wifi 6 or 2.5 gbe?

defective-hyperdrive

Is your internet speed actually over 1 Gbit/s? If not, you don't need more than 1 Gbit/s.

Also real world wifi speeds are much lower than advertised. Even if wifi were faster than ethernet, the latency and stability would be much worse.

My boring Github   /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Unless you've got internet providing Gigabit (1000mbps) or higher speeds, you don't need anything above Gigabit Ethernet for gaming on a LAN unless you've got a NAS feeding computers on the LAN with 4K movies and shows. 2.5gbps, 5gbps & 10gbps Ethernet in the home & prosumer markets is mostly used for dumping data across the LAN to/from a NAS for mass storage of movies & shows for those who've spent the time and money on such a setup.

Keep in mind we've had Gigabit Ethernet hardware for home networks for about 20 years (I remember having to install drivers for the Gigabit Ethernet NICs in PC's I built at home with Win2000 & XP), and it's been enough for most 'home gamers' since then.

I mean I've got 200/50mbps 4G Mobile Broadband as my home internet and the 2.4GHz/5GHz dual-band wireless the modem-router has along with the 1gbps Ethernet is more than enough to service my LAN (desktop, iMac, MacBook, phone, tablet, PS3 Phat, PS3 Super Slim, PS4 Launch, PS4 Pro, XB1S, Vita 110x's, VitaTV/PSTV, 3DS's...)

Keep in mind that both technologies are downward compatible. You don’t need to run and buy 2.5G hardware, you can just connect it to your existing setup and it will work fine. 

I would prefer wired over wireless, but both will work if all you do is some streaming / browsing / gaming