looking for 1U router with at least 1 SFP+ port

RollinLower

alright, so i recently upgraded my switch to a Juniper EX 3400. 

mostly to get myself familliar with junos, but also because i love the looks and it's a beast!

anyway, i now face a challenge. my previous switch (HP Aruba 2350-48G) was uplinked to my router (Mikrotik RB2011-UiAS-RM) with a 10G DAC cable i flashed to a 1G config. 

but now with the new Juniper, there are no 1G configs available, so i guess now is as good a time as any to make the switch to proper 10G.

so yeah, i want a new router to replace the Mikrotik.

- needs to be a 1U rackmount

- needs to have at least 1 SFP+ port

- big + if it is silent, or if it can take some noctuas atleast.

- don't like ubiiquity, please don't recommend those.

no further requirements, anything goes! (as long as i don't have to sell a lung to afford it.)

any ideas?

What connection do you have and how many concurrent users? Are there any must-have software that the router should support (VPN protocols, IDS, BGP, OSPF, redundant power supplies etc)?

And most importantly, what's your budget? Otherwise I could just recommend a Mikrotik CCR2004 or something from Cisco and call it a day 😛

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

19 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

What connection do you have and how many concurrent users? Are there any must-have software that the router should support (VPN protocols, IDS, BGP, OSPF, redundant power supplies etc)?

And most importantly, what's your budget? Otherwise I could just recommend a Mikrotik CCR2004 or something from Cisco and call it a day 😛

well, it's just homelab use. connection from ISP is trash. concurrent users is 1 (lol)

only VPN i have is a PPTP for my home servers. redundancy is a non-issue for me. no BGP, IDS or other fancy stuff.

honestly, the RB2011 is still fine for my needs, i just wish it had a 10G port 😞

my budget is flexible. if the router is worth it, i am fine with spending more, but otherwise i would prefer to stay under 250 euro's.

Why not just use 1G SFP? The 10G ports are dual speed so they do 1G or 10G depending on the SFP.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Why not just use 1G SFP? The 10G ports are dual speed so they do 1G or 10G depending on the SFP.

that's the problem i outlined in my OP. i use flexoptics SFP (DAC in this case) which are not vendor-specific and can be flashed accordingly, but for juniper EX they only support 10G speeds.

long story short, i'm using this as an excuse to get 10G in my house.

Just now, RollinLower said:

that's the problem i outlined in my OP. i use flexoptics SFP (DAC in this case) which are not vendor-specific and can be flashed accordingly, but for juniper EX they only support 10G speeds.

long story short, i'm using this as an excuse to get 10G in my house.

Ah, ok, I saw you said you flashed it to 1G but wasn't sure. I mean any excuse for more 10G is a plus 😛

In my searches any 1RU router with a 10G port is going to be a bit above the listed budget unless I missed something or you're willing to look at a pfSense/untangle/openSense or similar setup, so might be better to just buy a couple new SFPs for now.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Ah, ok, I saw you said you flashed it to 1G but wasn't sure. I mean any excuse for more 10G is a plus 😛

In my searches any 1RU router with a 10G port is going to be a bit above the listed budget unless I missed something or you're willing to look at a pfSense/untangle/openSense or similar setup, so might be better to just buy a couple new SFPs for now.

RB4011iGS+RM, looks like the ticket, but it's a shame it isn't really 1U with the rackmount. i'm still open for other suggestions though, kinda curious to try other brands than Mikrotik for once.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwi74reOyYvyAhXxEnsKHZvdD60YABAXGgJsZQ&sig=AOD64_3ZYyRVeflzvPavYYvc-X2Kd6mj6w&adurl&ctype=5&ved=2ahUKEwj69qqOyYvyAhVgyrsIHQChDNUQvhd6BAgBEGk

Just now, RollinLower said:

RB4011iGS+RM, looks like the ticket, but it's a shame it isn't really 1U with the rackmount. i'm still open for other suggestions though, kinda curious to try other brands than Mikrotik for once.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwi74reOyYvyAhXxEnsKHZvdD60YABAXGgJsZQ&sig=AOD64_3ZYyRVeflzvPavYYvc-X2Kd6mj6w&adurl&ctype=5&ved=2ahUKEwj69qqOyYvyAhVgyrsIHQChDNUQvhd6BAgBEGk

Yah, that's what got me thinking about a compact 1RU server running pfSense or similar since that does give you some good options too in the virtual or white box realm.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: