Ryzen 5 3600 Temperature Spiking

Go to solution Solved by Mark Kaine,
46 minutes ago, Ballisticc said:

ok so i undervolted it and im getting pretty much the same results, but at higher degrees this time? the lowest its hitting is 51 Celsius 

Thats the thing, they recently changed this in afterburner, looks way worse than it actually is, and these spikes are indeed completely normal 

1 hour ago, Ballisticc said:

Does your PC ever freeze up?

Does yours?

ok yeah took me a bit longer than 15 minutes but the thermal paste is still pastey and hasn't dried up at all so i dont think thats the issue.

Did you replace the thermal paste after doing this? Thats absolutely necessary, because of possible air bubbles, etc.

Thats probably why you see higher temps now.

here, its absolutely normal,it jumps between 35 and 48C *all the time* and thats with a push pull noctua cooler - max temp during C23 is 71C btw…

20210726_133649.thumb.jpg.f759883cbbf5c87e370e74f1fed9d80d.jpg

It only stops doing that when its under load (running C23 here)

20210726_134233.thumb.jpg.d0ec6cfbb5fa80775d216eaebb014f2f.jpg

Just replace your thermal paste if you didnt already.

So I built my PC around march and up until recently (the last two months) I haven't had a single problem, about 2 months ago my pc started freezing and I have to hard power it off every time it does it (it doesnt respond to ctrl+alt+del or anything else).

So next I took a look at MSI Afterburner, and noticed that every few seconds my CPU would jump from 42 Celsius to 68 Celsius, despite not having any load and only about 9% usage.

Can anyone help me fix this, its getting pretty annoying at this point. Here is a small snip from MSI Afterburner.    1666277793_cpupeak.PNG.4477d425ff418cfb49d103a1cf735f36.PNG

To fix it so far at this point I've disabled boosting and that's fixed the problem but its impacting my performance a bit.

Cheers,

Ballisticc

The seesaw temp thing is normal for Ryzen based CPUs idle, but not by this much usually.

Have ambient temps increased in your area by any chance? Temps could be hitting substantially higher and no time for afterburner to report at the point of crashing.

Would suggest using AMD Ryzen Master or HWmonitor to keep an eye on CPU temps, some apps don't seem to report temps properly on Ryzen (unless this is less of a problem now, but it used to be the case).

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

7 minutes ago, Ballisticc said:

So I built my PC around march and up until recently (the last two months) I haven't had a single problem, about 2 months ago my pc started freezing and I have to hard power it off every time it does it (it doesnt respond to ctrl+alt+del or anything else).

So next I took a look at MSI Afterburner, and noticed that every few seconds my CPU would jump from 42 Celsius to 68 Celsius, despite not having any load and only about 9% usage.

Can anyone help me fix this, its getting pretty annoying at this point. Here is a small snip from MSI Afterburner.    1666277793_cpupeak.PNG.4477d425ff418cfb49d103a1cf735f36.PNG

To fix it so far at this point I've disabled boosting and that's fixed the problem but its impacting my performance a bit.

Cheers,

Ballisticc

pretty normal for ryzen. thats just its algorithm. my 5800x does the same thing

5 minutes ago, Lyrix_m said:

pretty normal for ryzen. thats just its algorithm. my 5800x does the same thing

Agreed normal, the crash thing is unrelated to this behavior.

@Ballisticc What cooler are you using, and are you able to check thermal paste and re-paste if need be? My theory is at the moment, it was cooler when you built a couple months ago, could have been running warm, now it's (possibly) summer where you are, ambient temp has increased and there are scenarios where you're ending up over tjunction.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted

8 minutes ago, cacoe said:

Agreed normal, the crash thing is unrelated to this behavior.

@Ballisticc What cooler are you using, and are you able to check thermal paste and re-paste if need be? My theory is at the moment, it was cooler when you built a couple months ago, could have been running warm, now it's (possibly) summer where you are, ambient temp has increased and there are scenarios where you're ending up over tjunction.

Its actually winter in Australia so I don't think ambient temps are a real problem, im using the stock ryzen cooler an ill check thermal paste now just give me a second (by a second i mean like, 15 20 minutes)

Memory compatibility could also be an issue. I bought some 2400Mhz Avexir Core Red RAM and windows go to blue screen once in a while, it got so bad it corrupted some of the data windows have and the blue screen happens everytime I start windows to the point I am forced to install a new windows. I just changed my RAM to the ones recommended in QVL of my motherboard and the bluescreen doesn't happen anymore. Try checking the QVL of your motherboard and see if the RAM you're using are the compatible ones. In my case the ram with the lowest speed in the QVL is 2666MHz while I used 2400MHz ones. Try sticking to RAM on the QVL if possible. If you use RAM outside of QVL, it is a lottery. Either it works or it doesn't.

Just now, Ballisticc said:

Its actually winter in Australia so I don't think ambient temps are a real problem, im using the stock ryzen cooler an ill check thermal paste now just give me a second (by a second i mean like, 15 20 minutes)

Well that certainly put a dampener on my theory 😅

Deffo still worth checking this, sometimes it just doesn't work out particularly well, no fault of your own.

BTW, if you used the stock thermal paste and have trouble removing the cooler (as I and many others have in the past) run your system a bit to warm it up, should come off easier.

31 minutes ago, cacoe said:

Well that certainly put a dampener on my theory 😅

Deffo still worth checking this, sometimes it just doesn't work out particularly well, no fault of your own.

BTW, if you used the stock thermal paste and have trouble removing the cooler (as I and many others have in the past) run your system a bit to warm it up, should come off easier.

ok yeah took me a bit longer than 15 minutes but the thermal paste is still pastey and hasn't dried up at all so i dont think thats the issue.

And yeah my cooler cam off fine, didnt glue to it or anything which is surprising.

35 minutes ago, Kato Boi said:

Memory compatibility could also be an issue. I bought some 2400Mhz Avexir Core Red RAM and windows go to blue screen once in a while, it got so bad it corrupted some of the data windows have and the blue screen happens everytime I start windows to the point I am forced to install a new windows. I just changed my RAM to the ones recommended in QVL of my motherboard and the bluescreen doesn't happen anymore. Try checking the QVL of your motherboard and see if the RAM you're using are the compatible ones. In my case the ram with the lowest speed in the QVL is 2666MHz while I used 2400MHz ones. Try sticking to RAM on the QVL if possible. If you use RAM outside of QVL, it is a lottery. Either it works or it doesn't.

I have the Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz kit (2x8GB) so I dont think memory compatibility is an issue as it is indeed on their QVL

Totally normal for a stock cooler with typical Ryzen behaviour.

A better cooler is option 1, option 2 is to set a negative offset voltage in bios, somewhere between -0.020 and -0.050. That will drop the spike voltage while maintaining performance in most cases. 

1 minute ago, glenalz81 said:

Totally normal for a stock cooler with typical Ryzen behaviour.

A better cooler is option 1, option 2 is to set a negative offset voltage in bios, somewhere between -0.020 and -0.050. That will drop the spike voltage while maintaining performance in most cases. 

I'll try setting a negative offset voltage and get back to you about how it goes

10 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

This is my 3800x on a 360 aio, just browsing/YT etc.

3800x.JPG

26 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

This is my 3800x on a 360 aio, just browsing/YT etc.

3800x.JPG

ok so i undervolted it and im getting pretty much the same results, but at higher degrees this time? the lowest its hitting is 51 Celsius 

46 minutes ago, Ballisticc said:

Thats the thing, they recently changed this in afterburner, looks way worse than it actually is, and these spikes are indeed completely normal 

Does yours?

Did you replace the thermal paste after doing this? Thats absolutely necessary, because of possible air bubbles, etc.

Thats probably why you see higher temps now.

here, its absolutely normal,it jumps between 35 and 48C *all the time* and thats with a push pull noctua cooler - max temp during C23 is 71C btw…

20210726_133649.thumb.jpg.f759883cbbf5c87e370e74f1fed9d80d.jpg

It only stops doing that when its under load (running C23 here)

20210726_134233.thumb.jpg.d0ec6cfbb5fa80775d216eaebb014f2f.jpg

Just replace your thermal paste if you didnt already.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

57 minutes ago, Ballisticc said:

No, never.

42 minutes ago, Ballisticc said:

ok so i undervolted it and im getting pretty much the same results, but at higher degrees this time?

That is weird indeed.

If you had the cooler off and never replaced the paste that is a bit of a faux pas.

1 hour ago, glenalz81 said:

No, never.

That is weird indeed.

If you had the cooler off and never replaced the paste that is a bit of a faux pas.

yeah looking back i defo should have replaced the thermal paste with some of the kryonaut I have on hand, or just some noctua paste, will do that later.

But yeah my pc will freeze up and ill have to hard power it off (which pains me) and start it back up, it does this regularly so im not really sure what its about but i know its not a good thing.

9 minutes ago, Ballisticc said:

But yeah my pc will freeze up and ill have to hard power it off (which pains me) and start it back up, it does this regularly so im not really sure what its about but i know its not a good thing.

Ah, i see now, well that got nothing to do with the normal temp spikes at all.

Are you on latest BIOS and chipset drivers? Windows  up to date?

If not do that, if yes, reset cmos, dont change anything excpt maybe XMP, then set "windows balanced powerplan" to minimum processor state "85%" and maximum processor state "100%" 

Also full specs would help as that is apparently an issue  with your system and *not* necessarily with the cpu directly.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Memory is the first place i'd look with that sort of behaviour. If it's Corsair LPX you're using then it's a crapshoot at the best of times.

25 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

If it's Corsair LPX you're using then it's a crapshoot at the best of times

True… 

Memtest would have been my next suggestion, but bios , specs, etc also play a role obviously.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

My full specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

COOLER: Stock AMD Cooler

MOBO: Aorus Pro B450

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB @ 3600Mhz

GPU: ASUS TUF 1650 OC

PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750W

And I've done some testing and noticed that in Ryzen Master my temperature is much more stable, and with the undervolt of -0.036 its essentially stopped the freezing issue I had before, albeit that still not being a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

@Ballisticc

Were you having spikes while gaming also ?

I had similar issue - i was playing NFS heat and i noticed my temp was 81'C and then inmediately dropped to 71'C and it continued to stay at 71'C.

It was just a one time thing since i ussually get 67-70'C while gaming.