Gaming monitor ghosting as soon as I enable FreeSync

Hello guys

A week ago I bought the VG242YPbmiipx / VG242YP gaming monitor and noticed that the monitor starts ghosting as soon as I enable AMD Freesync in the OSD. It's especially bad when scrolling through an article which as a white background and black text because I get these black smears.

The weird thing about this is that I don't get any ghosting when Freesync is OFF. According to the OSD all settings like the Overdrive function stay the same (overdrive: set to normal) and only freesync is being changed.

Overdrive set to normal and Freesync off => no ghosting, no smears, all good

Freesync on (sets overdrive to normal) => Ghosting issues and black smears

Overdrive set to extreme no freesync => Ghosting issues and black smears

Here are some technical infos about my system:

Monitor Refresh rate: I'm running it on 165Hz but the problem is present at 144Hz as well

GPU: MSI Radeon RX 470 Gaming X 4G

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Mobo: MSI Tomahawk MAX

RAM: 16GB 3200Mhz DDR4

Cable: Display Port 1.2

AMD driver version: 21.6.2

I suspect that the monitor enables the extreme overdrive mode without actually showing it but since it greys out the OD function while freesync is on, I can't do anything against it.

Is there any fix for this issue? Or do I have to return it? Freesync / Freesync Premium should not cause this problem afaik

comparison.jpg

Does the issue persist with overdrive and VBR disabled?

1 hour ago, soundlogic said:

Does the issue persist with overdrive and VBR disabled?

I can't disable or change the overdrive setting while Freesync is on (option is greyed out). VRB is disabled because I barely use it because the image is just too dark.

Similar issue with Gsync (but its actually a freesync monitor) 

Do you use a DP cable? 

Because for me this issue gets fixed as soon I use a HDMI cable… which disables "Gsync" anyhow.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Similar issue with Gsync (but its actually a freesync monitor) 

Do you use a DP cable? 

Because for me this issue gets fixed as soon I use a HDMI cable… which disables "Gsync" anyhow.

I tried using HDMI and DP and in both scenarios the promel still exists.

Also I dont want to disable Freesync, I just want to get rid of the inverse ghosting while freesync is on.

25 minutes ago, PSPlover said:

I tried using HDMI and DP and in both scenarios the promel still exists.

Also I dont want to disable Freesync, I just want to get rid of the inverse ghosting while freesync is on.

I see, interesting i was kinda expecting it to be a DP cable issue, which it may be in my case… well i havent found a solution yet, but after lots of testing its either the monitor , the cable or the drivers, definitely something with gsync, because turning that off makes it a lot better, still slightly stuttery unless I use HDMI 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Some monitor models disable overdrive settings when enabling freesync, of those displays some unfortunately default to a overdrive setting that adds to much overshoot, like the one you have. (The OD may show 'normal' whilst greyed out, but its not)

There is no work around here. Its part of the firmware.

If u want freesync without this kind of overshoot, im afraid ull have to pick a different display that doesnt have this kind of setup.

FYI: what ur seeing in the image is 'overshoot' ,aka Inverse Ghosting ,not ghosting/black smearing. Its the result of overdrive being set to high and the pixel overshooting their intended luminance, hence the 'light' trail, rather than a 'dark' trail caused by pixels being to slow.

https://blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-overdrive-artifacts/

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |