CPU thermal throttling not working

My Ryzen 5 3600 seems to not thermal throttle properly. I put an OC and when I ran cinebench, the temps (according to HW monitor) were 104-105 C.

I did downclock it, but this kind of got me concerned

8 minutes ago, Sriyashas said:

My Ryzen 5 3600 seems to not thermal throttle properly. I put an OC and when I ran cinebench, the temps (according to HW monitor) were 104-105 C.

I did downclock it, but this kind of got me concerned

Thermal throttling doesn't mean it absolutely won't reach those temperatures. It means it will slow down (significantly) in order to try and keep a reasonable temperature. 105 C is not good though. My first thought is improper cooler mounting. What cooler do you have and is it mounted properly?

Actually, since you mention OC, what are your stock temperatures? You may be pushing way to much voltage on your overclock.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

22 minutes ago, tikker said:

Thermal throttling doesn't mean it absolutely won't reach those temperatures. It means it will slow down (significantly) in order to try and keep a reasonable temperature. 105 C is not good though. My first thought is improper cooler mounting. What cooler do you have and is it mounted properly?

Actually, since you mention OC, what are your stock temperatures? You may be pushing way to much voltage on your overclock.

That and sometimes oc's make the throttling not function correctly (depending on the board) and you end up in situations like these were it just is not allowed to clock lower due to the oc interfering.

26 minutes ago, tikker said:

let me check the cooler once

I hope your not overclocking that CPU on the junk stock cooler it comes with. 

I wouldn't even waste my time trying to overclock a 3600 CPU 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x