Java binary search help

Go to solution Solved by auraofjason,

A double is a floating point number (like 1.1234) while an int is just a whole number (like 1).

You can keep mid and SIZE as doubles, but when you iterate with them you can cast them into ints like: (int)mid. So for example in this line instead of: if (a[mid]>x), you can do: if (a[(int)mid]>x).

Ok so I'm in a beginner java class and need help with the errors im getting in this program any help would be great.

CODE:

public class BinSearch{public static final int NOT_FOUND = -1;public static double binarySearch(double[] a, double x){double low=0;double high= a.length-1;double mid;while (low<=high){mid = (low+high)/2;if (a[mid]>x)low = mid+1;if (a[mid]<x)high = mid-1;elsereturn mid;}return NOT_FOUND;} public static void main(String[] args){double SIZE =43.5;double[] a = new double[SIZE];for (double i=0; i<SIZE;i++)a[i] = new Double(i * 2);for (double i=0; i<Size*2; i++)System.out.println("Found"+i+ "at"+binarySearch(a, new Double(i)));}}

The errors consist with a few Loss of precision and one cannot find symbol

Once again thanks for the help.

Edited by alpenwasser
added code tags

Processor-Intel - Core i9-7900X 3.3GHz , Motherboard- Gigabyte - X299 AORUS Gaming 7, RAM- G.Skill - TridentZ RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-4000 Memory, GPU-Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AMP Extreme,  Case- Phanteks - Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass, Storage- Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280, Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, Toshiba 4TB (PH3400U) , PSU- SeaSonic 1200W Platinum, Cooling- NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2, Sound-Sennheiser - HD 598SE, SURE - SM7B, OS- Windows 10 Pro.

Loss of precision: You can't iterate through a double[] with a double, it must be an int. You can cast a double into an int by doing: (int)double, or (int)mid for your mid double.

Cannot find symbol: You set the variable name to be SIZE, but you used Size in your for loop. SIZE and Size are different.

i9-11900K @ 5.1ghz;   RTX 3090 FE @ 2ghz;   ROG Maximus XII Hero;   4266mhz G.Skill 16GB DDR4;

Ok so i fixed the SIZE issue, thanks, but I'm still confused by the double.  

I turned the double mid to int mid and I am still getting errors of loss of precision. specifically at  mid = (low+high)/2, and int SIZE =43.5;.

Processor-Intel - Core i9-7900X 3.3GHz , Motherboard- Gigabyte - X299 AORUS Gaming 7, RAM- G.Skill - TridentZ RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-4000 Memory, GPU-Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AMP Extreme,  Case- Phanteks - Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass, Storage- Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280, Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, Toshiba 4TB (PH3400U) , PSU- SeaSonic 1200W Platinum, Cooling- NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2, Sound-Sennheiser - HD 598SE, SURE - SM7B, OS- Windows 10 Pro.

Ok so i fixed the SIZE issue, thanks, but I'm still confused by the double.  

I turned the double mid to int mid and I am still getting errors of loss of precision. specifically at  mid = (low+high)/2, and int SIZE =43.5;.

int SIZE =43.5 makes no sense because an int can't have decimals. Just drop the .5

The loss of precision is because low and high are still doubles which makes (low+high)/2 a double and you lose precision by going to an int. Either change low and high to ints or cast the result of (low+high)/2 to an int.

A double is a floating point number (like 1.1234) while an int is just a whole number (like 1).

You can keep mid and SIZE as doubles, but when you iterate with them you can cast them into ints like: (int)mid. So for example in this line instead of: if (a[mid]>x), you can do: if (a[(int)mid]>x).

i9-11900K @ 5.1ghz;   RTX 3090 FE @ 2ghz;   ROG Maximus XII Hero;   4266mhz G.Skill 16GB DDR4;

low, mid and high are all integers, because they're indexes

you're also creating an array of the primitive type 'double', but you fill it with Double objects, i guess it just dacays to primitive type but it's still not necessary

edit

SIZE has to be integer too, because it's a size

Ok so I'm in a beginner java class and need help with the errors im getting in this program any help would be great.

CODE:

public class BinSearch
{
public static final int NOT_FOUND = -1;
public static double binarySearch(double[] a, double x)
{
double low=0;
double high= a.length-1;
double mid;
while (low<=high)
{
mid = (low+high)/2;
if (a[mid]>x)
low = mid+1;
if (a[mid]<x)
high = mid-1;
else
return mid;
}
return NOT_FOUND;
}

public static void main(String[] args)
{
double SIZE =43.5;
double[] a = new double;
for (double i=0; i<SIZE;i++)
a = new Double(i * 2);
for (double i=0; i<Size*2; i++)
System.out.println("Found"+i+ "at"+binarySearch(a, new Double(i)));
}
}

The errors consist with a few Loss of precision and one cannot find symbol

Once again thanks for the help.

Use the code tags ffs.

Thanks for the help guys you explained a lot, I contacted my instructor this morning and he help me figure everything out. once again thanks