How to isolate my desktop from train vibration?

I live next to a railway, and I am a little concerned about the life span of my HDDs. I have been thinking of making a vibration isolated small stand for my computer (pic attached), but I am unsure how to do it or what material I should be looking for.

Any suggestions?

s-l1600.jpg

3 minutes ago, sborquez said:

I live next to a railway, and I am a little concerned about the life span of my HDDs. I have been thinking of making a vibration isolated small stand for my computer (pic attached), but I am unsure how to do it or what material I should be looking for.

Any suggestions?

s-l1600.jpg

You could buy a cheap one off Amazon or the likes.

PLEASE TAG ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLY!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  | Motherboard: Asus TUF X570 Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gbx2 3600Mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080 | PSU: NZXT C850 | Case: Corsair 5000D AF | Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb m.2 ssd + Samsung 860 EVO 1tb ssd | Monitor: LG 49WL95C-W | Peripherals: Logitech G815 + Razer Viper Ultimate + Razer Kraken TE | Audio: Logitech G560 

1 minute ago, Carbonado said:

You could buy a cheap one off Amazon or the likes.

that is, if the cost of that is significantly less than going all-ssd.

1 minute ago, curiousmind34 said:

that is, if the cost of that is significantly less than going all-ssd.

yup exactly, ssds have gotten very cheap now, to the point where you could find a good ssd withing the budget of a hdd too

PLEASE TAG ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLY!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  | Motherboard: Asus TUF X570 Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gbx2 3600Mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080 | PSU: NZXT C850 | Case: Corsair 5000D AF | Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb m.2 ssd + Samsung 860 EVO 1tb ssd | Monitor: LG 49WL95C-W | Peripherals: Logitech G815 + Razer Viper Ultimate + Razer Kraken TE | Audio: Logitech G560 

9 minutes ago, sborquez said:

Any suggestions?

s-l1600.jpg

This really wouldn't be too hard if you have the tools on hand. It could be easily done with a random cut of wood from your local hardware store, and handful of nails and some wheels. Most employees in a store (especially an ACE Hardware if you live somewhere where they exist) could quite easily find everything you would need to make such a thing. If you don't have the tools, your best bet is looking on amazon for something under the effect of "rolling computer stand" or "floor computer stand".

How violent is the vibration? You could try adapting some speak vibration reducing foam on a stand -

image.png.95f62489d15a8aa8277c470f181a7938.png

Or a framework that the PC sits in with numerous large rubber bands that that the pc sits in like a antivibe hammock - I used to do this to my actually 3.5" HDDs when I had them to stop vibration all together. Problem being is, the bands perish eventually, dry out and snap so you'd probably have to replace some every so often, also for an entire pc, they're gonna have to be freaking strong.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

11 minutes ago, cacoe said:

How violent is the vibration? You could try adapting some speak vibration reducing foam on a stand -

image.png.95f62489d15a8aa8277c470f181a7938.png

Or a framework that the PC sits in with numerous large rubber bands that that the pc sits in like a antivibe hammock - I used to do this to my actually 3.5" HDDs when I had them to stop vibration all together. Problem being is, the bands perish eventually, dry out and snap so you'd probably have to replace some every so often, also for an entire pc, they're gonna have to be freaking strong.

I found on Amazon some Anti Vibration Pads for washing machines. The vibration is quite weak but continuous. Maybe it is a bit overkill or doesn't work with these frequencies.

31 minutes ago, Carbonado said:

yup exactly, ssds have gotten very cheap now, to the point where you could find a good ssd withing the budget of a hdd too

Until 8+tb SSDs go cheaper, this is not an option 😔

44 minutes ago, Carbonado said:

I don't think that's really true though. 4TB mechanicals can be had for around $100. 4TB SSDs go for around $400. Basically... SSDs still cost about 400% more than traditional drives once you're around 2TB or more.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

9 minutes ago, sborquez said:

Until 8+tb SSDs go cheaper, this is not an option 😔

I mean if just the HDDs are the concern. Go the internal rubber band route, works pretty great 

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT