Is there better and worse microfiber cloths??

The Torrent

So I've got loads of ones they give with glasses. Some are thin some are thick but most work great for a while and then start just smudging or working not as well.

Is there like specifically better higher quality ones? Can you get different qualities of microfiber cloth? I don't mind buying an expensive cloth for wiping my glasses and phone and keeping it in my pocket rather than keeping like the 50 cloths I've got lying around at the moment because they seemingly randomly stop working and some smudge my phone and my t shirt does better than a microfiber cloth a lot of the time.

Is there actually any brands that make better quality microfiber cloths? Or am I just trying to waste money on a piece of fabric and there's no difference? (In which case I should just bulk buy a load of cheap glasses ones from somewhere). Thanks.

11 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

So I've got loads of ones they give with glasses. Some are thin some are thick but most work great for a while and then start just smudging or working not as well.

Have you ever washed them? They're still cloths. If they become dirty, they will not longer clean.

Every once in a while you should wash them - most of them can go into a washing machine load without much trouble.

11 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

Is there like specifically better higher quality ones? Can you get different qualities of microfiber cloth? I don't mind buying an expensive cloth for wiping my glasses and phone and keeping it in my pocket rather than keeping like the 50 cloths I've got lying around at the moment because they seemingly randomly stop working and some smudge my phone and my t shirt does better than a microfiber cloth a lot of the time.

Is there actually any brands that make better quality microfiber cloths? Or am I just trying to waste money on a piece of fabric and there's no difference? (In which case I should just bulk buy a load of cheap glasses ones from somewhere). Thanks.

I haven't done the research, but I would assume that yes, there are better and lower quality cloths to choose from. You can get some really nice microfiber cloths if you shop in the hardware or automotive section of a Hardware Store or Department Store.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

33 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

Is there like specifically better higher quality ones? Can you get different qualities of microfiber cloth?

Yes. It depends in the fiber width, material, density and manufacturing method. 

33 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

I've got lying around at the moment because they seemingly randomly stop working and some smudge my phone

Grease from your face and hands. Just wash it up with soap.

Spoiler

Grease reminded me of this song

I got some with Lenspen Microklear name on them about 8x10 in. Washed many times they hold up and work great.  don't know if they are still out there,  thinking i got them from B&H Photo.

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Have you ever washed them? They're still cloths. If they become dirty, they will not longer clean.

Every once in a while you should wash them - most of them can go into a washing machine load without much trouble.

I haven't done the research, but I would assume that yes, there are better and lower quality cloths to choose from. You can get some really nice microfiber cloths if you shop in the hardware or automotive section of a Hardware Store or Department Store.

Automotive or hardware? What exactly am I looking for? I saw car ones but I assume those are too big to be used for glasses and are likely for bigger dirt particles.

2 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Yes. It depends in the fiber width, material, density and manufacturing method. 

Grease from your face and hands. Just wash it up with soap.

Reveal hidden contents

Grease reminded me of this song

I've washed them yea. What like material, density, manufacturing method is best you think? Is there anything I should be looking for.

2 hours ago, Dr. Forbin said:

I got some with Lenspen Microklear name on them about 8x10 in. Washed many times they hold up and work great.  don't know if they are still out there,  thinking i got them from B&H Photo.

Thanks I found these for a tenner each and reviews seem decent I might just buy one.

1 minute ago, The Torrent said:

What like material, density, manufacturing method is best you think? Is there anything I should be looking for.

Nylon and polyester are what you will probably find. Nylon is better for chemical resistance and physical properties (aka more endurance).

Manufacturer usually don't list density for microfiber, but you can feel and see how tighly packed the fibers are.

Silk smooth, almost glossy, as in lens cleaning cloths > smooth as in TV cleaning cloths > microfiber cloths for house/car cleaning, such as the 3M ones.

22 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Nylon and polyester are what you will probably find. Nylon is better for chemical resistance and physical properties (aka more endurance).

Manufacturer usually don't list density for microfiber, but you can feel and see how tighly packed the fibers are.

Silk smooth, almost glossy, as in lens cleaning cloths > smooth as in TV cleaning cloths > microfiber cloths for house/car cleaning, such as the 3M ones.

My googling has brought me to come across 'E-CLOTH's and i cant tell if its bs or if they are actually engineered to be better or something.

Seems they also use 20 percent 'polyamide'.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cloth-Polishing-Microfiber-Cleaning-Assorted/dp/B07G8ZTKSD/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=microfiber%2Bcloth&qid=1629500339&sr=8-3&th=1

Have you heard of them? What do you think of them?

I've also come across seemingly random ones such as these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenspen-MicroKlear-Cleaning-Cloth-Camera/dp/B003U9VD90/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Lenspen+Microklear&qid=1629500527&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MightyMicroCloth-Microfiber-Eyeglass-Cleaning-Cloths/dp/B0848N79CZ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=MightyMicroCloth&qid=1629501325&s=drugstore&sr=1-1&th=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00YWA8EF2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

I can't tell the difference im tempted to just buy a few of them and try them out but the price is adding up....... Which of these seem like bs if you can tell do you think?

2 hours ago, The Torrent said:

Seems they also use 20 percent 'polyamide'.

Nylon = polyamide (nylon is the DuPont brand)

I can't know for sure based on their pages. My guess based on the images is that the last two are finer (for cleaning lenses), and the first two are more for general cleaning (TV, glassware, windows, mirrors, crystals, polished wood surfaces, etc). All of them should work just fine.