PC Only alowing me to download at half speed

OsloHimself

Hello guys,

I have this weird issue since yesterday with my PC. It will only allow me to download at half my internet capacity. It seems like something is limiting the bandwith usage. You can find a speedtest attached here and then the result in Uplay. It's same thing with Steam.

Everything seems to be set correctly, I use a CAT6 cable. I can reproduce the result of 100Mbps in Nperf in my browser.

Any tips would be welcolmed.

chrome_6BfFk6YKs2.png

Taskmgr_BLqh8DFYZi.png

Can you try another internet speedtest, like fast.com (which is powered by Netflix).

Often you will see ISP's boost the performance of speedtest services, to artificially make it seem like the internet performance is better than it actually is.

Plus, you will of course be limited to the speed Steam/UPlay provides, which may be the bottleneck too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

Can you try another internet speedtest, like fast.com (which is powered by Netflix).

Often you will see ISP's boost the performance of speedtest services, to artificially make it seem like the internet performance is better than it actually is.

Plus, you will of course be limited to the speed Steam/UPlay provides, which may be the bottleneck too.

I've tried with fast.com but it says that my internet is slower than 50 (28mbps) which don't make a lot of sense. 

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

I've tried on my laptop to see how a dowload would go and I'm at full speed and it's not even pluged in. Running Wifi and on battery with eco mod

Taskmgr_awGICylaTx.png

2 minutes ago, OsloHimself said:

I've tried with fast.com but it says that my internet is slower than 50 (28mbps) which don't make a lot of sense. 

I understand what you mean by it not making sense it's slower than the 50Mbps of Steam/UPlay and slower than the 90Mbps of Speedtest.net, but it shows your ISP doesn't treat all internet traffic as equal.

Just now, OsloHimself said:

I've tried on my laptop to see how a dowload would go and I'm at full speed and it's not even pluged in. Running Wifi and on battery with eco mod

Of course with this information added, it becomes a bit more difficult, because now the issue seems to be only on your PC and not your laptop and thus not your ISP.

Not sure if UPlay supports this, but can you go to Steam > Settings > Downloads and check if the download region seems appropriate, plus  doublecheck the bandwidth limit isn't turned on?

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

* thread cleaned *

If you're unable or unwilling to help, then please don't reply and move on.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

I understand what you mean by it not making sense it's slower than the 50Mbps of Steam/UPlay and slower than the 90Mbps of Speedtest.net, but it shows your ISP doesn't treat all internet traffic as equal.

Of course with this information added, it becomes a bit more difficult, because now the issue seems to be only on your PC and not your laptop and thus not your ISP.

Not sure if UPlay supports this, but can you go to Steam > Settings > Downloads and check if the download region seems appropriate, plus  doublecheck the bandwidth limit isn't turned on?

Nothing is set to be throttled. I even tried to set the throttle of Uplay at 200mbps without success.

Just for information, both PCs are running SSD. One is a intel I7 and the other a AMD Ryzen 7

7 minutes ago, OsloHimself said:

Nothing is set to be throttled. I even tried to set the throttle of Uplay at 200mbps without success.

Just for information, both PCs are running SSD. One is a intel I7 and the other a AMD Ryzen 7

Have you been able to try another different download server on Steam?
But all of this info almost makes it seem like there is some QoS applied on your router, to make your desktop's download performance on Steam/UPlay lower.

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Have you been able to try another different download server on Steam?
But all of this info almost makes it seem like there is some QoS applied on your router, to make your desktop's download performance on Steam/UPlay lower.

Yes that's what I checked but from what I can see on my router pannel, QOS is disabled.

Could it be some software on my PC ? I don't remember installing anything special recently 

chrome_AbExBZ0xBA.png

4 minutes ago, OsloHimself said:

Yes that's what I checked but from what I can see on my router pannel, QOS is disabled.

Could it be some software on my PC ? I don't remember installing anything special recently 

There are no specific programs to come to mind which might affect the download speed.

The only things I can think of would be very obvious programs (like QoS or "network boost" sort of programs).

Most other settings I can think off would be either inside Steam/UPlay (like that limit bandwidth thing in Steam I mentioned) or would affect system-wide networking speed (such as setting a speed limit on your network card).

So I am quite mystified on why this is happening and honestly not sure what to suggest.

One thing I thought of what you could do, is make a 4G hotspot with your phone, to connect your PC to that. That way you can conclusively say it's about your PC and not your home network.

That does require WiFi on your PC, unless you have USB Tethering on your phone.

1 minute ago, minibois said:

There are no specific programs to come to mind which might affect the download speed.

The only things I can think of would be very obvious programs (like QoS or "network boost" sort of programs).

Most other settings I can think off would be either inside Steam/UPlay (like that limit bandwidth thing in Steam I mentioned) or would affect system-wide networking speed (such as setting a speed limit on your network card).

So I am quite mystified on why this is happening and honestly not sure what to suggest.

One thing I thought of what you could do, is make a 4G hotspot with your phone, to connect your PC to that. That way you can conclusively say it's about your PC and not your home network.

That does require WiFi on your PC, unless you have USB Tethering on your phone.

That's not a bad idea. I'm already using a 4G router but I'll try with my phone. 

2 minutes ago, OsloHimself said:

That's not a bad idea. I'm already using a 4G router but I'll try with my phone. 

Well I'm stuck at almost the exact same speed, arround 40 to 50mbps while a speedtest on my phone give me 81.7 mbps

14 hours ago, OsloHimself said:

Well I'm stuck at almost the exact same speed, arround 40 to 50mbps while a speedtest on my phone give me 81.7 mbps

Do you have an Intel Killer NIC on your motherboard? and if not, have you tried to update the drivers for the NICs to see that might resolve the issue?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

52 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

Do you have an Intel Killer NIC on your motherboard? and if not, have you tried to update the drivers for the NICs to see that might resolve the issue?

I have fixed the issue with a Windows re-install. I also tried a Windows restore to the previous week but it did not fixed the issue.