my old Nokia 1200 phone like that, to wake me up. I set reminder at 7:10, 7:20 and 7:30 and it beeps (or plays one of the preinstalled ringers) for like 30s to 1m unless you hit snooze or dismiss, and it's quite loud. Don't need a SIM card installed for it to work as a clock, and the battery lasts for weeks.

You can buy one on eBay from around $15 : https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=nokia+1200&_sacat=0

The phone was so cheap they didn't even put usb on it, it charges through a very small barrel jack connector.

13 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Have you considered a Clocky? The anticipation of chasing a clock around could have you ready to switch from one task to the next. It doesn't really fit the preset times thing though. For preset times there's also the good old egg timer. 

https://clocky.com

https://www.amazon.com/KeeQii-Magnetic-Countdown-Stainless-Mechanical/dp/B076SDM3ZD/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=egg+timer&qid=1630189434&sr=8-17

The issue is that I have a hard time with motivation and following thru with things. So if the process has any extra steps (setting alarms, chasing clocks, turning the timer to a certain spot each time) I'm far less likely to use it. That's why I was going for a very simple button design, just hooking up a button to a loud timer and everything is preset. press to start and press to stop. I think that analog simplicity would be simple enough that I could consistently force myself to do it

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

So To give a better idea what I'm looking for, I'm thinking buttons like these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QKKZ2J4/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07QKKZ2J4p13NParams&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRUdIVEw4UFBLWVZZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzYwMDY5Mkw4UDFHSTdZTkxWTyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTc4NzczMUlZMTdHRkpSUVNOUyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbDImYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Mounting-Momentary-Button-Mushroom/dp/B07FKQ29B3/ref=pd_di_sccai_5/138-6357274-1947902?pd_rd_w=6iGmI&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=Z6ANV2AQ767RF7N321JR&pd_rd_r=fd636518-a17a-4f69-892c-cf3eee915f39&pd_rd_wg=CCQnE&pd_rd_i=B07FKQ29B3&psc=1

I really like the look of these, but I'd prefer them in 30mm like the others. I've got big hands
https://www.amazon.com/Momentary-Mushroom-Self-Reset-Terminal-Waterproof/dp/B0983YNWR2/ref=sr_1_86_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=metal+Momentary+Push+Button+Switch+mushroom+head&qid=1630195022&sr=8-86-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzT08zUFVGNzVVMEdYJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTc5MTA0MlZEOUZYNVdVVVFLNiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjE3MjY4MkpFUVowQk5GSDJMTiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I'm thinking of setting these into a small wooden box that I'll make, I've got plenty of woodworking skills. 

But if I got something like these, what would I need to do to set up these timers? I haven't really had the time to get into hobby electronics, so I'm completely new to this part, but I'm very good with tools, so I just need the guidance and I can do whatever is needed

Could be a fun use case for an arduino. Swap the code a little so you also have an off button(I didn't watch the video to see how it all works) and make the buttons add 5, 10 or 15 increments instead of 1 minute to work a little bit better for you. 

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/wseltzer/30-minute-timer-alarm-clock-b3e04f

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

7 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Could be a fun use case for an arduino. Swap the code a little so you also have an off button(I didn't watch the video to see how it all works) and make the buttons add 5, 10 or 15 increments instead of 1 minute to work a little bit better for you. 

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/wseltzer/30-minute-timer-alarm-clock-b3e04f

I'm gonna need more than a "gentle gong" XD but yeah this sounds like what I need to learn for this! Thanks

Hey! As someone in the same boat, I've found some good ways to keep on top of this - one of my favorites is this specific Taylor timer - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00UKIOKRG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It provides both a visual and a audible alarm once the clock runs out. I use it to pace myself when working in my shop - its magnetic too so you can stick it on a fridge or case and being able to quickly glance at it and see how much time is left is awesome. 

59 minutes ago, ColinLTT said:

Hey! As someone in the same boat, I've found some good ways to keep on top of this - one of my favorites is this specific Taylor timer - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00UKIOKRG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It provides both a visual and a audible alarm once the clock runs out. I use it to pace myself when working in my shop - its magnetic too so you can stick it on a fridge or case and being able to quickly glance at it and see how much time is left is awesome. 

unfortunately I've tried similar ones with turning the clock, and my adhd is bad enough that extra step each time leaves me never using it. It sucks, but on the plus, I was pointed to arduino above and I made a post on their forum and I'm getting a lot of help there on the project! It's awesome getting a response from the LTT staff though! I think I will add the magnet part to it though. Taking out to the kitchen would be great while doing chores!

Here's a few ideas:

1) The push-button switches used for guitar pedals (I guess they call them "toe switches" or "stomp switches") are very robust, and some of them have a very beastly snap-action to them. I like using them for the "manual trigger" button on pulse generator boxes, since it gets heavily abused and there is no questioning whether it activated or not. You might like them for this application.

2) You also might consider a rotary switch for selecting times. I tend to use Lorlin / C&K switches when I need something cheap but serviceable, or Grayhill / Electroswitch when I want the very best.

3) There are essentially two ways of implementing this. You can do it with a microcontroller (like an arduino) or you can do it with individual logic chips. The microcontroller will be more compact and easier to implement, individual logic chips is more fun. Some of this depends on how much you just want to "get it done" and how much you want to do an engineering project. Either option can run off of a 5V supply, so it can definitely be USB powered. 

4) Make sure you have some sort of debouncing on the switches. 

There should be lots of "kitchen timer" projects out there, I know I had to design something along those lines (using discrete chips) as a part of a logic class at one point

Something like this perhaps:

image.png.aa4fff8dd4b3aa0ddc9c5d7ccf9588af.png

and then some code like this:

void setup() {
  pinMode(9, OUTPUT); //this pin connects to the buzzer
}

void loop() {

if(analogRead(A5) > 1000){ //begin execution if the button is pressed

delay(10000); //this is your timer in ms, here it's set to 10 seconds, fill in whatever value you want
    digitalWrite(9, HIGH); //turn on buzzer
    while(analogRead(A5) < 1000); //wait for the button to be pressed. if the button isn't pressed, the code remains stuck in this loop (with the buzzer still on!)
    digitalWrite(9, LOW); //turn buzzer back off

}

//if you have more buttons for different timers, simply repeat the code above with the different pin number and timer value

}

17 hours ago, H713 said:

Here's a few ideas:

1) The push-button switches used for guitar pedals (I guess they call them "toe switches" or "stomp switches") are very robust, and some of them have a very beastly snap-action to them. I like using them for the "manual trigger" button on pulse generator boxes, since it gets heavily abused and there is no questioning whether it activated or not. You might like them for this application.

2) You also might consider a rotary switch for selecting times. I tend to use Lorlin / C&K switches when I need something cheap but serviceable, or Grayhill / Electroswitch when I want the very best.

3) There are essentially two ways of implementing this. You can do it with a microcontroller (like an arduino) or you can do it with individual logic chips. The microcontroller will be more compact and easier to implement, individual logic chips is more fun. Some of this depends on how much you just want to "get it done" and how much you want to do an engineering project. Either option can run off of a 5V supply, so it can definitely be USB powered. 

4) Make sure you have some sort of debouncing on the switches. 

There should be lots of "kitchen timer" projects out there, I know I had to design something along those lines (using discrete chips) as a part of a logic class at one point

1. You talking like this? https://www.hawkusa.com/manufacturers/zf-formerly-cherry/switches/sub-miniature-snap-action/db2c-a1rc?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItIPyh-be8gIVg-iGCh1qFQq7EAQYAiABEgJ2nvD_BwE

Can those be implemented in arduino? How would I add a button surface to it that I could press on?

2. I want these to be preset, no changing settings or dialing to the perfect spot. Just 4 buttons in a row, one for each time. So those won't work for me, but for someone without adhd, they could definitely help

3. currently I'm on the arduino forum going through it, so that's my current plan. Got some money coming in a week or two, I've been told I need an Arduino Nano, a 1602 display with backpack I think, and then the buttons and I haven't gotten into the finer details yet. 

4. Sure yeah definitely, and just so anyone else reading this knows what debouncing is, could you just explain that for them? I'd do it but I'm terrible at explaining things... XD

4 hours ago, akio123008 said:

Something like this perhaps:

image.png.aa4fff8dd4b3aa0ddc9c5d7ccf9588af.png

and then some code like this:

void setup() {
  pinMode(9, OUTPUT); //this pin connects to the buzzer
}

void loop() {

if(analogRead(A5) > 1000){ //begin execution if the button is pressed

delay(10000); //this is your timer in ms, here it's set to 10 seconds, fill in whatever value you want
    digitalWrite(9, HIGH); //turn on buzzer
    while(analogRead(A5) < 1000); //wait for the button to be pressed. if the button isn't pressed, the code remains stuck in this loop (with the buzzer still on!)
    digitalWrite(9, LOW); //turn buzzer back off

}

//if you have more buttons for different timers, simply repeat the code above with the different pin number and timer value

}

How do I adapt this for having the little 1602 displaying bars for how much time is left?

17 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Got some money coming in a week or two, I've been told I need an Arduino Nano, a 1602 display with backpack I think, and then the buttons and I haven't gotten into the finer details yet. 

Why the nano? Smaller isn't always better. It's just more of a pain to wire everything up. 

How do I adapt this for having the little 1602 displaying bars for how much time is left?

I'm not too familiar with the display (I've used it but long ago) so I can't come up with the code off the top of my head but a very basic way of doing it would come down to:

- before you start the delay you put say 4 bars on the screen

- then follows a delay that's 0.25x the total time

- then clear the screen and write 3 bars

- then another 0.25x the total time delay

- then clear the screen and write 2 bars

and so on.

There's probably more elegant ways of doing it but that's the simplest approach.

Sure yeah definitely, and just so anyone else reading this knows what debouncing is, could you just explain that for them? I'd do it but I'm terrible at explaining things... XD

You don't need to debounce anything here.

When you press a button it often "bounces" back and forth between on and off a few times very rapidly due to the mechanics of the button (so fast a human wouldn't notice). If you have a system where every button press is registered, (let's say you're counting the button presses) this can be a problem, because you might just press the button once, but due to bouncing it counts like 4 presses or whatever.

Debouncing basically means that the input waits for the button to stabilise before it registers the press, to solve this problem.

In your application however, once the button is pressed, the timer starts. It doesn't matter if the button bounces a bit, because once the timer starts, well, it just goes. So the button might go "ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON" and then remain on, but really the software just started the timer on the first "ON" and then stopped caring. So here debouncing doesn't do much.

2 hours ago, akio123008 said:

1. Why the nano? Smaller isn't always better. It's just more of a pain to wire everything up. 

2. I'm not too familiar with the display (I've used it but long ago) so I can't come up with the code off the top of my head but a very basic way of doing it would come down to:

- before you start the delay you put say 4 bars on the screen

- then follows a delay that's 0.25x the total time

- then clear the screen and write 3 bars

- then another 0.25x the total time delay

- then clear the screen and write 2 bars

and so on.

3. When you press a button it often "bounces" back and forth between on and off a few times very rapidly due to the mechanics of the button (so fast a human wouldn't notice). If you have a system where every button press is registered, (let's say you're counting the button presses) this can be a problem, because you might just press the button once, but due to bouncing it counts like 4 presses or whatever.

Debouncing basically means that the input waits for the button to stabilise before it registers the press, to solve this problem.

In your application however, once the button is pressed, the timer starts. It doesn't matter if the button bounces a bit, because once the timer starts, well, it just goes. So the button might go "ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON" and then remain on, but really the software just started the timer on the first "ON" and then stopped caring. So here debouncing doesn't do much.

1. IDK, I just posted a similar thing on the Arduino forum and that's the board I was recommended. I have NO experience with arduino, so I'm just going off recommendations. I'm fine to work in tight spaces though, I don't want this box on my desk to be too large. not sure if the nano is too small or just right for what i'm looking at.

2. makes sense, thanks

3. ok so it might matter to me though, not sure. I intend for pressing the button to turn off when the alarm is going off. Could i make it where that only turns off once the alarm is done?

59 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

not sure if the nano is too small or just right for what i'm looking at

Well it's fine and it does allow for a very compact device but then connecting wires is also kind of a pain; the nano uses pins so you have to either stick it into a breadboard/perfboard to connect wires to it, or you have to solder the wires directly to its pins.

The Uno on the other hand allows you to stick wires straight into the board which is convenient when you're trying to build a prototype fast. Typically people use a big board like the Uno as a test board and then once everything works the final version of the device can use some smaller version. Therefore I recommend buying a big board first, as you'll be able to use that as a test board for all possible future projects. The small boards are cool, but IMO the bigger ones are an essential thing to get started.

59 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I intend for pressing the button to turn off when the alarm is going off. Could i make it where that only turns off once the alarm is done?

In the code I put in my first post the button is used to turn off the alarm, but only once it sounds. So when the timer is running but the alarm hasn't sounded yet, pressing the button does nothing.

I did make one mistake, which is that after turning the buzzer off you should use some small delay so that turning off the alarm doesn't also restart the timer. So for example put "delay(5000);" on the last line. Then once you turn the buzzer off, the arduino will wait for 5 seconds before the button is checked again.

2 hours ago, akio123008 said:

Well it's fine and it does allow for a very compact device but then connecting wires is also kind of a pain; the nano uses pins so you have to either stick it into a breadboard/perfboard to connect wires to it, or you have to solder the wires directly to its pins.

The Uno on the other hand allows you to stick wires straight into the board which is convenient when you're trying to build a prototype fast. Typically people use a big board like the Uno as a test board and then once everything works the final version of the device can use some smaller version. Therefore I recommend buying a big board first, as you'll be able to use that as a test board for all possible future projects. The small boards are cool, but IMO the bigger ones are an essential thing to get started.

In the code I put in my first post the button is used to turn off the alarm, but only once it sounds. So when the timer is running but the alarm hasn't sounded yet, pressing the button does nothing.

I did make one mistake, which is that after turning the buzzer off you should use some small delay so that turning off the alarm doesn't also restart the timer. So for example put "delay(5000);" on the last line. Then once you turn the buzzer off, the arduino will wait for 5 seconds before the button is checked again.

cool, i'm gonna look at how big the uno actually is real quick, it's going in a box anyways so if it's easier and fit, then even better

Edit: about 5x7 cm, so pretty small, I think I'll just stick with that then if it works

This is the kind of switch I was talking about. Never bought from this supplier, but I was too lazy to dig through the DK parametric search:

https://lovemyswitches.com/spst-momentary-foot-switch-normally-closed-vampire-fangs/

Also, there is one advantage to the Arduino Nano over the Uno, and that's that it conveniently plugs into a breadboard, or a socket on a PCB. I prefer prototyping this way rather than jumpering a bunch of wires from the Uno over to a breadboard. Of course, if you want to use a shield on the Uno, 

As for debouncing, if you're implementing it such that one push of the button starts the timer, and subsequent pushes do nothing until it rings, then there's no need (as mentioned by others above). If, however, you decide you want a second push of the button to stop the timer, for example, you could run into issues.

Contact bounce is exactly what it sounds like. The contacts literally "bounce" off each other as they come together. It's present in almost all mechanical switches. The few exceptions are things like mercury-wetted contacts, which most people don't have access to. 

• 1 month later...

OK I'm needing some help, I've got money ready to start buying and doing this so I need a final parts list once-over. I tried on the arduino forum, but I can't get any specific answers out of them. They keep linking me documentation sheets for lists and product categories of things I've made clear I don't know what I'm looking for. I'm hoping I can get some more specific help here.

Buttons: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BKW5426/

Screen for displaying remaining time: https://www.amazon.com/JANSANE-Arduino-Display-Interface-Raspberry/dp/B07D83DY17/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=1602+lcd+with+backpack&qid=1633622584&sr=8-3

Buzzer for Alarm: ? Still haven't gotten a reservation on that. Don't know if i need a small bell type deal or a speaker and memory to save a chime or something

Main Board: Some say Uno, some say Nano, not sure which I need. I can solder if needed, my dad has the tools, but it's been a while since I've done that and if I can do without soldering since it's enclosed in a box and not moving, I'd prefer just plug and play.

Wiring: ? I assume I need some wires or plugs of some kind, not sure what. Once I have the parts I can figure the assembly, I'm very familiar with tools and electronics, I just haven't worked on the board scale before.

Again Any advice is greatly appreciated. I want to purchase the parts within the next week if I can

On 10/9/2021 at 1:22 AM, Jtalk4456 said:

Some say Uno, some say Nano, not sure which I need.

Uno is easier to plug wires straight into. If you go with a nano you'd have to stick it into a perfboard or breadboard.

I assume I need some wires or plugs of some kind

You can get a bag of jumper wires for arduino, which is the easiest way to get something built in a plug-and-play fashion. 

The other option is to just buy a bunch of thin wire on spools and cut your own wires. This what I do, I work on electronics rather often so I just have a stockpile of wire of all sorts.

Buzzer for Alarm: ? Still haven't gotten a reservation on that. Don't know if i need a small bell type deal or a speaker and memory to save a chime or something

You don't need to make it complicated. There are buzzers you can buy for arduino that just begin to buzz once you apply a voltage. No need to store an audio file.

You can just pick any simple speaker or buzzer and put them on the PWM pins of the arduino uno (The pins with the ~ next to them) TBH, the code here could be way more sefisticated. But have you already looked at digital kitchen timers? It looks like they will fulfill your requirements with the physical buttons and everything and is way easier, less fragile and probaly cheaper to use.

4 hours ago, akio123008 said:

Uno is easier to plug wires straight into. If you go with a nano you'd have to stick it into a perfboard or breadboard.

You can get a bag of jumper wires for arduino, which is the easiest way to get something built in a plug-and-play fashion. 

The other option is to just buy a bunch of thin wire on spools and cut your own wires. This what I do, I work on electronics rather often so I just have a stockpile of wire of all sorts.

You don't need to make it complicated. There are buzzers you can buy for arduino that just begin to buzz once you apply a voltage. No need to store an audio file.

3 hours ago, 07_Sev said:

You can just pick any simple speaker or buzzer and put them on the PWM pins of the arduino uno (The pins with the ~ next to them) TBH, the code here could be way more sefisticated. But have you already looked at digital kitchen timers? It looks like they will fulfill your requirements with the physical buttons and everything and is way easier, less fragile and probaly cheaper to use.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info! So I was looking for the uno and found this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D8KOZF4/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01D8KOZF4&pd_rd_w=hWU7A&pf_rd_p=9fd3ea7c-b77c-42ac-b43b-c872d3f37c38&pd_rd_wg=lEQGo&pf_rd_r=BC73MZMD3K2E25KXSRPM&pd_rd_r=95855faf-b171-4e69-895f-c19fa8c96e8e&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFJV0IzQjczR0QzUTImZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2NDI3NzkyNks2VzA4ODFaRUlJJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTEwMDEzNzYzVFNPV0pHQ01HTlNCJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

If I'm not mistaken, that looks to cover the uno, the jumper wires, the screen and backpack module, a few buzzers along with a bunch of other stuff I could have fun with at a later time messing around. So If that works, that covers 3 things and I would only need the buttons.

Does that seem like a good option for this?

3 hours ago, 07_Sev said:

But have you already looked at digital kitchen timers? It looks like they will fulfill your requirements with the physical buttons and everything and is way easier, less fragile and probaly cheaper to use.

The issue is with my ADHD. Anything I have to constantly change the timer setting to use, whether pressing the buttons to select times or twisting an egg timer, is an extra step that leads to my brain getting bored and deciding not to use it. With what I'm doing, it's just sitting there and I hit the button and off I go, tactile feedback, auditory alarm, don't have to set the timer to what I want each time, it's all super convenient, which is perfect for my brain. Also starting an Arduino hobby is really motivating for my brain lol