Barking and Dagenham switches from Windows XP to Google Chromebooks, saves around £400,000

JantsoP

Google has scored a major win on the back of Microsoft’s Windows XP support cut-off, as the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham has started a major migration project to Chromebooks and Chromeboxes ahead of the 8 April deadline.

The council was previously running 3,500 Windows XP desktops and 800 XP laptops, and is currently in the process of retiring these in favour of around 2,000 Samsung 303Cs Chromebooks and 300 Chromeboxes, mainly for meeting rooms, reception areas and libraries across the borough.

And i just posted the other day that UK Goverment is paying Microsoft to keep XP alive for them... What the actual f*ck now?

Source: http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2337542/barking-and-dagenham-switches-from-windows-xp-to-google-chromebooks-saves-around-gbp400-000

So much Google win...

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

ehh these guys are stupid

would have been cheaper to switch to Ubuntu or even just install Chrome OS on those desktops and laptops

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Seems like all those desktops are now turning into chromebooks. I want to see the after effect statistics of people now working at home with their chromebooks.

would have been cheaper to switch to Ubuntu or even just install Chrome OS on those desktops and laptops

Yes it might be cheaper but they might feel like the need to change hardware as well.You must remember that this is 6-7 years old machines.

Yes it might be cheaper but they might feel like the need to change hardware as well.You must remember that this is 6-7 years old machines.

Linux systems have an amazing track record with old hardware compatibility be it 5-8 year old wifi cards  or sound cards

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I don't see people accustomed to XP going over to Ubuntu without any hiccups. People won't have a clue where things are. 

On the other hand, a ton of people use Google Chrome so they will likely be familiar with that interface. Chromebooks are ridiculously cheap too and I'm sure the organization got some kind of discount for ordering in bulk. I bet it will cut down on help desk tickets or reduce the amount of time to solve them

• no maintenance required
  • training people on them shouldn't be too difficult
  • easily resolvable help desk issues

The list goes on...

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I don't see people accustomed to XP going over to Ubuntu without any hiccups. People won't have a clue where things are. 

On the other hand, a ton of people use Google Chrome so they will likely be familiar with that interface. Chromebooks are ridiculously cheap too and I'm sure the organization got some kind of discount for ordering in bulk. I bet it will cut down on help desk tickets or reduce the amount of time to solve them

• no maintenance required
  • training people on them shouldn't be too difficult
  • easily resolvable help desk issues

The list goes on...

as i said they could have gone with ubuntu OR CHROME OS its free...

just shows they wanted to buy new hardware and not just save money

Like I said, I think people would adjust quicker to Chrome OS easier.

Regarding the installation Chrome OS, I thought it was only tied to Chromebooks still? Even if it isn't, I'm sure a long term cost analysis was done to evaluate the cost of this migration. I bet adopting this hardware is cheaper in the long run then replacing parts of failing desktops and laptops that will continue to become more and more expensive to maintain as time passes. Chances are that the hardware support from their vendor has expired too. All of these are assumptions based off of speculation of course. I have no solid facts to back this. My post is purely a hypothetical "what if?"

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Yeah that's what i mean. This is 6-7 years old machines so they might had old processor and anything else old. If i had a 7 years old machine that run win xp,i might as well change whole system altogether .This deal might also consist some support or training from google.

Probably more than that. Town governments are know for using antiques. :P

My youtube channel: itsMrN

I want to know how much will be their losses when they realize Chromebooks aren't that productive also holy shit this thing is nothing like the PCs we have been using for the past decade, call the tech support how do you turn this thing on etc...

Switching to Linux would have been a far better and more future-proof idea. How do we even know Chromebooks will be around/supported by Google for the next 10 years. Chromebooks without Google is useless. Linux will always live on since it's not tied to any one company.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Hey it goes nice with the other news:

1) Brits and Dutch: We'll have to basically bribe Microsoft so they keep giving us XP support

http://www.techspot.com/news/56282-windows-xp-support-dutch-government-enters-into-multi-million-euro-deal-with-microsoft.html

2) Brits: We just saved a ton of money by switching to Chrome

3) ????

4) Profit!

-------

Current Rig

-------