Can i damage my phone by using it to much since it is getting hot?

kaylexmorgana

I have a new phone note 20 ultra. I moved to some rural thirdworld shithole city in a redstate with no internet. 

So right now i am using my phone as a hotspot 24/7 and it gets hot and when i play a game on the phone or use it while doing that it gets even hotter. 

When i was testing it and DL stuff on steam for about 30min to an hour it felt like it was on fire and i stopped.

I heard if your phone is always hot it can damage it. Can it damage mine?

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

In general, heat can destroy any electronic device!

In short, yes, this will degrade your phone quicker over time.

~~~ MY RECENTLY UPDATED RIG ~~~

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700

MOBO: ASUS Prime B450M-A

GPU: ASUS RX580 Dual 8 GB

RAM: 4 x 8GB Team T-Force Vulcan 2666Mhz

Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro RGB

PSU: Silverstone 80+ Platinum 750W Fully Modular

Case: Cougar Panzer Dual Tempered Glass

Storage: Samsung 840 500GB 2.5" SSD

Storage: SanDisk 240GB 2.5" SSD

Storage: LiteON 240 GB 2.5" SSD

Storage: Toshiba 3TB 7200rpm 3.5" HDD

PC Part Picker list:

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/4bH3V6

No, Unless it goes to over 70c nothing will happen to it. And if it does then your phone will automatically shut down to prevent overheating. Also I  have a Moto  X force which had the infamous Snapdragon 810 and it always overheated because of it but nothing has happened to it.

3 minutes ago, WickedThunder86 said:

No, Unless it goes to over 70c nothing will happen to it. And if it does then your phone will automatically shut down to prevent overheating. Also I  have a Moto  X force which had the infamous Snapdragon 810 and it always overheated because of it but nothing has happened to it.

ok so i downloaded 2 apps to check temperature. Downloading on steam and warframe right now it is sitting at a little under 50c. When i first DL i saw 60c for 1 sec then go down. 

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

1 hour ago, kaylexmorgana said:

ok so i downloaded 2 apps to check temperature. Downloading on steam and warframe right now it is sitting at a little under 50c. When i first DL i saw 60c for 1 sec then go down. 

Do you have the Exynos Variant? If yes, Then those temperatures are expected. Snapdragon runs a billion times cooler than it.

45 minutes ago, WickedThunder86 said:

Do you have the Exynos Variant? If yes, Then those temperatures are expected. Snapdragon runs a billion times cooler than it.

uh exynos variant?

3 minutes ago, kaylexmorgana said:

uh exynos variant?

Sorry, I can't understand what you meant.

2 minutes ago, WickedThunder86 said:

Sorry, I can't understand what you meant.

i don't know what exynos variant is

Just now, kaylexmorgana said:

i don't know what exynos variant is

Samsung sells two variants of their flgaships phones with different processors for Different parts of the world.

China,North America, South Korea:- Snapdragon

Everywhere else:- Exynos

Some time ago Exynos used eg. Galaxy Note 8. Used to be much better and it crushed the Snapdragon Variant but now tables have turned and Snapdragon  is much better

Exynos sufferes from:- worse battery life, Worse Camera Performance, Worse GPU performance, Excessive Overheating. To check which cpu you have Download CPU-Z From play store and see which cpu you have.

10 minutes ago, WickedThunder86 said:

Samsung sells two variants of their flgaships phones with different processors for Different parts of the world.

China,North America, South Korea:- Snapdragon

Everywhere else:- Exynos

Some time ago Exynos used eg. Galaxy Note 8. Used to be much better and it crushed the Snapdragon Variant but now tables have turned and Snapdragon  is much better

Exynos sufferes from:- worse battery life, Worse Camera Performance, Worse GPU performance, Excessive Overheating. To check which cpu you have Download CPU-Z From play store and see which cpu you have.

it says snapdragon

13 minutes ago, kaylexmorgana said:

it says snapdragon

Then you are fine. Heating is expected if you use it as a AP point 24/7. A way to tackle it would be to dip a small towel in water and squeeze it so it doesn't drip and then wrap your phone in it. I used this technique when I used my Moto X force to play games.

Dude, just water cool it

I'm mostly kidding. The heat's probably somewhat bad, but I doubt it will shorten the lifespan a noticable amount. The Note 20 ultra is metal and glass, so the case is part of the heat disipation plan for the device. 

Setting it on something cool, or something metal could help. But all metal phones get hot and if your phone gets dangerously hot it'll just shut off. Until that starts happening, I wouldn't worry about it.

8 hours ago, maplepants said:

Dude, just water cool it

I'm mostly kidding. The heat's probably somewhat bad, but I doubt it will shorten the lifespan a noticable amount. The Note 20 ultra is metal and glass, so the case is part of the heat disipation plan for the device. 

Setting it on something cool, or something metal could help. But all metal phones get hot and if your phone gets dangerously hot it'll just shut off. Until that starts happening, I wouldn't worry about it.

This^^, it’s not really a problem for the chip to get hot although constant use may degrade battery life quicker although not in any significant way I would imagine

I would set the phone down on something cool like a bag of water that you left in the fridge and point a fan at it if you are really that concerned

Like any modern processor, it’ll throttle performance to keep within tolerances so the cooling is more for your peace of mind and possibly performance then anything else