I tried an INCOMPATIBLE drive with the PS5

ivycomb

Sony recently launched their first Beta system update for the PS5, which added high speed M.2 SSD storage expansion support. Some journalists have been quick to criticize this as being too difficult... but does Microsoft's Xbox really have the better solution here, or was Sony right all along?

i do the writing of things hello | they/them

"So, at the end of the day, at least today, it looks like so long as you go for a PC, you should be OK"

There fixed that for you 😛

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Just now, SolarNova said:

There fixed that for you

But GT7 K3llySob.png.b0b85907e96c30d844a52720879f0955.png

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

I'm just waiting for all the problems to start with them using LM for it's TIM - It's coming, I can promise that.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

*tries 8TB PCIe 3.0 drive*
*doesn't try normal size 3.0 drive*

So how do we know it fails on 3.0 and not >4TB?

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB /

TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

Let's be honest here ... they don't let you store data, videos and the other crap because DRM.

They don't want you to save a game and then copy the game over to your computer, hack it to cause the game to crash and exploit the operating system.

They don't want you to save videos because you may record TV or the game may not allow streaming or not have license to broadcast songs or other weird shit like that.

The ssd is soldered so if it dies you need to replace the motherboard

This is bullshit and Linus should know better than to tell people to do this, any skilled repair shop can de-solder an SSD die and replace it with a fresh one. SSD dies  might be soldered but the number pins is not that high so the complexity of the BGA soldering needed to do this is not impossible at all.  If you care about Right to repair then you should not be telling people with 100% reparable it's to throw things away. 

When Linus was testing the working/supported Gen 4 drive, he put in a Seagate Firecuda SSD but magically took out a Sabrent Rocket SSD. I'm thinking the Seagate SSD must not have worked.

Hidden take-away from this video, don't buy that Seagate Firecuda SSD if you're planning to upgrade your PS5.

EDIT: My concerns were unwarranted. See reply.

5 minutes ago, EvilTelephone said:

When Linus was testing the working/supported Gen 4 drive, he put in a Seagate Firecuda SSD but magically took out a Sabrent Rocket SSD. I'm thinking the Seagate SSD must not have worked.

Hidden take-away from this video, don't buy that Seagate Firecuda SSD if you're planning to upgrade your PS5.

The FireCuda drive is excellent, but it just so happened to be the drive we used for demonstrating the setup process in the video. The Sabrent was in the PS5 during gameplay because it already had games installed on it prior to shooting. 

i do the writing of things hello | they/them

22 minutes ago, JBee said:

The FireCuda drive is excellent, but it just so happened to be the drive we used for demonstrating the setup process in the video. The Sabrent was in the PS5 during gameplay because it already had games installed on it prior to shooting. 

This is good to know, thank you for the correction! I'll edit my original post.

4 hours ago, mariushm said:

Let's be honest here ... they don't let you store data, videos and the other crap because DRM.

DRM?!,Oh please,you can share the videos on the console anyway,

They don't want you to save a game and then copy the game over to your computer, hack it to cause the game to crash and exploit the operating system.

If i want to do that,whatever happens is on me to deal with.

As far as i know exploiting the system through save files is very unlikely.

They don't want you to save videos because you may record TV or the game may not allow streaming or not have license to broadcast songs or other weird shit like that.

????

Doesn't make any sense.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

59 minutes ago, Vishera said:

????

Doesn't make any sense.

Because it doesnt. PS4 already automatically shuts you off from capturing a lot of game scenes, and capturing on streaming apps. If @mariushmis so "oh im spooked by piracy", then arguably we should also ban capture cards from running on console.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Sad SSDs being mishandled by bearded daddy linus.

If he breakes the 8TB SSD, can I get it? just asking for a friend... oh.

I think resolution means... Frame rate...

What? Did he arrive to work drunk or something for this video? Or was that actually in the script? Because if so, so many questions...

Also Linus when the game says prioritize image quality vs resolution it means do you want 4K and potato graphics or do you want 720p with A+++ graphics.

1 hour ago, Egg-Roll said:

Also Linus when the game says prioritize image quality vs resolution it means do you want 4K and potato graphics or do you want 720p with A+++ graphics.

That is just an idiotic way to put things, maybe not quite if the settings are "tailored" to 4K and optimal graphics for this device to run at. But in what in the name of god, can't that be changed? you think you would want at times both or play at the graphics that seems reasonable in that game and not some tailored experience that might not be the "best" settings?

Also if one have different resolution screens and HZ, and why it doesn't just give a range of visuals settings and make resolution your own choice.

Very weird decision not to benchmark Ratchet and Clank. Seems like this video was a little thrown together. Like, even without R&C, where are the Load Time benchmarks?

21 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

That is just an idiotic way to put things, maybe not quite if the settings are "tailored" to 4K and optimal graphics for this device to run at. But in what in the name of god, can't that be changed? you think you would want at times both or play at the graphics that seems reasonable in that game and not some tailored experience that might not be the "best" settings?

Also if one have different resolution screens and HZ, and why it doesn't just give a range of visuals settings and make resolution your own choice.

That's not the issue at hand right now, Linus wasn't exactly complaining about that now is he? He has in the past complained about horrid settings menus, but he's not complaining about the settings options, in this video it genuinely feels like he has no clue as to what he's talking about or what the game is trying to tell him. What he was complaining about in this video is the literal wording the game is using to explain which setting to choose as though there is only one option, the options menu goes from prioritize resolution and prioritize image quality as displayed in the video, which is what the game was trying to say, however Linus seems to have been confused with the wording hence my post.

Also don't like half assed options? Don't buy consoles(and don't support game devs on PCs who do it too), almost every console game I've owned that I've also owned on PC has always had some sort of lack of graphics control, and that's because of 3 main reasons cooling is shit and/or it's running on outdated hardware and/or they have to redo various parts of the game code to make it run better on the console therefore giving full control over settings could destroy gameplay.