I need help getting better Wi-Fi speeds wirelessly.

Admansrs
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
7 minutes ago, Admansrs said:

Is there any particular card you'd recommend? Are they pricey or is the investment worth it?

Something like this one? 

https://www.amazon.com/EDUP-3000Mbps-802-11AX-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B08GPM825D/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=intel+ax200&qid=1629069944&sr=8-18

They all work the same cause they have the same chipset, Id just get one with a cabled antenna.

I've just made the change from console to PC and I've finally got my PC together but my Wi-Fi is extremely slow for some reason. I'm using a TP-Link Wi-Fi adapter (Model Number: TL-WN823N) and the speeds are awful. On my Xbox, I was getting around what my router should actually provide whereas on my PC I'm getting Around 1 to 2 Mbps. Would anyone be able to help guide in where my errors lie and how I can fix them. 

Many thanks in advance.

are you far? 

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

Just now, adarw said:

are you far? 

I'm upstairs whereas my router is downstairs. The room my PC will be in is above the room where the router is but at the moment my room is above and opposite where the router is. I apologise if that makes no sense, haha

Just now, Admansrs said:

I'm upstairs whereas my router is downstairs. The room my PC will be in is above the room where the router is but at the moment my room is above and opposite where the router is. I apologise if that makes no sense, haha

try doing this 

-----------------

#

What router/access point do you have?

That usb adapter is likely your issue, its a pretty slow model. Id get a pcie wifi card with the intel ax210 chipset.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

That usb adapter is likely your issue, its a pretty slow model. Id get a pcie wifi card with the intel ax210 chipset.

oh true. 

-----------------

#

Just now, adarw said:

try doing this 

My next question is unrelated but my PC display blacks out for a blink of an eye and then refreshes when the video or application has loaded. Would you be able to help me figure that out?

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Ah I see, where would I fit said card and how do they work?

Just now, Admansrs said:

Ah I see, where would I fit said card and how do they work?

What model router do you have?

What PC do you have? There is normally open pcie slots on your pc.

What model router do you have?

What PC do you have? There is normally open pcie slots on your pc.

I'm not sure what the router model is. It was provided by my broadband company. And I'm using an X470 Gaming Plus Max if that helps at all

13 minutes ago, Admansrs said:

TL-WN823N

Thats because USB adapters tend to be horrible. Also its a Single band Wireless N device. Wireless N is like 2 generations old at this point. Plus 2.4 Ghz is clogged in many area. 5 Ghz is where the performance is. You dont want anything below wireless AC. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Thats because USB adapters tend to be horrible. Also its a Single band Wireless N device. Wireless N is like 2 generations old at this point. Plus 2.4 Ghz is clogged in many area. 5 Ghz is where the performance is. You dont want anything below wireless AC. 

Oh, I see. Do you have any Wi-Fi card suggestions?

6 minutes ago, Admansrs said:

Oh, I see. Do you have any Wi-Fi card suggestions?

Get a card with a intel ax210 chipset and antennas with a cable. Thats the best current wifi card, and the cables allow you to put the antenna in better locations as your pc can block wifi signals. Your board has a extra slot for the card.

Get a card with a intel ax210 chipset and antennas with a cable. Thats the best current wifi card, and the cables allow you to put the antenna in better locations as your pc can block wifi signals. Your board has a extra slot for the card.

Is there any particular card you'd recommend? Are they pricey or is the investment worth it?

7 minutes ago, Admansrs said:

Something like this one? 

https://www.amazon.com/EDUP-3000Mbps-802-11AX-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B08GPM825D/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=intel+ax200&qid=1629069944&sr=8-18

They all work the same cause they have the same chipset, Id just get one with a cabled antenna.

Something like this one? 

Would this be good for online gaming? Nothing serious and competitive, just so I can play casually with friends and family.

Something like this one? 

Also, my friend said that when he tried to use a WiFi card, it stopped all his audio ports from working? Is that common or something? Another thing, do I have to worry about compatibility issues when using this?

4 minutes ago, Admansrs said:

Would this be good for online gaming? Nothing serious and competitive, just so I can play casually with friends and family.

Well that wifi card is about as good as you can get now. But if you can go wired it will be better.

3 minutes ago, Admansrs said:

Also, my friend said that when he tried to use a WiFi card, it stopped all his audio ports from working? Is that common or something? Another thing, do I have to worry about compatibility issues when using this?

Very uncommon, audio shoudl work fine. 

Just put it into a empty pcie x1 slot on yoru board.

Well that wifi card is about as good as you can get now. But if you can go wired it will be better.

Very uncommon, audio shoudl work fine. 

Just put it into a empty pcie x1 slot on yoru board.

I wish I could go wired but unfortunately the router isn't able to be moved upstairs I don't think so I might just have to give this wifi card a go. Thanks for all your help.