Should I update BIOS?

Iphone4

Recently finished my build:

Specs: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x

MB: B450-f Rog Strix Gaming-II

PSU: Seasonic 650w 80+ gold

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB (16gb, 2x8, 3200mhz)

Storage: M.2 NVMe sn550 (WD Blue, 500gb)

Case: Corsair 4000D

GPU: GTX 1650 (for the moment, planning to upgrade when prices come down)

I thought I was gonna have to update the MB bios to support Ryzen 5000 series but it said on the box it was already 5000 gen ready. I went ahead and did the full build, after checking the BIOS version, its from december 2020, there is a new version that came out 30th June, should I update the BIOS? Is it useless or are there benefits?. I was thinking maybe it was a good idea to update since the current BIOS version came around the same time as the Ryzen 5000 series launched, but im not so sure so im here.

4 minutes ago, Iphone4 said:

Recently finished my build:

Specs: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x

MB: B450-f Rog Strix Gaming-II

PSU: Seasonic 650w 80+ gold

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB (16gb, 2x8, 3200mhz)

Storage: M.2 NVMe sn550 (WD Blue, 500gb)

Case: Corsair 4000D

GPU: GTX 1650 (for the moment, planning to upgrade when prices come down)

I thought I was gonna have to update the MB bios to support Ryzen 5000 series but it said on the box it was already 5000 gen ready. I went ahead and did the full build, after checking the BIOS version, its from december 2020, there is a new version that came out 30th June, should I update the BIOS? Is it useless or are there benefits?. I was thinking maybe it was a good idea to update since the current BIOS version came around the same time as the Ryzen 5000 series launched, but im not so sure so im here.

If your system is working and stable right now, I would leave the BIOS alone. The only time I would update the BIOS is if the update will fix any instabilities currently being experienced or critical security vulnerabilities. 

Although updating the BIOS is easier than it has ever been, it still comes with its own risks. Something simple as your PC loosing power for a split second during the update could brick the board. And while that will probably happen once in a blue moon, you'll be kicking yourself to no end if it does happen. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

If your system is working and stable right now, I would leave the BIOS alone. The only time I would update the BIOS is if the update will fix any instabilities currently being experienced or critical security vulnerabilities. 

Although updating the BIOS is easier than it has ever been, it still comes with its own risks. Something simple as your PC loosing power for a split second during the update could brick the board. And while that will probably happen once in a blue moon, you'll be kicking yourself to no end if it does happen. 

This! 
there is an old saying that goes "if it isn't broke, don't fix it!" especially if you haven't updated firmwares before. 

read the patch notes. if they apply to you, then update. 
if the patch notes don't fix an issue that you have, leave it be. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

6 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

This! 
there is an old saying that goes "if it isn't broke, don't fix it!" especially if you haven't updated firmwares before. 

read the patch notes. if they apply to you, then update. 
if the patch notes don't fix an issue that you have, leave it be. 

Yea. I think the only time I've actually updated the BIOS is sort of a last resort troubleshooting step. I have had instances in the past where I had machines returned with odd issues such as the trackpad behaving erratically even in the BIOS setup menu, and a simple BIOS update resolved it. Nothing to do with the update notes, I think the firmware was just corrupted a bit. But yea, not something I would do just for the heck of it.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

8 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

The only caveat I would add is if your having trouble getting DOCP/XMP working at 3200 for your RAM kit then take a look at the release notes. Sometimes earlier BIOSes for new Ryzen chips struggled to support higher RAM speeds but these seem to have gotten better and better from Zen 2 to 3

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

36 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

My MB has BIOS flashback button, wont that save me from a bricked MB?

Update notes just say:
ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING BIOS 4402
"1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.3 Patch A
2. Improve system stability"

I dont even know what that means, but system has been weird, temps I believe are on the higher side (stock cooler though) and monitor I have been using in my previous build is now presenting some weird issues (random dimming, searched for solutions but couldnt find anything to fix it), I was hoping for some "Bios update magic" and well, if I can get better performance out of the system then why not?