PC starts without 6pin pcie connector connected but not when it IS connected to GPU

So basically what the computer does when i try to start it with the pcie connector plugged in is that the power light turns on but nothing happens, no fans spinning anywhere, hard drive not starting. Only power led comes on.

When the 6 pin pcie connector isnt plugged in the computer starts as normal and demands me to connect the pcie connector. I'm suspecting a short, but how would i fix this and at what point might the short be happening?

I have tried the gpu in question with multiple psu:s and motherboards.

system specs (if it matters):

ASUS GTX 660 2GB (the smallest one)

fujitsu lga775 motherboard

q9400 stock clocks and voltages

500gb hdd

8 gigs of samsung ddr3 1333mhz

300 watt liteon psu

also tested with:

asrock p67 extreme6 board and an xfx550 watt psu

acer h61 board and 650 watt psu

asus z170 pro gaming and corsair rmx750w psu

(same results with everything)

Am I correct in assuming that you are connecting the proper cable to the PSU and to the GPU? If the system is totally lifeless when it's connected then it sounds like something on the GPU is shorted. You could look for obvious physical signs of shorting, perhaps by the power connector on the card itself. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

I am absolutely 110% sure that i am connecting the correct cable. I will try and have a look closer but yesterday there appeared some gunk for the lack of a better word on and next to a little chip on the board. It didnt seem burnt and i cleaned it off with alcohol (attached picture). This stuff wasnt near the power connectors however so i didnt think it could be the culprit. nothing seemed to be wrong next to the pcie connector but i will update you if i see something in closer inspection.

Thank you for your reply.

gtx660problem.jpg

Alright I just tested the card again without the power connector with the asrock p67 extreme6 and xfx 550 watt and after some time of trying to get a picture of any kind on the screen, i started to smell burning at this point i decided to flip the psu off and luckily no damage seems to be done to it. the card does smell quite bad and a quick touch test revealed that some caps got extremely hot. any idea on why this could be??? taking apart the card now to see if theres damage.

this is entirely not good is it? this is the reason the adjacent caps were quite hot. i dont know what this part is but its dead im pretty sure... well unless anyone knows what to do from here... R.I.P.

wellshit.jpg

3 hours ago, KuroiBullen said:

this is entirely not good is it? this is the reason the adjacent caps were quite hot. i dont know what this part is but its dead im pretty sure... well unless anyone knows what to do from here... R.I.P.

Not good at all. I'd say it's dead.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15