Is manual Over-Provisioning still a thing?

Shira

Ever since I´ve had SSDs I set aside 10-20 GB on each drive for OP as recommended by Samsung's Magician app etc, but I've noticed new computers, even $$ Asus Zenbooks come from the factory without any OP space assigned. Is there already a hidden fixed space set aside on new drives these days that they don't do this anymore? Even popular PC build channels don't seem to do it.

For almost all SSDs used for consumer workloads, you don't have to do any extra overprovisiong. With trim the free space is basically given back to the drive for over provisioning, and modern ssds have way more endurance that a desktop/laptop would normally ever use.

Generally, there is some extra space not accessible to the user, but if you don't trust yourself not to over-fill the drive and want to manually do some extra over-provisioning, you can just create an empty partition on the drive. SSDs don't respect partition boundaries like HDDs do, so the drive will still use those cells for wear-leveling, but you won't have access to the full drive worth of storage anymore unless you reformat that section.