LG 27GL83A-B Can it actually do 1440p @144hz?

Hello,

I’m likely going to purchase a lightly used LG 27gl83a-b this evening and have seen some people saying that you cannot have 1440p and 144hz simultaneously with this monitor. Some say it’s a hdmi limitation and using display port will fix it. Others say that it could be the monitor throttling, not the ports. Would anyone be able to clarify this for me? Thanks! 

35 minutes ago, AmishMayhem said:

Some say it’s a hdmi limitation and using display port will fix it

This. HDMI is bandwidth limited I have bigger brother GL850 and it does 144Hz fine on displayport.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

I have this monitor and I can assure you it does 144hz 1440p using DisplayPort. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

6 hours ago, Glenwing said:

At 1440p the 27GL83A is limited to 100 Hz over HDMI when FreeSync is enabled. It can reach 144 Hz over HDMI if FreeSync is disabled, or 144 Hz with FreeSync if DisplayPort is used.

That is extremely helpful information, thank you!