Couple of questions about blender

Go to solution Solved by DigitalGoat,
Just now, Ankh Tech said:

Ok so now I will follow his rigging and animating tutorials, and then export it. I hope then I can import the file in a new project and usei as a baseline for other characters. Question, if I rig and animate a character in blender and impor it to uniy, can I use those animations in unity, or should I animate in unity

The animations you rig in blender should carry into Unity, but as I said the Z value is different in Unity so may screw with the animation in some way, I'm sure imphenzia will mention this in one of his tutorials. As far as using Mixamo or other rigging apps, I'm not certain as I have never used anything other than blender to rig animations and I don't use Unity.

So I followed the forum's advice and installed blender on an old dell dual core laptop, only doing low poly modelling and it isn't laggy at all. The only hiccups are sometimes the overview lags and I have to wait a minute to move around the scene again and I have the following questions:

1. Let's say I made a character that I want to keep the character unpainted and copy the object to make an officer o a criminal. Whenever I copy paste the object I can't seem to be able to repaint i. Note: I use UV Editing mode to colour.

2. Lets say the previous problem can' be fixed, can I make the character a saved item hat I can drag in like prefabs in unity? or is that not possible

14 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

So I followed the forum's advice and installed blender on an old dell dual core laptop, only doing low poly modelling and it isn't laggy at all. The only hiccups are sometimes the overview lags and I have to wait a minute to move around the scene again and I have the following questions:

1. Let's say I made a character that I want to keep the character unpainted and copy the object to make an officer o a criminal. Whenever I copy paste the object I can't seem to be able to repaint i. Note: I use UV Editing mode to colour.

2. Lets say the previous problem can' be fixed, can I make the character a saved item hat I can drag in like prefabs in unity? or is that not possible

Firstly here is a link to a blender/ Unity user with some very good tutorials on both https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Imphenzia , just in case you haven't already found him. Next, you can turn down the sample rate for viewport rendering to speed it up a bit, also turn of denoising, show objects you don't need to alter often as wireframe etc, but it very much depends on the graphics hardware you are using. How are you creating your character, modelling or sculpting? I think sculpting strips out UV mapping (could be wrong here) so you might need to unwrap again after altering it, how are you copy/ pasting the object and what are you copying between?

Also you can export your objects in a variety of formats (.fbx is the most compatible I think) and there are more available in preferences/ addons, and more you can use either paid or free if you search blender related forums, tutorials.

1 minute ago, DigitalGoat said:

Firstly here is a link to a blender/ Unity user with some very good tutorials on both, just in case you haven't already found him. Next, you can turn down the sample rate for viewport rendering to speed it up a bit, also turn of denoising, show objects you don't need to alter often as wireframe etc, but it very much depends on the graphics hardware you are using. How are you creating your character, modelling or sculpting? I think sculpting strips out UV mapping (could be wrong here) so you might need to unwrap again after altering it, how are you copy/ pasting the object and what are you copying between?

Also you can export your objects in a variety of formats (.fbx is the most compatible I think) and there are more available in preferences/ addons, and more you can use either paid or free if you search blender related forums, tutorials.

Hello, sorry but to be honest I'm a bit lost here I am very new to blender so don't understand most terms, it is running fine I don't want to change any settings, and as for the exporting, so I can export it and then drag it in whenever I want in anoher projec? Thanks,

4 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

Hello, sorry but to be honest I'm a bit lost here I am very new to blender so don't understand most terms, it is running fine I don't want to change any settings, and as for the exporting, so I can export it and then drag it in whenever I want in anoher projec? Thanks,

Ok, well as far as exporting is concerned if you export as either .obj or .fbx it should allow most apps to load your projects/ objects. Just be aware that Unity, for example, changes the Z value of objects (so the Z axis is back/ forward, whereas in blender it is up/ down). Not sure why the link I posted doesn't show in your quote, so if you search Youtube for imphenzia he does some very good blender and Unity tutorials.

Ok, well as far as exporting is concerned if you export as either .obj or .fbx it should allow most apps to load your projects/ objects. Just be aware that Unity, for example, changes the Z value of objects (so the Z axis is back/ forward, whereas in blender it is up/ down). Not sure why the link I posted doesn't show in your quote, so if you search Youtube for imphenzia he does some very good blender and Unity tutorials.

Yes Imphenzia is he youtuber that got me into game developen and I am following one of his tutorials right now to create rig and animate a low poly character

1 minute ago, Ankh Tech said:

Yes Imphenzia is he youtuber that got me into game developen and I am following one of his tutorials right now to create rig and animate a low poly character

Oh good, you are on the right track with him. You can download the blender manual which is well worth a browse as you tackle each feature which may help you when following tutorials.

Oh good, you are on the right track with him. You can download the blender manual which is well worth a browse as you tackle each feature which may help you when following tutorials.

Ok so now I will follow his rigging and animating tutorials, and then export it. I hope then I can import the file in a new project and usei as a baseline for other characters. Question, if I rig and animate a character in blender and impor it to uniy, can I use those animations in unity, or should I animate in unity

Just now, Ankh Tech said:

The animations you rig in blender should carry into Unity, but as I said the Z value is different in Unity so may screw with the animation in some way, I'm sure imphenzia will mention this in one of his tutorials. As far as using Mixamo or other rigging apps, I'm not certain as I have never used anything other than blender to rig animations and I don't use Unity.

2 minutes ago, DigitalGoat said:

Ok, thank you so much @DigitalGoatyou were really helpful to me