Using a drive's partition as another drive's backup

Makaida
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
1 minute ago, Makaida said:

I merely want the partition so it doesn't get mixed up with all the junk and I can just click on "My PC" and differentiate them easily. 

Thank you for the recommendation tho!

Trust me, you don't want a partition, its much easier to just have one big partition. It won't show all the files under my pc. 

Just make a folder on the hdd for backups.

Hey there!

I recently bought a 3TB HDD after 5 years of owning my PC since my 1TB original HDD started struggling to keep all the games, school files and family photos without constant "cleaning". I was wondering if I could divide my 3TB into a 1TB and a 2TB partition and use the 1TB partition as a backup for the original 1TB drive. My idea was to keep all the important stuff duplicated in 2 different drives and use the 2TB partition as a game/unimportant dumping ground. 

While I'd like to have a separate drive not in use as a backup I honestly don't have the patience to manually backup every couple weeks or months but also don't wanna risk losing everything from that original drive. So 2 redundant working drives seemed like a good middle ground.

I'd like to know if there's some way to automatically duplicate the data from that original drive to the new partition. Let's say I extract all my phone's pictures to the drive, it automatically copies them to the partition, I eliminate the unwanted ones on the drive, and it also eliminates them on the backup and vice-versa so that both drives are always up to date with each other and in case 1 fails all my data won't be lost.

Thank you in advance for any help and/or tips ❤️

Why make a partition? Id just let a backup program like veeam make a image file of the disk. Then its easier to do incemantial backups too.

25 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why make a partition? Id just let a backup program like veeam make a image file of the disk. Then its easier to do incemantial backups too.

I merely want the partition so it doesn't get mixed up with all the junk and I can just click on "My PC" and differentiate them easily. 

1 minute ago, Makaida said:

Trust me, you don't want a partition, its much easier to just have one big partition. It won't show all the files under my pc. 

57 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Okay I'll try that. Thank you so much.

On 8/2/2021 at 11:59 PM, Blue4130 said:

Keeping the backup IN the same system that it is backing up is rather risky.

I do agree but as I said I need something that's constantly up to date without a lot of "manual" work. Just gotta pray both drives dont give up at the same time.