M.2 screw too short?

2045851355_Photoon2021-08-16at2_24PM.thumb.jpg.093a055dd63fa339cfa168633427dcec.jpg
As you can see here, the screw portion of this is incredibly short, shorter than the width of the m.2 SSD itself. Would it be okay to let the SSD simply flop around? It will be under my GPU, and although it is a gen 4 rocket, it will be running at gen 3 speeds for the time being. 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

1 minute ago, Nickathom said:

As you can see here, the screw portion of this is incredibly short

That's the post of the M.2 retention mechanism, the opposite end of that piece you are holding has a hole in it. A screw would go into that hole, holding the SSD down. This piece that you are holding goes directly into the motherboard.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

2045851355_Photoon2021-08-16at2_24PM.thumb.jpg.093a055dd63fa339cfa168633427dcec.jpg
As you can see here, the screw portion of this is incredibly short, shorter than the width of the m.2 SSD itself. Would it be okay to let the SSD simply flop around? It will be under my GPU, and although it is a gen 4 rocket, it will be running at gen 3 speeds for the time being. 

I am not 100% sure, but that looks like a standoff to me

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

That's the post of the M.2 retention mechanism, the opposite end of that piece you are holding has a hole in it. A screw would go into that hole, holding the SSD down. This piece that you are holding goes directly into the motherboard.

There is already a screw socket in there... are you saying that this piece can be unscrewed? 

Photo on 2021-08-16 at 2.30 PM.jpg

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Just now, Nickathom said:

There is already a screw socket in there... are you saying that this piece can be unscrewed? 

You should be able to unscrew it. You don't want your SSD to go all the way down to the motherboard, it should be parallel to the motherboard.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

Photo on 2021-08-16 at 2.30 PM.jpg

What you're holding is a standoff. You screw the standoff into the correct position on the board (depends on the length of your M.2 drive), then secure the M.2 drive inbetween the standoff and the screw that goes into the standoff. 

cU6Zd.jpg?fit=1600,757&ssl=1

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

What you're holding is a standoff. You screw the standoff into the correct position on the board (depends on the length of your M.2 drive, then secure the M.2 drive inbetween the standoff and the screw that goes into the standoff. 

cU6Zd.jpg?fit=1600,757&ssl=1

how much force should I use? it doesnt feel like its going to fit... the standoff is also thicker than the semi-circle hole at the end of the NVME....

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

5 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

how much force should I use? it doesnt feel like its going to fit... the standoff is also thicker than the semi-circle hole at the end of the NVME....

Shouldn't take any force, assuming it's the correct standoff, it should just screw into the board. The M.2 drive should just rest on top of the standoff, then the screw into the standoff holds it in place.

5 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

The head of the screw only half sits on the m.2, its a kind of crappy mounting system in my opinion. As for force, until its tight, the standoff isn't long enough to overtighten the screw 

10 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Shouldn't take any force, assuming it's the correct standoff, it should just screw into the board. The M.2 drive should just rest on top of the standoff, then the screw into the standoff holds it in place.

ah, i understand. If the screw is supposed to be separate, i am not sure how I am supposed to get it out. It is screwed in there very tightly. 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200