Desktop Speakers-For an Idiot?!-Help

connorkincaid
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
2 hours ago, connorkincaid said:

Okay!! So the Edifier would just have the amp already inside the unit? I wouldn't have to go about buying a separate one? 

Yup.

Hi, 

I don't know much in the way of audio, what so ever. I've always been the guy with the mid-tier gaming headset who likes to listen to a lot of music while he pops some heads in Battlefield or the like. 

My needs are not great. Like I said, audio is not an area of technology that I have delved very deeply into. 

What I'm looking for is a set of desktop speakers. $75-200

1. I want something that I can still utilize now, just plug and play-USB powered would be great (unless there's a good reason to go with something else).

2. While I would like to set it up in a fairly basic way, I would like the ability to have some speakers that can be augmented with something like a DAC to bring it to that next level-when I'm ready. 

3. I NEED something that is going to handle "heavy" genres well. Too many times have I picked up SOME form of audio equipment, and have been disappointed with how it handles my kind of music. 

Example: Black Tongue, Code Orange, Touce Amore

I also like rap music quite a lot, so some good bass would be nice as well. 

4. The speakers need to have an option to be in either a wood tone or white. 

I've done my own research before coming to posting this, so please understand that I've looked at several different options before posting this. Only reason that I ask is because I know there are people here who know  a LOT more than I do. 

I would REALLY appreciate some advice!!!

4 minutes ago, connorkincaid said:

Hi, 

I don't know much in the way of audio, what so ever. I've always been the guy with the mid-tier gaming headset who likes to listen to a lot of music while he pops some heads in Battlefield or the like. 

My needs are not great. Like I said, audio is not an area of technology that I have delved very deeply into. 

What I'm looking for is a set of desktop speakers. $75-200

1. I want something that I can still utilize now, just plug and play-USB powered would be great (unless there's a good reason to go with something else).

2. While I would like to set it up in a fairly basic way, I would like the ability to have some speakers that can be augmented with something like a DAC to bring it to that next level-when I'm ready. 

3. I NEED something that is going to handle "heavy" genres well. Too many times have I picked up SOME form of audio equipment, and have been disappointed with how it handles my kind of music. 

Example: Black Tongue, Code Orange, Touce Amore

I also like rap music quite a lot, so some good bass would be nice as well. 

4. The speakers need to have an option to be in either a wood tone or white. 

I've done my own research before coming to posting this, so please understand that I've looked at several different options before posting this. Only reason that I ask is because I know there are people here who know  a LOT more than I do. 

I would REALLY appreciate some advice!!!

I'm not an audiophile, but just wanted good quality out of the box, so I went with Bose Companion 2 Series III speakers. I personally love them, but they aren't USB though.

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

why not just buy a receiver and speakers instead of cheapo consumer computer desk speakers

Because I've found that the cost is typically much higher when going that route, at least in my research. Unless I just don't know that to look for. 

3 minutes ago, connorkincaid said:

Because I've found that the cost is typically much higher when going that route, at least in my research. Unless I just don't know that to look for. 

more than likely where youre searching is overpriced and or youre only looking at new products.

Almost any receiver made in the last 50 years over 100 watts will exceed the quality and expansion capabilities of any pc speakers you'll find. You can then connect any speakers you want to it depending on the type of sound you want or whatever space requirements you have. Have you tried ebay?

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

more than likely where youre searching is overpriced and or youre only looking at new products.

Almost any receiver made in the last 50 years over 100 watts will exceed the quality and expansion capabilities of any pc speakers you'll find. You can then connect any speakers you want to it depending on the type of sound you want or whatever space requirements you have. Have you tried ebay?

Honestly I haven't, is there anything in particular I should be looking out for? Any articles or knowledge bases that you know of that could be helpful in my research?

you can go on something like r/audiophile and simply ask for a receiver recommendation , I myself typically lean toward yamaha. Although right now I use a sansui 210. But picking a receiver and speakers is pretty easy when the alternative is plastic pc speakers. 

Anything USB powered will not sound great, because the amount of power on a standard usb port is limited to around 10 watts.  So even with a class D amplifier, you're looking at around 4w per channel, which is very little. 

Also, audio amplifier chips tend to work better with higher voltages, like 24-48v, hence lots of amplifiers will use such power supplies built in, or split power supplies +/- 12v for example.

I know of no usb powered speakers that are anything but at best ok as they simply do not have the power they need to have a good soundspace from just usb.

So basically this (yes they have different colours this is the first one I found if you don't like the colours just vinyl wrap em in 5 minutes time and call it a day)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O8YLMVA/?tag=1stmusic-20

plus some cheap amp would be AMAZING.

These are more entry level and have a built in amp

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1280T-Powered-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B016P9HJIA?tag=musiccritic-search-20

Either way there are MANY options all better than what a usb speaker could ever do.

Gigaworks T20 I think will hit your budget, if you can stretch to it, get the T40's instead. Great sound quality for the price. Not USB but decent speakers will require more energy than USB provides. 

Just seen point 4 which will definitely complicate the search...

Q-Acoustic 3010i (which gives you a white or wood grain option, again amazing price to performance) and an amp but that's over budget.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

49 minutes ago, connorkincaid said:

If I'm willing to increase my budget to $300, what would you recommend? 

@jaslion

Ok before I go recommending things hear me out.

Do you have a local used, thrift,... store anywhere near you?

Why? Well basically all of my best audio equipment is used and I bought some amazing sony speakers + a yamaha dsp amp for 70€ total and that blows everything out of the water here.

If you are not down for that then I can suggest you some others BUT keep in mind that more expensive isn't better when you enter the 200-500$ range as here all of the best value stuff is for random prices really.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Ok before I go recommending things hear me out.

Do you have a local used, thrift,... store anywhere near you?

Why? Well basically all of my best audio equipment is used and I bought some amazing sony speakers + a yamaha dsp amp for 70€ total and that blows everything out of the water here.

If you are not down for that then I can suggest you some others BUT keep in mind that more expensive isn't better when you enter the 200-500$ range as here all of the best value stuff is for random prices really.

I don't really have many thrift stores around here, but I'll be sure to check them out. I will have to check craigslist and the like as well. 

I think I would rather buy NEW bookshelf speakers however. 

What would you recommend for just the speakers itself, if I could find myself a decent amp?

I don't really have many thrift stores around here, but I'll be sure to check them out. I will have to check craigslist and the like as well. 

I think I would rather buy NEW bookshelf speakers however. 

What would you recommend for just the speakers itself, if I could find myself a decent amp?

Well funny enough those sony's I sent are amongst the best just a little older but well audio gear kinda doesn't age.

That or some Edifier R2000DBs if you want that woodgrain. These are active speakers with a built in amp but they do have the nice thing that they don't start compressing when going loud.

The bass of both is of course not as good compared to you getting a sub but then again if you really want bass you'll add a subwoofer to anything. I mean it's a whole different speaker for just bass :p.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Well funny enough those sony's I sent are amongst the best just a little older but well audio gear kinda doesn't age.

That or some Edifier R2000DBs if you want that woodgrain. These are active speakers with a built in amp but they do have the nice thing that they don't start compressing when going loud.

The bass of both is of course not as good compared to you getting a sub but then again if you really want bass you'll add a subwoofer to anything. I mean it's a whole different speaker for just bass :p.

Okay!! So the Edifier would just have the amp already inside the unit? I wouldn't have to go about buying a separate one? 

Yup.

46 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yup.

Hey, thanks for giving such great information, appreciate it!

some other options for you to consider:

All active speakers (have the amp built in)

Presonus eris 3.5

Audioengine a2+

yamaha hs5

Yes you can go down the amp/speakers route, but it will take up a lot more space - just depends how much room you have.  Also modern decent actives are every bit as good as a separate amp/speaker set up.  It also depends on the listening position.  A lot of the Amp / Speaker set ups are designed to be listened to at more of a distance than active nearfield monitors, so some people find active nearfields sound better in a pc set up simply due to listening position.

10 hours ago, evilcloud said:

some other options for you to consider:

All active speakers (have the amp built in)

Presonus eris 3.5

Audioengine a2+

yamaha hs5

Yes you can go down the amp/speakers route, but it will take up a lot more space - just depends how much room you have.  Also modern decent actives are every bit as good as a separate amp/speaker set up.  It also depends on the listening position.  A lot of the Amp / Speaker set ups are designed to be listened to at more of a distance than active nearfield monitors, so some people find active nearfields sound better in a pc set up simply due to listening position.

I've been trying to decide between the A2+ and the Kanto YU4's. 

Do you know if there is a big difference between the two? 

the main difference would be size.  I have the a2+ and they are great, but there's a much more limited "sweet spot" due to the size of the drivers, but I didn't have much space left on my desk, hence going for the smaller ones.

Plus from a purely physics point of view the YU4 having bigger drivers will have more bass available if you need it.