Ethernet cable not working/recognized/reading

I don't have a wireless adapter and therefore I resort to using an ethernet cable, however it has stopped working sometime this week and it has been working fine for a solid year now

Ryzen 7 3700x - Nvidia GTX 1660 Super - MSI b450 tomahawk max 

Could be the cable or the network port on your network card/motherboard or the port on the router. Maybe try if another cable works as a first step.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

Could be the cable or the network port on your network card/motherboard or the port on the router. Maybe try if another cable works as a first step.

I did try another cable, still doesn't work. It could be the ports, and if it is, then what should I do? But before I try anything like that should I reset the CMOS battery incase the BIOS settings are interfering with the ethernet

1 minute ago, krugers123 said:

But before I try anything like that should I reset the CMOS battery incase the BIOS settings are interfering with the ethernet

Unless you've been messing with network stuff in the BIOS this sounds like an unlikely cause. But I guess it doesn't hurt to try. Could also be that a recent Windows/driver update messed with it. You could try booting a Linux live-USB, see if network works there to rule out Windows as the cause.

I did try another cable, still doesn't work. It could be the ports, and if it is, then what should I do?

If your router has multiple ports, try switching to another port, see if that helps. If it still doesn't work, see if the connection is fine with another PC or laptop. Do the lights on the ports indicate a physical connection?

If the router's ports are damaged, then you'd need a replacement router. If its the port on the motherboard, you could either buy a separate network card or replace the whole motherboard.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply