Can I power my pump from my mobo's onboard header?

I have an Asus Strix B-450-i gaming motherboard and an Alphacool 13178 Laing DDC310 pump. 

The pump comes with a 3 pin fan header with a single wire for the speed signal, and a molex connector with two wires for power (I have it plugged into sata power using an adapter). It would make my ITX build much cleaner if I could just use the motherboard header. Is it safe to rewire the system to use just the motherboard header? I'd probably just run it at full speed anyways.

Thanks for the advice.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

G.Skill TridentZ 3200MHz 2x8GB

Corsair SFX 750W

Phanteks Evolve Shift Air (glass front)

2x Corsair Force GS 120GB SSD (RAID 0)

8 minutes ago, nightmarevoid said:

I have an Asus Strix B-450-i gaming motherboard and an Alphacool 13178 Laing DDC310 pump. 

The pump comes with a 3 pin fan header with a single wire for the speed signal, and a molex connector with two wires for power (I have it plugged into sata power using an adapter). It would make my ITX build much cleaner if I could just use the motherboard header. Is it safe to rewire the system to use just the motherboard header? I'd probably just run it at full speed anyways.

Thanks for the advice.

depends on the DDC, but that one apparantly only draws 10 W, so with a 1 A header (which most CPU headers are) it should actually be fine. However, some DDCs are rated for 18 W so depends on whether you believe the spec sheet or not.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

depends on the DDC, but that one apparantly only draws 10 W, so with a 1 A header (which most CPU headers are) it should actually be fine. However, some DDCs are rated for 18 W so depends on whether you believe the spec sheet or not.

Yeah the wattage seems suspicious to me. Most pumps draw more current and power when they first start. I have a very small loop with very little head pressure, but I don't want to risk it pulling more than the port can handle when the computer turns on.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

Corsair SFX 750W

If it was me Id figure out a way to use that molex and not depend solely on the mobo. cable clutter is much easier to deal with over a smoked mobo header

35 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

If it was me Id figure out a way to use that molex and not depend solely on the mobo. cable clutter is much easier to deal with over a smoked mobo header

That's how I have it right now, using molex with a sata adapter, but for the last year I've been wanting to get it working off of the fan header alone so I figured it's worth finally looking into.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

Corsair SFX 750W

You can rewire the pump to run off the mobo header (black, yellow, blue) , according to the manual CPU header can supply up to 2 amp. Plug the pump to the CPU header and set the header to the DC mode in BIOS, this way you can control the speed of the pump.

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop