Issue with half my memory channels not posting if they have ram installed in them.

pwarrow88

So I have recently upgraded to Ryzen 9 5950x along with that I got a MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WIFI motherboard however when I installed the CPU and attempted to boot it didn't post and I tried to move all the 2 sticks of ram I got which total up to 16GB total. They are Trident G-Skill RGB memory btw. To the two ram slots furthers away from the CPU socket and it seems to post and detect all 16 GB however if there was even one stick of ram on the other RAM channel side the system wont post it will just stay according to the mother board debug led stuck at the Dram light. I also tried to use the latest beta bios along with the non beta one but both didn't resolve the issue. Oh yeah also is giving a Ryzen 9-5950x only a single 8 pin EPS connector worth of power enough or this can result in some issues. Does anyone have any suggestions thanks for any help in advance.

Be sure the RAM is in the appropriate RAM slots as stated in the motherboard's manual. They should be installed in DIMMA2 and DIMMB2, typically looking from the motherboard, the second slot over from the CPU socket and the fourth (furthest away) slot from the CPU socket. 

Screenshot (114).png

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, SpiderMan said:

Be sure the RAM is in the appropriate RAM slots as stated in the motherboard's manual. They should be installed in DIMMA2 and DIMMB2, typically looking from the motherboard, the second slot over from the CPU socket and the fourth (furthest away) slot from the CPU socket. 

Screenshot (114).png

Omg how did I over look that. I thought I check but I just looked in my menu and I was so wrong. well gonna give it a shot now. Thanks

Just now, pwarrow88 said:

Omg how did I over look that. I thought I check but I just looked in my menu and I was so wrong. well gonna give it a shot now. Thanks

No problem!! This can happen to anyone so don't feel dumb about that. You already updated the BIOS, which I was going to suggest next, but this definitely should work. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

6 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

No problem!! This can happen to anyone so don't feel dumb about that. You already updated the BIOS, which I was going to suggest next, but this definitely should work. 

Hi so I am back and it still does not work I am not sure why.

6 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Do you think the motherboard is broken since I bought it used from BNH photos

2 minutes ago, pwarrow88 said:

Hi so I am back and it still does not work I am not sure why.

Strange, have you tried to clear CMOS to see if maybe it needs just a reset to boot? 

3 minutes ago, pwarrow88 said:

Do you think the motherboard is broken since I bought it used from BNH photos

There is always a chance the motherboard is indeed broken and is dead on arrival for some people. B&H Photos is a known retailer (although I believe more towards camera gear). 

Just now, SpiderMan said:

Strange, have you tried to clear CMOS to see if maybe it needs just a reset to boot? 

There is always a chance the motherboard is indeed broken and is dead on arrival for some people. B&H Photos is a known retailer (although I believe more towards camera gear). 

yes I have tried CMOS clear and sigh because I am from Malaysia they import fees were crazy to buy it not sure if I could ask for local Rma

2 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Perhaps I will just buy and new motherboard haha.

Perhaps I will just buy and new motherboard haha.

That might be your best option to test out the system in a new motherboard to rule out the motherboard being the issue. 

That might be your best option to test out the system in a new motherboard to rule out the motherboard being the issue. 

Good point but at the moment I don't have one handy. Oh well back to saving to buy a motherboard I suppose.

1 minute ago, pwarrow88 said:

Good point but at the moment I don't have one handy. Oh well back to saving to buy a motherboard I suppose.

Are you able to return this MSI motherboard for a refund? Or is it just the shipping fees to send it back that are cost prohibitive? Or just RMA it from MSI, although they may say to contact the retailer that sold you the motherboard. 

Are you able to return this MSI motherboard for a refund? Or is it just the shipping fees to send it back that are cost prohibitive? Or just RMA it from MSI, although they may say to contact the retailer that sold you the motherboard. 

I am currently looking into it not sure how this whole Rma thing works since I never done it before.

I am currently looking into it not sure how this whole Rma thing works since I never done it before.

Usually, you contact the manufacturer on their support pages, fill out a form that Proof of Purchase (i.e. receipt/invoice) and provide the serial number of the product. It'll have a list of options to choose from for why you want to process the RMA and to follow accordingly. Wait a couple days for them to get back to you and they'll authorize the RMA. I've only done RMA once for a PSU, but some companies will not cover a shipping label to send the product back to them. 

Note, I would highly recommend taking pictures of the motherboard and any S/N on it before as they can just outright replace the motherboard with a different one (most likely refurbished when we are talking about RMA, unless new), but they'll say they replaced the motherboard but they actually send the same board you sent them back to you. I guess you can call it a game of... hot potato

40 minutes ago, pwarrow88 said:

To the two ram slots furthers away from the CPU socket and it seems to post and detect all 16 GB however if there was even one stick of ram on the other RAM channel side the system wont post it will just stay

If the left slots (channel A) are keeping the system from turning on correctly, your CPU might have a bad memory controller. It can also be bad contact from the CPU pins to the motherboard socket. 

Carefully remove and re-insert the CPU into the socket. I recommend twisting the CPU cooler before you remove it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, SpiderMan said:

Usually, you contact the manufacturer on their support pages, fill out a form that Proof of Purchase (i.e. receipt/invoice) and provide the serial number of the product. It'll have a list of options to choose from for why you want to process the RMA and to follow accordingly. Wait a couple days for them to get back to you and they'll authorize the RMA. I've only done RMA once for a PSU, but some companies will not cover a shipping label to send the product back to them. 

Note, I would highly recommend taking pictures of the motherboard and any S/N on it before as they can just outright replace the motherboard with a different one (most likely refurbished when we are talking about RMA, unless new), but they'll say they replaced the motherboard but they actually send the same board you sent them back to you. I guess you can call it a game of... hot potato

Alright I will make sure to keep this in mind thanks for the help

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

If the left slots (channel A) are keeping the system from turning on correctly, your CPU might have a bad memory controller. It can also be bad contact from the CPU pins to the motherboard socket. 

Carefully remove and re-insert the CPU into the socket. I recommend twisting the CPU cooler before you remove it.

Okay I will go try this thanks for the help hopefully it can work haha.