Ryzen 5 3600 super high temps. 50C when idle and up to 80 when gaming

Hi everyone,

So I built my first Ryzen PC the other day and im very concerned about how hot the CPU is getting. Its a Ryzen 5 3600 cooled by a Corsair H100X AiO.

My room temp is around 24C and at idle the 3600 is at 40-50C which seems very hot. Cinebench gets the Ryzen 5 3600 up to 80-83C but not beyond that. When Gaming im anywhere from 60-75C

Im coming from an old 32nm Xeon CPU which never ever exceeeded 60C under load so i would've thought a Ryzen would be cooler.

I think the mounting pressure is high enough and I also tried reapplying the thermal paste which didn't change anything.

My fan setup isn't terrible either. I have 3 intakes, 4 exhausts + the AiO which is also exhaust. I replaced the stock AiO fans with Arctic P12s btw.

What am I doing wrong? I really wanna like this Computer but the temps are concerning to me. Is this really the way its supposed to be?

Thanks in advance,

Luis

Those temps don't seem all too out of place and are passable for a 5 3600. 

Aside from that, what Power Plan are you using in Windows ? I would recommend the AMD Ryzen Balanced Plan like this:

5 3600 H100X power plan.jpg

AMD and Intel temps are not directly comparable. The layouts of the chips are completely different and the sensors aren't located in the same places. What matters is whether your temps are in line with other 3600 owners. From what I've seen about Ryzen, 40-50C idle temps are perfectly normal.

2 minutes ago, Chem1calWaste said:

Those temps don't seem all too out of place and are passable for a 5 3600. 

Aside from that, what Power Plan are you using in Windows ? I would recommend the AMD Ryzen Balanced Plan like this:

5 3600 H100X power plan.jpg

First of all, thanks a lot for your reply.

Its very hard for me to believe that those are normal temps, but im glad if they actually are because that means i dont need to buy a new AiO or smth.

I don't have the option to select an AMD Ryzen Balanced Plan like you have. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do i need to install an App for that? Its my first ever AMD CPU.

Temps are fine. But you may be able to improve by reaseating the cooler. Make sure that backplate is all the way down. Make sure you use enough thermal paste, you need a big dot just under the Z on the Ryzen name on the CPU. Size ~ area of a chick pea. Screw down tight. GG 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

3 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

AMD and Intel temps are not directly comparable. The layouts of the chips are completely different and the sensors aren't located in the same places. What matters is whether your temps are in line with other 3600 owners. From what I've seen about Ryzen, 40-50C idle temps are perfectly normal.

Thanks for replying!

Im just not at all used to the thermal behaviour of Ryzen. Everytime I open an app it jumps to like 65C and then immediately goes down again. I think I might just need to get used to that

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Temps are fine. But you may be able to improve by reaseating the cooler. Make sure that backplate is all the way down. Make sure you use enough thermal paste, you need a big dot just under the Z on the Ryzen name on the CPU. Size ~ area of a chick pea. Screw down tight. GG 

Ok I'll try to do that. Is MX4 a good enough thermal paste? That's the only one I have laying around.

2 minutes ago, whyisluistaken said:

Ok I'll try to do that. Is MX4 a good enough thermal paste? That's the only one I have laying around.

Yes MX-4 is good enough, unless it's expired 🙂

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Just now, DoctorNick said:

Yes MX-4 is good enough, unless it's expired 🙂

It might have actually haha. Im gonna check. But you mentioned the backplate; i dont think there is one. I just mounted the CPU block to the already excisting AM4 brackets. Was that what you meant?

Yeah, MX4 is good enough.  The brackets are fine.  Some coolers come with a backplate and you have to remove the brackets and screw the cooler to the backplate.

Make sure the pump is actually working and moving water around the system... is the radiator getting warm, do you hear the pump or feel it vibrate?

The temperatures are normal. Keep in mind that your motherboard probably has a fan profile in BIOS and will adjust the fan speed so that your fan will not spin faster than needed. It will adjust fan speed to keep the cpu temperature below 75-80c (varies from motherboard to motherboard).

If you connected the radiator fans to the CPU_FAN header, then the motherboard may reduce the fan speeds.

A lot of motherboards have a "Silent" profile, a "Balanced" profile and a "Turbo" or "Aggressive" fan profile or a custom option where you can define the fan curve.

The CPU won't work better if it's colder than 50-60 degrees so it's perfectly fine for it to stay around that temperature. You could force the fan to always spin faster and make more noise and keep the cpu pointlessly cooler.

You can get the balanced power plan by installing the latest AMD chipset drivers for your motherboard.

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yeah, MX4 is good enough.  The brackets are fine.  Some coolers come with a backplate and you have to remove the brackets and screw the cooler to the backplate.

Make sure the pump is actually working and moving water around the system... is the radiator getting warm, do you hear the pump or feel it vibrate?

The temperatures are normal. Keep in mind that your motherboard probably has a fan profile in BIOS and will adjust the fan speed so that your fan will not spin faster than needed. It will adjust fan speed to keep the cpu temperature below 75-80c (varies from motherboard to motherboard).

If you connected the radiator fans to the CPU_FAN header, then the motherboard may reduce the fan speeds.

A lot of motherboards have a "Silent" profile, a "Balanced" profile and a "Turbo" or "Aggressive" fan profile or a custom option where you can define the fan curve.

The CPU won't work better if it's colder than 50-60 degrees so it's perfectly fine for it to stay around that temperature. You could force the fan to always spin faster and make more noise and keep the cpu pointlessly cooler.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. I dont think there was another backplate included. I will check again though. The radiator is getting hot and I can also hear the pump working. I have a Gigabyte Aorus B550m Pro-P and i set a costum fan curve. Though the radiator fan speed doesnt seem to impact CPU temps at all. Maybe by 1-2C. Its weird

Surprised no one asked you about your case by this point. What case do you have?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 minute ago, Chris Pratt said:

Surprised no one asked you about your case by this point. What case do you have?

I have the Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini

22 minutes ago, whyisluistaken said:

Thanks for replying!

Im just not at all used to the thermal behaviour of Ryzen. Everytime I open an app it jumps to like 65C and then immediately goes down again. I think I might just need to get used to that

Yup, I recently made the switch after decades on Intel. It has taken some getting used to.

On 8/15/2021 at 1:11 PM, Mark Kaine said:

room temp: 25.8C

20210815_130709.thumb.jpg.8137ad0117e406e0645f1b61a98ed738.jpg

But yes, this is normal , especially boosting under light loads it will spike quickly.

As long youre under  85C it wont throttle… so yeah.

All modern cpus run kinda hot, intel notoriously known for it too.

6 hours ago, mariushm said:

The CPU won't work better if it's colder than 50-60 degrees

Liquid Nitrogen has entered the chat. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder