Dual channel with 3 sticks of RAM?

My computer has 16 GB of memory with 2x8 sticks. I was just given a single stick of 16 GB.

Could I put the 2x8GB sticks together on the first channel and the 1x16 stick on the other, and get all the benefits of dual channel memory but no drawbacks of mixing and matching sticks?

Adding a third stick doesn't affect it being dual channel still, but there may be other issues. It depends on the RAM configuration involved. Do they have the same clockspeed and timings as your current RAM? What's the brands and models?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Here is a very similar thread. I see no harm in trying. Benchmark it and if you lose performance then you can take it out.

2x8 is already dual channel and consumer cpus to this day sounds like it wont go further than dual channel, so adding a 16GB might have an improvement for some workloads but the pc will still run in dual channel. Keep in mind that mixing ram is a little bit of a gamble so make sure it's a fairly identical stick by specs.
For most of the times you wont notice any difference at all.

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

I'm not sure Dual Channel Asymmetric mode is still a thing anymore. It might be though.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

since starting this thread, I have downloaded CPU-Z and I can cinfirm that it runs in dual channel. furthermore, all the sticks run at 2666MHz and I don't know how I would find out anything else about the kits. anyway, doesn't it always default to the slowest of anythings? and so mixing and matching would just mean that I lose performance...

The new RAM stick is corsair vengeance and the two old ones are crucial... I don't remember and don't feel like opening up my computer again to see... but they don't have a heat spreader