How to achieve Full Steam? (Full Ram Speed. Vengeance LPX.)

Go to solution Solved by Chris Pratt,
10 minutes ago, RalphAlpha111 said:

Riight, but how do I know that I can use *all* 3000 MHz-ies. I heard time and time again that, you must work around in the BIOS to get all the performance that I got.

So... what if you got 3200 MHz. If you can only use half of it. Maybe I was not clear enough. But how do I know, how to I see, how to I set, that I use the 3000 MHz. Is it *meant* to show only half of it and it just doesn't tell you? Because that'd be a bit stupidito. 

3000MHz RAM doesn't technically exist. It's 3000 MT/s (mega-transfers per second) and the actual clockspeed is 1500MHz. DDR means double data rate, or two transfers per cycle, so 1500MHz = 3000 MT/s. Manufacturers just call it 3000MHz because consumers are more familiar with that terminology and it's effectively the same as if it actually was 3000MHz with just a single transfer per cycle. This is why it's referred to as the "effective clockspeed". In other words, RAM rated at 3000MHz has an effective clockspeed of 3000MHz and an actual clockspeed of 1500MHz. Software may report either.

So. As it turns out, that about two years ago, when I got my own proper PC, I have ever since been using half the speed of my purchased RAM.
In my humble MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, I am running 4 x 8 GB Vengeance LPX, which is *meant* to run at 3000 MHz. However, Recently I was curious and looked into my Task Manager under Memory... and it showed me 1500 MHz - half the speed, if you aren't a mathematician like me.

Either way, I managed to fiddle my way into the BIOS and I am supposedly meant to enable XMP (Which.. is supposedly an Intel technology. In an AMD motherboard. 'Kay, why not.) I was tired last night and tried to enable it, but there are apparently two profiles? I enabled the second one, I believe, and before going to work today, I checked my 'Puter and- what do you know- nothing's changed. I am at work right now, but if anyone happens to know what the hecky I need to do, that would be greatly appreciated. The one to give me the best of advice will receive... a slice of bread. Expect shipment within the next two years. Thank you in advance.

Oh yeah  Rzn 5 3600 is my CPU if that is relevent. 

1 minute ago, RalphAlpha111 said:

So. As it turns out, that about two years ago, when I got my own proper PC, I have ever since been using half the speed of my purchased RAM.
In my humble MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, I am running 4 x 8 GB Vengeance LPX, which is *meant* to run at 3000 MHz. However, Recently I was curious and looked into my Task Manager under Memory... and it showed me 1500 MHz - half the speed, if you aren't a mathematician like me.

Either way, I managed to fiddle my way into the BIOS and I am supposedly meant to enable XMP (Which.. is supposedly an Intel technology. In an AMD motherboard. 'Kay, why not.) I was tired last night and tried to enable it, but there are apparently two profiles? I enabled the second one, I believe, and before going to work today, I checked my 'Puter and- what do you know- nothing's changed. I am at work right now, but if anyone happens to know what the hecky I need to do, that would be greatly appreciated. The one to give me the best of advice will receive... a slice of bread. Expect shipment within the next two years. Thank you in advance.

Oh yeah  Rzn 5 3600 is my CPU if that is relevent. 

Check in CPU-Z. It should say 1500mhz, which is half of ur actual speed. I have 3200mhz ram, it is showing 1600mhz. image.png.2236eff8a108f70559e5956f14d4cf2b.png

2 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

Check in CPU-Z. It should say 1500mhz, which is half of ur actual speed. I have 3200mhz ram, it is showing 1600mhz. image.png.2236eff8a108f70559e5956f14d4cf2b.png

Riight, but how do I know that I can use *all* 3000 MHz-ies. I heard time and time again that, you must work around in the BIOS to get all the performance that I got.

So... what if you got 3200 MHz. If you can only use half of it. Maybe I was not clear enough. But how do I know, how to I see, how to I set, that I use the 3000 MHz. Is it *meant* to show only half of it and it just doesn't tell you? Because that'd be a bit stupidito. 

3 minutes ago, RalphAlpha111 said:

CPU-Z only shows half, because ram is DDR (double data rate) So it can send and receive data 2 times per cycle. If it shows 1500mhz, with DDR it actually is 3000mhz.

1 minute ago, Latvian Video said:

CPU-Z only shows half, because ram is DDR (double data rate) So it can send and receive data 2 times per cycle. If it shows 1500mhz, with DDR it actually is 3000mhz.

So it is meant to show only half of it... right. Kind of stupid, but okay then. I appreciate your assistence. Let us hope that in the future, this issue won't persist. God forbid if QDR (Quad Data Rate) becomes the hot sh**, some dude out there will be pissed that he's only getting 2000 MHz, or something. I dunno. Just rambling.

10 minutes ago, RalphAlpha111 said:

3000MHz RAM doesn't technically exist. It's 3000 MT/s (mega-transfers per second) and the actual clockspeed is 1500MHz. DDR means double data rate, or two transfers per cycle, so 1500MHz = 3000 MT/s. Manufacturers just call it 3000MHz because consumers are more familiar with that terminology and it's effectively the same as if it actually was 3000MHz with just a single transfer per cycle. This is why it's referred to as the "effective clockspeed". In other words, RAM rated at 3000MHz has an effective clockspeed of 3000MHz and an actual clockspeed of 1500MHz. Software may report either.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 minute ago, Chris Pratt said:

Oh how the world needs to be so needlessly complicated.. Thank you for your insight!