Looking for the best 27" 1440p High Refreshrate IPS Monitor

Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,

The best monitors that have the features you want are the LG 27GP850-B and the MSI MAG 274QRF-QD. Both are mostly sold around $400-$450. Both come with excellent D65-P3 coverage, but the MSI also covers full AdobeRGB, which may be a factor to consider for photo editing, but is unimportant elsewhere. Other than that, the LG is slightly faster, but the MSI has slightly better contrast, but the MSI misses a proper sRGB mode, so most of your content will be oversaturated.

About your expectation on HDR:

Don't expect anything of their HDR support. Real HDR monitors start at >$1500. Most HDR monitors can accept an HDR input signal, but that's about it. I could go on about this forever. But realistically there is no real HDR monitor under $1500. So don't make your decision based on HDR support. It's useless in most monitors anyway and is only on the box for marketing reasons. Just like the infamous "1ms" spec.

I'm looking for a monitor that will be mostly used for gaming / work.

Currently I have a very cheap 144Hz 27" 1080p monitor and I'm all around not happy with it at all, so now that I have some money to spare I am looking for a replacement.

I would like another 27" monitor so I can use the old one as secondary one and because that way I can have the monitor further away from me and at that size 1080p just does not look nice anymore.

Since I like to play competitive games (Rocket League, R6:Siege, Valorant..) I cannot live without my high refresh rate anymore, but I don't really care if its 120Hz, 144Hz or 160Hz, G-Sync Compatible would also be great.

Lastly the monitor should also have good color accuracy and contrast (HDR?) for the visually appealing Games and Movies. So bottom line it should be somewhat of an allrounder for around 300-450€ but I'm willing to spend more if it checks all my boxes.

So far I've had my eye on a couple of monitors, all come with their downsides:

LG 27GN800-B -I can live without the "gamery" Design but its not a dealbreaker, I've read very different things about the contrast from one review (sample) to the other,

BenQ EX2780q -Basic stand, Can't find anything about G-Sync compatibility

ViewSonic XG2705-2K -no HDR, no reference to G-Sync

Viewsonic XG270 - A bit more pricey but seems to check all my boxes

Which ones of these (or any other) would you reccomend for my needs

Thank you in Advance

Kind Regards

Minaj

Are you looking to upgrade from 1080p to 1440p? Because Viewsonic XG270 is 1080p.

I don't think there's any decent HDR on 1440p monitors, HDR still needs more time to catch up.

Generally IPS panels have mediocre contrast ratio compared to VA, but given you play competitive games and wanting good colour accuracy I suppose IPS still suits you more. The closest monitor for you might be Samsung Odyssey G7 as it has fast response time and decent contrast ratio. Although colour accuracy and viewing angle would be worse than average IPS panel it is still an improvement over TN. The major downside is 1000R curve which may be annoying when using for work.

Some more monitor recommendations: LG 27GP850, Dell S2721DGF

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

The best monitors that have the features you want are the LG 27GP850-B and the MSI MAG 274QRF-QD. Both are mostly sold around $400-$450. Both come with excellent D65-P3 coverage, but the MSI also covers full AdobeRGB, which may be a factor to consider for photo editing, but is unimportant elsewhere. Other than that, the LG is slightly faster, but the MSI has slightly better contrast, but the MSI misses a proper sRGB mode, so most of your content will be oversaturated.

Don't expect anything of their HDR support. Real HDR monitors start at >$1500. Most HDR monitors can accept an HDR input signal, but that's about it. I could go on about this forever. But realistically there is no real HDR monitor under $1500. So don't make your decision based on HDR support. It's useless in most monitors anyway and is only on the box for marketing reasons. Just like the infamous "1ms" spec.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

😅

Are you looking to upgrade from 1080p to 1440p? Because Viewsonic XG270 is 1080p.

Yes, thats my mistake.

21 minutes ago, BuzzingBee said:

I don't think there's any decent HDR on 1440p monitors, HDR still needs more time to catch up.

12 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Okay I understand, I'm not ready to spend quite that much yet and the resolution is much more important to me.

21 minutes ago, BuzzingBee said:

Samsung Odyssey G7

I've read good things about this monitor, but never cared to check if there is a 27" model😅, I dont really like the curve on 16:9 Monitors, as you said

23 minutes ago, BuzzingBee said:

LG 27GP850, Dell S2721DGF

14 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

LG 27GP850-B and the MSI MAG 274QRF-QD

For me its between the Dell (was not on my radar so far) and the LG then. I will compare the two and decide.

Thank you both for your fast and informative responses, you have helped out tremendously!