Nonsense idea.

Krisalex
Go to solution Solved by Krisalex,
1 hour ago, NorKris said:

2x   25x12's makes much more sense. once you drop below 2k RPM on these 3k ones they are worse than the 25x12's  😛 

currently the customer installed 3 of thee Noctua's  Industrial PPC 3000 RPM 120 mm fans One as case intake, one as case exhaust, and one as push fan on the nh-u12dx-i4 heatsink following the general air flow. WS on in another floor and noise is not concern, access to the remote station is via remote access. But one still don't think two industrial fans can take anything more from this heatsink, compared monster and customer already has 33 deg. C idle temps on the package and about 53 deg C. for a 95 watt TDP CPU on the package when the processor is stressed with prime 95 for 90 minutes. note the 120 mm industrial is designed to be high static pressure, the 140mm industrial is designed to be high air flow, but working with those proves these can take any role high static as easy as high air flow. 

I start this topic not as requesr for help, but as general chat topic. 

A customer wants to beef up his cooling. He wants to put 2 nf-f12-industrialppc-3000-pwm fans in push-pull configurarion on the heatsink of nh-u12dx-i4 upgrading the stock fan. It makes no sense, it will not increase cooling capacity, compared to one fan, it will sound like roaring beast and being honest, one on these industrial monsters make far more air pressure and airflow that theis cooler can ever make good use of. Please share your thoughts on my customer's idea.

Anyway i still, i believe it is good chat topic to fill idle time. 

Cooler:

https://noctua.at/en/nh-u12dx-i4

Fan:

https://noctua.at/en/nf-f12-industrialppc-3000-pwm

my 2 CPU fans disagree… second fan gets a lot of air to the rear exhaust and quickly out of the case therefore lowering temps.

also such a general statement  "it doesnt do anything" is almost always wrong, depends on many things individually, mostly case design / other components.

As for "industrial" fans, no idea why they wouldnt be able to push more air = more cooling potential.

Also specs we're talking?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

my 2 CPU fans disagree… second fan gets a lot of air to the rear exhaust and quickly out of the case therefore lowering temps.

also such a general statement  "it doesnt do anything" is almost always wrong, depends on many things individually, mostly case design / other components.

As for "industrial" fans, no idea why they wouldnt be able to push more air = more cooling potential.

Also specs we're talking?

Yes, click the links to visit the respective pages. I publish links with specs for all items in question, so people can click them and visit them 🙂

the heatsink in question is:

nh-u12dx-i4

https://noctua.at/en/nh-u12dx-i4

Detailed specs of the cooler:

https://noctua.at/en/nh-u12dx-i4/specification

The fan in question is:

nf-f12-industrialppc-3000-pwm

https://noctua.at/en/nf-f12-industrialppc-3000-pwm

Detailed specs of the industrial fan:

https://noctua.at/en/nf-f12-industrialppc-3000-pwm/specification

the customers wants to replace the stock - consumer fan

nf-f12-pwm
https://noctua.at/en/nf-f12-pwm

Detailed specs of the consumer fan:

https://noctua.at/en/nf-f12-pwm/specification

using the industrial fans as an upgrade option.

CPU is Xeon X5660 socket 1366 on X58 chipset (IOH5520 with ICH10)

Detailed specs of the cpu
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/47921/intel-xeon-processor-x5660-12m-cache-2-80-ghz-6-40-gt-s-intel-qpi.html

Detailed spec on the chipset:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/36785/intel-x58-express-i-o-hub.html

48 gb ram ddr3 1333 Registered ECC multibit correcting ram. 

Thermal compound is:

Thermal Grizzly kryonaut extreme

14,2 W/m*K thermal conductivity

https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/products/359-kryonaut-extreme-en

Basically i also consider how much one fan alone pushes trough the heatsink 

1 consumer version of the fan pushes about 93,4 m³/h in normal setup (No LNA) 

Min RPM 300 RPM (no LNA)

Max RPM 1500  RPM (no LNA)

Static pressure 2,61 mm H₂O (no LNA)

1 industrial version of the fan pushes about 186,7 m³/h in normal setup (No LNA)
Min RPM - 750 RPM (no LNA)
Max RPM - 3000 RPM (no LNA)

Static pressure 7,63 mm H₂O (no LNA)

8 minutes ago, Krisalex said:

CPU is Xeon X5660 s

oh, i see, i agree, that seems like overkill then, but maybe they're thermal throttling? not sure but i guess there will be a reason for wanting to upgrade the cooling (still not really worth it imo)

11 minutes ago, Krisalex said:

1 consumer version of the fan pushes about 93,4 m³/h in normal setup

well i just know adding a second fan to my cooler was good for~3-4c lower CPU temps in p95 (which really isnt much) but funny enough overall temps improved tremendously, id say GPU even about 5c lower… somehow it all lines up perfectly, hence in my *case* adding a second fan, was super effective.

20210715_104622.thumb.jpg.ddd852102b10d2b1b810871a42bc2f21.jpg

you see? its a high speed windtunnel! 😅

but i see where you coming from… maybe just add a second fan to the cooler? but yeah, unless hardcore overclocking, those industrial fans really seem overkill ...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

This is why i say it makes no sense. My customer is not overclocking, and considering:

1 industrial fan alone creates the same airflow as 2 consumer fans

exceeds the static pressure of 2 consumer fans....

X5660 is 95 Watts tdp CPU

10 hours ago, Krisalex said:

This is why i say it makes no sense. My customer is not overclocking, and considering:

1 industrial fan alone creates the same airflow as 2 consumer fans

exceeds the static pressure of 2 consumer fans....

X5660 is 95 Watts tdp CPU

One 3000rpm fan would perform better but be noisier. The 2nd fan only helps as much as the first fan is struggling to push air through the fins. 

Either would increase cooling capacity but whether there's a practical difference or not depends on what current load temps are. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The good thing about having a strong cooler with strong fans, and the case flow to match it is you do not have to turn your overclock down in the summer, and you can really push it in the winter. The downside is that it isn’t going to be silent. You will hear the shit out of it and possibly develop tinnitus over time if your fans are awesome enough 🤘🏻

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12 V2
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, TL-B14, TY-143

Hello. The drama of my customer is a production workstation Lenovo Thinkstation S20.  Server grade/production workstation grade hardware, overclock is neither usable or applicable option, though the cpu xeon x5660 is a good hint. The chipset is x58, based on IOH 5520 and ICH 10. The customer installed the nh-u12dx-i4 cooler. The heatsink has huge area, lots of fins, and it is not very deep. I believe the consumer grade fan is doing very well, and the second will be a slight overkill, one industrial will make all the pressure and airflow this heatsink can ever use, but 2 industrial fans on this heatsing it absolutely makes no sesnse on this heatsink

21 minutes ago, Krisalex said:

Hello. The drama of my customer is a production workstation Lenovo Thinkstation S20.  Server grade/production workstation grade hardware, overclock is neither usable or applicable option, though the cpu xeon x5660 is a good hint. The chipset is x58, based on IOH 5520 and ICH 10. The customer installed the nh-u12dx-i4 cooler. The heatsink has huge area, lots of fins, and it is not very deep. I believe the consumer grade fan is doing very well, and the second will be a slight overkill, one industrial will make all the pressure and airflow this heatsink can ever use, but 2 industrial fans on this heatsing it absolutely makes no sesnse on this heatsink

i dont think you can oc on an Lenovo Thinkstation S20. only with treadstop and only with an unlocked cpu w3670/80

even the dell i have and the cpu lottery i could not get 4.0

dellt3500 w7.png

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

2x   25x12's makes much more sense. once you drop below 2k RPM on these 3k ones they are worse than the 25x12's  😛 

54 minutes ago, Krisalex said:

Why would anyone bother doing anything to that in professional use? Just get a new pc instead of wasting money on decade old cpu worth less than those fans.

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

i dont think you can oc on an Lenovo Thinkstation S20. only with treadstop and only with an unlocked cpu w3670/80

even the dell i have and the cpu lottery i could not get 4.0

dellt3500 w7.png

no, no overclock. i know it earth shattering statement, but no overclock. 

40 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Why would anyone bother doing anything to that in professional use? Just get a new pc instead of wasting money on decade old cpu worth less than those fans.

I do not mean to be rude or disrespectful, but this is not my computer, it is my customer's computer. I am paid to make it work. if my customer pays i will take the money and make it work. Why he uses this platform? i don't know and i don't care. I am paid to make it work i make it work. By the way professional grade hardware do not age as bad as consumer grade hardware. but at the end of the line you are correct about one thing - it is 11 years old platform. if you ask for my personal opinion, i strongly agree with you - does it have potential -no. does it have future - no. My personal guess - the customer wants to use it while it works and when motherboard fails he will trash it 🙂 

3 minutes ago, Krisalex said:

I do not mean to be rude or disrespectful, but this is not my computer, it is my customer's computer. I am paid to make it work. if my customer pays i will take the money and make it work. Why he uses this platform? i don't know and i don't care. I am paid to make it work i make it work. By the way professional grade hardware do not age as bad as consumer grade hardware. but at the end of the line you are correct about one thing - it is 11 years old platform. if you ask for my personal opinion, i strongly agree with you - does it have potential -no. does it have future - no. My personal guess - the customer wants to use it while it works and when motherboard fails he will trash it 🙂 

With that pc it is not rude to point out it is old and most likely obsolete. It is rude not to make sure the customer knows it.

1 hour ago, NorKris said:

currently the customer installed 3 of thee Noctua's  Industrial PPC 3000 RPM 120 mm fans One as case intake, one as case exhaust, and one as push fan on the nh-u12dx-i4 heatsink following the general air flow. WS on in another floor and noise is not concern, access to the remote station is via remote access. But one still don't think two industrial fans can take anything more from this heatsink, compared monster and customer already has 33 deg. C idle temps on the package and about 53 deg C. for a 95 watt TDP CPU on the package when the processor is stressed with prime 95 for 90 minutes. note the 120 mm industrial is designed to be high static pressure, the 140mm industrial is designed to be high air flow, but working with those proves these can take any role high static as easy as high air flow. 

11 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

With that pc it is not rude to point out it is old and most likely obsolete. It is rude not to make sure the customer knows it.

My customer knows it is old. he told me clearly "i know it is old,  but i want to use it until it works" so no worries about it.