Computer keeps turning off and on again on it's own.

user485

Hello,

My computer has been turning off and on again on it's own whenever I press the power button. When I press it, the computer comes on, but then it shuts off and comes back on again. All of this is before I even get to the login screen. Here's a video

Yesterday I made a thread about this same issue, and had someone telling me my issue might be a PSU problem.

However, I've since then installed a new power supply and the problem still remains, even after plugging the computer into a different outlet. I've also had people telling me it might be a RAM issue, so I tried using an extra stick of RAM I had lying around instead of my current stuff, but it still keeps happening. I even replaced the CMOS battery to no avail. I've also disabled all overclocks on my system, and I haven't been having any issues with temps.

At this point, I've narrowed the problem down to either my motherboard or my GPU, but if anyone's had issues like this before or has some expertise on this kind of thing, I'd love to hear it.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700X

- cpu cooler: wraith prism

GPU: Zotac RTX 2060

Mobo: Asus B350 Plus

RAM: 16gb PNY 2666mhz (2 8gb sticks)

PSU: Corsair cx750

Storage: WD Black sn750 (boot)

- Two WD 7.5k RPM HDD's (storage)

Case: deepcool matrex 55

pull the ram and gpu out entirely and see if it still does it

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

pull the ram and gpu out entirely and see if it still does it

ram? why? i've already used two different brands...

1 minute ago, user485 said:

ram? why? i've already used two different brands...

I think maybe we should probably ask if you're going to attempt any diagnostics first I suppose before listing any.

Were you interested in trying to do any diagnostics to determine the issue?

Sounds like a short.

Take the thing completely apart, run the computer with nothing but the psu, cpu, cooler, 1 stick of ram on a cardboard box. use a screw driver to short the power pins. See if it turns on or not.

Proud owner of a custom water cooled Ryzen 1400. 5800x  

1 minute ago, Npiet1 said:

run the computer with nothing but the psu, cpu, cooler, 1 stick of ram on a cardboard box

power diagnostics don;t require ram

1 minute ago, emosun said:

power diagnostics don;t require ram

true.

I would make sure you're not using "legacy mode" in your boot perimeters and disable sata slots 5&6 in the bios. 

Let us know what you find.

assuming you did the power diagnostics with no issues, might be a heating issue the cup thermal paste is dried out and it heats up quick.

20 minutes ago, emosun said:

I think maybe we should probably ask if you're going to attempt any diagnostics first I suppose before listing any.

Were you interested in trying to do any diagnostics to determine the issue?

Using no RAM eliminates the issue. I guess what I was trying to ask was why RAM would be the cause of the issue.

5 minutes ago, Edmond Dantes said:

assuming you did the power diagnostics with no issues, might be a heating issue the cup thermal paste is dried out and it 

8 minutes ago, MadGoatHaz said:

I would make sure you're not using "legacy mode" in your boot perimeters and disable sata slots 5&6 in the bios. 

It lets me choose between Legacy or "UEFI first", there's no option to turn legacy completely off

20210818_190151.jpg

Just now, user485 said:

Using no RAM eliminates the issue. I guess what I was trying to ask was why RAM would be the cause of the issue.

It just happens sometimes, could of been a power spike or just died. So now try 1 stick at a time (both dying is every unlikely, if problem still happens try different slots.) If none of it works, you'll need new ram but it could very well be the mobo killing the ram so grab the cheapest stick you can find.

15 minutes ago, MadGoatHaz said:

Ok. Figured out how to disable UEFI, but nothing has changed. I also did what the other guy said and tried using different ram in different slots in different configurations, but that didn't work either.

14 minutes ago, Npiet1 said:

It just happens sometimes, could of been a power spike or just died. So now try 1 stick at a time (both dying is every unlikely, if problem still happens try different slots.) If none of it works, you'll need new ram but it could very well be the mobo killing the ram so grab the cheapest stick you can find.

None of it worked. I tried first with my regular RAM (PNY) but that didn't work, so then I tried using a cheapo 4gb stick and that didn't work either.

Slots are dead. Need a new mobo. It's most likely something tiny like a capacitor has died or a step down. As soon as you need any real amount of ram it switches off.

2 minutes ago, Npiet1 said:

Slots are dead. Need a new mobo. It's most likely something tiny like a capacitor has died or a step down. As soon as you need any real amount of ram it switches off.

I wish I had known this before I went and bought the new PSU 😫 better start saving

Thanks for your help tho!

1 hour ago, Npiet1 said:

Umm, what!? 

I'm I misunderstanding that the system won't boot to the OS at all? 

I feel like there are many steps being skipped here. 

1. Reset defaults in bios

2. Confirm temps and voltages in bios

3. Try to boot from another device (USB drive for instance)

32 minutes ago, MadGoatHaz said:

Umm, what!? 

I'm I misunderstanding that the system won't boot to the OS at all? 

I feel like there are many steps being skipped here. 

1. Reset defaults in bios

2. Confirm temps and voltages in bios

3. Try to boot from another device (USB drive for instance)

He reset the BIOS already, if the voltages were wrong it would of fixed with the BIOS. Os crash they don't short the computer.