Is now the right time to build a high end PC? (Assuming I can get the parts)

Is now a good time to build a high end SFF PC assuming I can get the parts required? (5900x, RTX 3080, etc).   

5 members have voted

1. 1. Should I wait for DDR5?

• Yes!
    • No, DDR4 should work fine.
  2. 2. Is it worth it to wait for Alderlake/Zen4?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Should I wait for 3000 series refresh or other RDNA3 etc?

• Yes
    • No

Budget (including currency): $2600

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Cyberpunk, Metro Exodus, Esports Titles, Blender, Davinci Resolve, Lightroom, Photoshop, Premier Pro (maybe).

Other details Gonna be doing a custom loop in the FormD T1

21 minutes ago, enteraname said:

Gonna be doing a custom loop in the FormD T1

Unless you are overclocking custom loop is worthless

Youll have to refill the coolant, do maintenence, assemble the thing, etc.

And if you go hardline tubing its gonna be a massive pain in the ass to upgrade and itll take awhile to get it up and running, not to mention you need some equiment for doing hardtubing

If you are custom looping for the sole purpose of asthetics then you will only get the downsides and none of the benifits

Btw thats a rather low budget for custom looping, i think you are gonna be better off with a cheap aircooler if you dont oc or a good aio like liquid freezer 240 or 280

If you really insist on custom looping then id suggest going soft tubing, easier to upgrade and setup

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Unless you are overclocking custom loop is worthless

Youll have to refill the coolant, do maintenence, assemble the thing, etc.

And if you go hardline tubing its gonna be a massive pain in the ass to upgrade and itll take awhile to get it up and running, not to mention you need some equiment for doing hardtubing

If you are custom looping for the sole purpose of asthetics then you will only get the downsides and none of the benifits

Btw thats a rather low budget for custom looping, i think you are gonna be better off with a cheap aircooler if you dont oc or a good aio like liquid freezer 240 or 280

If you really insist on custom looping then id suggest going soft tubing, easier to upgrade and setup

Will be overclocking and I'm willing to stretch the budget for custom loop, gonna use zmt tubing. I'm flexible with changing around the build, the main thing I'm looking to figure out is if it makes sense to wait a year and a half or so for next gen hardware.

Just now, enteraname said:

Will be overclocking and I'm willing to stretch the budget for custom loop

Ok then i suggest specing out your build first then specing out your custom loop

If you really cant fit a custom loop then just stick an aio on your cpu and maybe even gpu aswell

43 minutes ago, enteraname said:

Budget (including currency): $2600

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Cyberpunk, Metro Exodus, Esports Titles, Blender, Davinci Resolve, Lightroom, Photoshop, Premier Pro (maybe).

Other details Gonna be doing a custom loop in the FormD T1

The answer to "should I wait" questions is always the same: No one knows until we sees credible reviews and pricing.

The real question to ask is this: "Is my computer capable of handling the tasks I ask of it?". If the answer to that question is yes, then there's not really any need to upgrade. If history is any indicator, the first generation or two of DDR5 platforms will be a dumpster fire.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

what is your current pc?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#