SSD QUESTION

Upside Duck

Does the "written" on a ssd also resets when you factory reset your ssd? or your ssd is done when it reached its maximum write? im a newbie on pc stuff, bare with me if this question is non sense lol

The amount of data written to the SSD is saved in the SMART data, independent of your Windows installation. Resetting/reinstalling  Windows won't change that number.

The TBW is what the manufacturer generally thinks your SSD should last for.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

11 minutes ago, Upside Duck said:

Does the "written" on a ssd also resets when you factory reset your ssd? or your ssd is done when it reached its maximum write?

SSD write cycles are finite, regardless of whether you tell the SSD to initiate its' built-in secure erase function. In fact, erasing the NAND cells on an SSD technically further reduces its' lifespan because (for simplicity's sake) you're writing over the cells with "blank" data.

That being said, most consumers will never fully wear out an SSD's write lifespan unless they're doing very heavy file workloads. I have a Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SATA SSD from 8 or so years ago that's had close to 100TB written before it was put into retirement, but it still performed exactly like it did on day one. 

image.png

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 8/10/2021 at 5:04 PM, Upside Duck said:

Does the "written" on a ssd also resets when you factory reset your ssd? or your ssd is done when it reached its maximum write? im a newbie on pc stuff, bare with me if this question is non sense lol

"Written" doesn't mean much probably - usually you see a rating for host writes which, quite honestly, is meaningless. You're more likely to want a NAND writes value (on some drives) or average erase count for blocks (also on some drives). Even then, these values can be deceptive, as you have both static and dynamic SLC caches which throw off these numbers. For example, static SLC has an entirely separate wear and erase count.

In any case, typically the health value is set to the TBW (total bytes written) which also has no meaning for actual endurance. Most drives will survive several times, if not an order-of-magnitude more, that amount of writes. It's only for the warranty - amount of writes or warranty period.

It is certainly possible to reset SMART values but this can be detected by OEMs/manufacturers as there's typically a separate counter that only increments. Although I think that's beyond the course of this discussion and is not something I delve into for obvious reasons.