Community’s opinion on security.

Virulent16

So I’ve been watching Linus’ content one way or another for a long time now. Always lurked in the community and decided to join it now, and want to start off with a question.

With all the tech that is talked about, and the wide variety of brands, what’s the view on security?
Having so many different devices and companies, collecting data, (Microsoft, Apple, Google, Samsung, etc.) is something I never really hear LTT videos or community’s  talk about. 

Security or privacy?

Either way, I do as much as I can that doesn't greatly affect my user experience. For example, I turn off all the data collection I am able to in my Google account and have auto deletion of my browsing history and such, but I still use Google services (including an Android phone and Chrome). I use Discord but don't post any super identifiable information on it (more for fear of people in servers getting it but still aware that Discord can easily save it).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Not sure exactly what you mean.

The community isn't a monolith and won't have a singular opinion on security.  

Avoiding data collection would be nice, but most of the time that fight was already lost, when you purchased a phone or opened an email account.  Besides the big tech companies other businesses are selling your data too.  The DMV of many states sell your data.  If you buy a car, the auto dealership sells a lot of your data as well.  As for security on your end you can do things like enable 2 factor identification, use different passwords for all sign ins, and trying not to install programs from sketchy sources, but that doesn't help when the companies holding your data have them in unencrypted plain text files.  Switching to Linux can help somewhat, but Linux phones definitely aren't ready for daily driving yet.

3 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Not sure exactly what you mean.

The community isn't a monolith and won't have a singular opinion on security.  

Wasn’t treating it like that. I guess I meant I wanted everyone, in LTT community, to share each persons personal opinion. 

I do what I can. That being said, I use Gmail, Android devices and a password manager. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Not saying its bad that privacy or security is not talked about, just was kind of curious if its even a concern, or if people just do as much as they can for it. Worstcaster makes a good point in his reply about it.

1 minute ago, Virulent16 said:

Wasn’t treating it like that. I guess I meant I wanted everyone, in LTT community, to share each persons personal opinion. 

Sorry I wasn't clear.  I am unsure of what viewpoint you are looking for?

I say this as someone who was reading 2600 magazines high school years ago, is planning on updating my old Airport Basestation with a Netgate router/fw and an AP soon, and am going to college for computer security in the fall.

1 minute ago, ToboRobot said:

Sorry I wasn't clear.  I am unsure of what viewpoint you are looking for?

I say this as someone who was reading 2600 magazines high school years ago, is planning on updating my old Airport Basestation with a Netgate router/fw and an AP soon, and am going to college for computer security in the fall.

Just to see if its even an issue that needs to be brought, or just being paranoid. Just started college forcyber security in spring and learned alot in a short time already. They definitely do not like Google where I go. Feel like they are a little to worried.

2 minutes ago, Virulent16 said:

Just to see if its even an issue that needs to be brought, or just being paranoid. Just started college forcyber security in spring and learned alot in a short time already. They definitely do not like Google where I go. Feel like they are a little to worried.

At the end of the day, yes I do think Google gets more stats than it needs to, but anything it knows is getting found out somewhere else already.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, Virulent16 said:

ah ok.

Most people, and businesses, see security as an inconvenience and cost, up until the point where security is breached and suddenly it's an issue.

It's an education problem, because an ounce of prevention can save a pound of cure.

My mom struggles with keeping her Mac updated, and it's easy.  So it's not simply a tech issue.

Everyone needs to worry about security, but they have different threat levels and need to adjust their security policy to that.  

i have a cellphone im FU#ed. as well email, addblock, and used honey shop online, Facebook. everyone colets your data.

i tryed disabling remember passwords on fire fox but i gave up...

i guess they can have my meda data i buy pc parts, paintball, food, games. OMG

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

the problem is with big business it seem that the security is getting less and less. one password to log in to alot of stuff when back then you had a password for each thing thoe people are lazy and use the same password for everything so it was easy to guess. like making an account on say an wow fans forms and people hacking that password to get your wow password. low level hack.

i was able to get the long in pass of an admin at school buy looking somewhere cant remember but it shoed the pass of the person long in...i mean it showd my password as i was long in. i dint get an admin pass but could have was the point.

and seem that everything gets hacked and more and more data gets leaked.

the day adblock stops working will mostly be the day i quit the net...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

Privacy, like our data, is a commodity to be sold back to us.

We pay for devices and services which we then allow to take away our privacy and then we are sold devices and services to protect the privacy we give away. It's a perverse and I think odious commercial arrangement, but that's the game. It's kind of like an old time protection racket.

4 minutes ago, Rex Hite said:

Privacy, like our data, is a commodity to be sold back to us.

We pay for devices and services which we then allow to take away our privacy and then we are sold devices and services to protect the privacy we give away. It's a perverse and I think odious commercial arrangement, but that's the game. It's kind of like an old time protection racket.

nwo ring a bell? fear is the game.