Does Zoom/Google Meet run on old-school Pentium Dual Core + 1 GB RAM?

Laptop went died all of sudden (which I assumed the PCB power line's f up), still trying to get it fixed (I know it won't be as reliable as before, at least I gave the laptop more usable time to use it). 

Got an old PC, Pentium Dual Core 1.8 GHz, 1 GB of RAM. College starts next week, which includes lots of Zoom/Google Meet. Getting another laptop's not an option for now. 

It will run, or not? As long as I can attend the courses.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

Maybe, but 1GB of RAM is quite a large bottleneck for basically anything. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Yes I used to use a system like this but upgrade to 4 or 8 gb for ram it probobly used ddr2

30 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Laptop went died all of sudden (which I assumed the PCB power line's f up), still trying to get it fixed (I know it won't be as reliable as before, at least I gave the laptop more usable time to use it). 

Got an old PC, Pentium Dual Core 1.8 GHz, 1 GB of RAM. College starts next week, which includes lots of Zoom/Google Meet. Getting another laptop's not an option for now. 

It will run, or not? As long as I can attend the courses.

Full system specs?

1.8ghz suggests a pentium e2160, great overclocker cpu btw, i suggest bsel modding to 266mhz fsb for 2.4ghz, maybe even try bsel to 333mhz but youll prob need to voltmod which is prob gonna be a pain in the ass

And what is your mobo model and chipset? Cause if you got a good mobo with a good chipset you can do some pretty decent ocing for better performance, and if you say you are not willing to oc i will laugh at you, 45nm core cpus will handle around 1.6v daily just fine, upto 2v even but thats basically a death zone voltage, 65nm i think handles around 1.7v daily 2.1v death zone, although you will prob not have the cooling to even reach anywhere near these voltages

And yes, i do suggest upgrading your ram to 4gb ddr2 or if you have a chipset thats g31 or newer and if you can find 4gb ddr2 ram stick, you can upgrade to 8 or for some mobos with 4 slots even 16gb ddr2, though these 4gb ddr2 rams are usually marketed towards amd which is bs unless you are running a chipset older than g31 such as 945 or 965

Do you have phone? It wil lwork, better than PC. And you might even be bit better using phone for classes while making notes on PC.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 8/25/2021 at 11:06 PM, BondiBlue said:

Maybe, but 1GB of RAM is quite a large bottleneck for basically anything. 

On 8/25/2021 at 11:12 PM, StDragon said:

You need at least 4GB RAM just to run the OS, an app or two without it having to thrash the disk from paging memory in and out.

Yeah, hate the fact that RAM needs to be bigger nowadays. 

On 8/25/2021 at 11:12 PM, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

I suppose some lightweight Linux distribution could handle this.

Actually got Linux Mint installed there already.

On 8/25/2021 at 11:37 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Full system specs?

1.8ghz suggests a pentium e2160, great overclocker cpu btw, i suggest bsel modding to 266mhz fsb for 2.4ghz, maybe even try bsel to 333mhz but youll prob need to voltmod which is prob gonna be a pain in the ass

And what is your mobo model and chipset? Cause if you got a good mobo with a good chipset you can do some pretty decent ocing for better performance, and if you say you are not willing to oc i will laugh at you, 45nm core cpus will handle around 1.6v daily just fine, upto 2v even but thats basically a death zone voltage, 65nm i think handles around 1.7v daily 2.1v death zone, although you will prob not have the cooling to even reach anywhere near these voltages

And yes, i do suggest upgrading your ram to 4gb ddr2 or if you have a chipset thats g31 or newer and if you can find 4gb ddr2 ram stick, you can upgrade to 8 or for some mobos with 4 slots even 16gb ddr2, though these 4gb ddr2 rams are usually marketed towards amd which is bs unless you are running a chipset older than g31 such as 945 or 965

Hell of a detailed answer, and yes, if I remember correctly, it's E2160, no GPU (welp it has 'fake' NVIDIA GPU that I can't even install its driver). Forgot what's the chipset tho.

Overclocking would be a problem, as it's got '500W' PSU that I wouldn't trust much for even standard usage with discrete GPU, and... I don't think it would work with OEM Intel cooler. 

Noted tho for future, as I think I can have a decent gaming machine (well, at least for Dota) with that OC tip of yours if I can get a e decent GPU and monitor. Thanks! 

On 8/26/2021 at 1:20 AM, LogicalDrm said:

Do you have phone? It wil lwork, better than PC. And you might even be bit better using phone for classes while making notes on PC.

As the days pass, realized that way would be actually the most efficient way to do it.

Hate the strain on my phone that have to Zoom + hotspot tethering (welp everyone loves my data plan) all the day tho. 

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

2 hours ago, dhannemon13 said:

Hate the strain on my phone that have to Zoom + hotspot tethering (welp everyone loves my data plan) all the day tho. 

Getting second device for that would be cheaper than new pc/laptop. Well, almost. Good used laptop is about $300, and good deal gets new for same price.
Used phones and tablets are maybe half of that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Getting second device for that would be cheaper than new pc/laptop. Well, almost. Good used laptop is about $300, and good deal gets new for same price.
Used phones and tablets are maybe half of that.

Perhaps I can even get it cheaper than $300 if chosen right.

Perhaps a secondhand X260 (so I can reuse my RAM and SSDs) would be a choice for later on. 

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio