4k Video editing laptop 2021

bhoot001
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
1 minute ago, bhoot001 said:

Also I found a Asus ROG ryzen 7 5800H with QHD screen and 3070 8gb and it's 200$ cheaper but question is the 4k screen. How big is the practical difference in editing 4k on QHD screen ?

Editing wise, it likely won't matter. The preview is normally not 1:1 anyways as its in the windows. And If you need to do color accurate work, get a external display. So I don't see a issue with a qhd panel.

Budget (including currency): 2300 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: it will be strictly for photo and video editing in 4k. I will be using capture one 21 and affinity photo for photo editing. DaVinci resolve for video editing.

I was looking at gigabyte aero 15 OLED with 3060 graphics card but not sure if 3060 will be future proof enough for 4k editing and I am changing my laptop after 7yrs so hoping to last it atleast the same time.

What codecs are you using? What effects are you using?

I have editied 4k on much slower systems, so for almost all uses, a 3060 will be more than plenty.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What codecs are you using? What effects are you using?

I have editied 4k on much slower systems, so for almost all uses, a 3060 will be more than plenty.

Apple prores and H.265 as well as H.264 and regarding effects DR17 studio edition is well equipped is really nice effects so stick to those. 

I made this sample parts list and it leaves quite a lot of room for a decent graphics card

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/qmLqt8

If you're concerned about having enough vram and a more powerful GPU, you might want to consider an RX 6800.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Apple prores and H.265 as well as H.264 and regarding effects DR17 studio edition is well equipped is really nice effects so stick to those. 

Yea should work fine. Studio + rtx 3xxx chips will do almost all h.265 decoding in hardware so it should be smooth. I don't see the gpu causing any issues here.

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I made this sample parts list and it leaves quite a lot of room for a decent graphics card

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/qmLqt8

If you're concerned about having enough vram and a more powerful GPU, you might want to consider an RX 6800.

I'm looking specifically for a laptop so I can edit and work on the go. I built a 4k system last year and it's a powerhouse but unfortunately cannot take it across country while traveling

2 minutes ago, bhoot001 said:

I'm looking specifically for a laptop so I can edit and work on the go. I built a 4k system last year and it's a powerhouse but unfortunately cannot take it across country while traveling

Oops lol.

For on-the-go editing I don't think you'd suffer much with that 3060. It has a lot of ram, and the power budget is more modest compared to high end options so the battery life would be a bit more favorable.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea should work fine. Studio + rtx 3xxx chips will do almost all h.265 decoding in hardware so it should be smooth. I don't see the gpu causing any issues here.

Also I found a Asus ROG ryzen 7 5800H with QHD screen and 3070 8gb and it's 200$ cheaper but question is the 4k screen. How big is the practical difference in editing 4k on QHD screen ?

Editing wise, it likely won't matter. The preview is normally not 1:1 anyways as its in the windows. And If you need to do color accurate work, get a external display. So I don't see a issue with a qhd panel.

A laptop with a 4k display isn't worth it in most scenarios. The screen is already so small that you can't really tell the difference between 1440 and 4k.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

See that's where the issue comes in because I won't be able to take external display with me esp on the go. Gigabyte aero is offers 100 color gamut but I was concerned regarding the 3060. Since you cleared that out it helps a lot thank you.

Just now, bhoot001 said:

See that's where the issue comes in because I won't be able to take external display with me esp on the go. Gigabyte aero is offers 100 color gamut but I was concerned regarding the 3060. Since you cleared that out it helps a lot thank you.

How much color work do you need to do on the go? For most editing and basic color work, any of these displays will be fine, but if you need color accurate displays you really want a external display. Id just get the 1440p display laptop here.

How much color work do you need to do on the go? For most editing and basic color work, any of these displays will be fine, but if you need color accurate displays you really want a external display. Id just get the 1440p display laptop here.

Oh okay would you be able to recommend couple of options for the price range?

So I can compare and will be able to pick correctly.

My older Aero 17 HDR XA ( i9, 2070 )does a good job of 4k Da Vinci editing and rendering.

The 17" is good enough for 4k. You can hook up an external display if you need.

Pretty rugged.

My only complaint is that the power supply is not really up to the task of feeding the CPU and GPU.

You hit power limits way before temp. It's good at cooling, but loud at high load. Silent normally.

Budget wise, probably not.