Is OLED Burn in Resistance Good enough now?

atavax

I have a primary computer monitor and am looking at a tv/gaming display for playing pretty games on, watching youtube, streamers, or movies from the PC. The great colors make OLED very tempting along with it's low input lag and response time. I think at this point I'm mostly concerned about burn in.

completely depends on the display.

There's been a number of tests with different TVs testing for burn in, some start to show it at 1000 hours of running 24/7 with a static image, others can last 9000+ hours with no evidence of burn in.

On a computer monitor the biggest "risk" is the task bar, but you can set this to auto-hide if you're really that worried about it. I wouldn't worry about game huds unless you're playing the same game every day for years

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I wouldn't use one as a main display because web browsing desktop use, etc. will accumulate enough static images that burn in might be unavoidable.

But if you only use it for varied content like playing games, watching movies and have a different display for desktop useage and browsing then burn-in risk is next to nothing.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

It will never be good enough, it's just the nature of the organic part of it.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I used one of my LG B9s as a monitor and it did burn in Chrome in about 4900 hours. It is hardly noticeable but it can't be unseen. 

I used all the nannies and switch off when not using it.

Now my OLEDs are for gaming and TV content only. I use a 49" LG IPS 120hz TV for browsing since I got use to using big displays with the OLEDs and did not want to go back to tiny monitors.   

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

No problem as long as you vary the content and do not to leave anything static on screen. You should hide desktop icons, set the toolbar to hide automatically and set a true black wallpaper or set your wallpapers in automatic rotation. Had my LG B8 for 3 years now and no burn in.

LG A7 here and no sign of burn-ins for the past 3 years. They should invest and focus more on the MicroLED instead of milking LCD to death and after death.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Here is a list of habitual changes u'd want to make to massively reduce the risk of noticeable pixel degradation (aka Burn-In), when used as a PC display.

• Auto Hide task bar enabled
  • Minimal Desktop Icons
  • Transparent desktop icon
  • Black, or multiple different full-screen Animated Desktop backgrounds
  • Enable Windows Screen saver (basic black screen or something simply like 'Mystify')
  • Never open a windowed program, (EG browsers) full-screen. Manual adjust window size so u can move it around.
  • Regularly adjust/move game and program UIs so they are not always in the same place on screen, alternatively set their transparency high enough to allow pixels to change color.

Habitual changes such as getting used to not 'maximizing' windows like browsers will take time to get used to, but once u do u wont realize ur doing it. I know, i've been doing it for ~10 years with my plasma display.

For animated desktop backgrounds and transparent desktop icons, u can use Wallpaper Engine, available on Steam (its cheap).

Do these things and u pritty much cover all the usual instances of static images that PC use has that adds to 'burn-in' risk.

Also a FYI. LGs 42" OLED display is scheduled for 1st half of 2022 now, they delayed it for marketing reasons. So if u think 48" is to big u may want to hold of till next year to grab the 42".

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

5 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Also a FYI. LGs 42" OLED display is scheduled for 1st half of 2022 now, they delayed it for marketing reasons. So if u think 48" is to big u may want to hold of till next year to grab the 42".

meh; it's replacing a 55" display,  I think 48" will be fine. thanks for the tips. If you use multiple displays, can you hide the task bar in only one or do i have to have it hidden in all of them?