psu problem ? help please

DarthBudgie

when i shut off the computer with the switch on the psu then turn it back on quickly it wont boot at all or anything so i hit the switch again on the psu till its off for 5-6 seconds then i switch the switch on and it boots its been happing across 5 different motherboards and the pc still runs fine its not making any weird sounds or anything so im wondering if its safe to use it with my pc 

5 minutes ago, DarthBudgie said:

when i shut off the computer with the switch on the psu then turn it back on quickly

Why on earth are you doing this? Stop flipping the switch on the PSU off and on all the time and your problem is solved.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Why on earth are you doing this? Stop flipping the switch on the PSU off and on all the time and your problem is solved.

well ive been doing it for years im just curious why it like almost locks

4 minutes ago, DarthBudgie said:

well ive been doing it for years im just curious why it like almost locks

Why on earth are you doing this? Stop flipping the switch on the PSU off

I hope hdds are safe from you

I'm willing to swim against the current.

i have the same hard drives for years too and they arent dead yet i have 350000 hours on one

Just now, DarthBudgie said:

well ive been doing it for years

I don't mean this in any negative way I'm only trying to understand why you are doing it, but do you have some form of behavioural tick or OCD where you need to flip switches off and on multiple times? If so all I can really suggest is moving the PC to a place where the switch isn't visible or easily accessible to hopefully remove the temptation to flip it. There are also some PSUs that don't have the switch, so if it is a big problem you could look at swapping it for a PSU without the switch on the back.

If that isn't the reason why you're flipping it off and on, just stop turning it off. PSUs are meant to be left on. You only need to turn it off if you're unplugging it or changing components which shouldn't be very frequently, and in those situations you won't need to quickly turn it back on as soon as you turn it off either.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I don't mean this in any negative way I'm only trying to understand why you are doing it, but do you have some form of behavioural tick or OCD where you need to flip switches off and on multiple times? If so all I can really suggest is moving the PC to a place where the switch isn't visible or easily accessible to hopefully remove the temptation to flip it. There are also some PSUs that don't have the switch, so if it is a big problem you could look at swapping it for a PSU without the switch on the back.

If that isn't the reason why you're flipping it off and on, just stop turning it off. PSUs are meant to be left on. You only need to turn it off if you're unplugging it or changing components which shouldn't be very frequently, and in those situations you won't need to quickly turn it back on as soon as you turn it off either.

ya i actually do have ocd but its not that i flip it  all the time i use it as  reset switch cause that doesnt work

25 minutes ago, DarthBudgie said:

i have the same hard drives for years too and they arent dead yet i have 350000 hours on one

Well that's interesting, how many hdds do you have ?

An hdd stopping rotating before the heads are parked could be devastating.

The heads crash with the fast rotating platters, damaging the surface (and the heads)

Only recently I discovered that hdds could use the rotating energy to still park the heads after power out.

Edit : But this is a safety feature, I wouldn't count on it.

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

no and its okay i didnt take offense but ok

Just now, leclod said:

Well that's interesting, how many hdds do you have ?

An hdd stopping rotating before the heads are parked could be devastating.

The heads crash with the fast rotating platters, damaging the surface (and the heads)

Only recently I discovered that hdds could use the rotating energy to still park the heads after power out.

i have  3 hard drives and 3 ssds

ya i actually do have ocd but its not that i flip it  all the time i use it as  reset switch cause that doesnt work

Why don't you just use the W10 shut off switch ?

Just now, leclod said:

Why don't you just use the W10 shut off switch ?

the main power button?

cause windows turns it half off and then its not actually off like i like to cold boot windows everytime idk why

cause windows turns it half off and then its not actually off like i like to cold boot windows everytime idk why

Just disable quick boot so it is completely off

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Just disable quick boot so it is completely off

how do i do that?

the main power button?

I meant that thing in the bottom left (sorry my technical english isn't thourough)

826093416_Capturedcran(146).png

2 minutes ago, DarthBudgie said:

See if you can repair the case reset switch. Resetting from a reset switch on the case sends the signal to the motherboard to reset the system, it doesn't just abruptly kill power to the PSU like flipping the switch on the PSU does.

1 minute ago, DarthBudgie said:

Windows is quite happy being put in standby/sleep/hibernation. You don't need to shut down and kill power to the system every time you use the PC.

how do i do that?

In the BIOS settings there should be an option for Quick Boot. Set it to disabled.

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

See if you can repair the case reset switch. Resetting from a reset switch on the case sends the signal to the motherboard to reset the system, it doesn't just abruptly kill power to the PSU like flipping the switch on the PSU does.

Windows is quite happy being put in standby/sleep/hibernation. You don't need to shut down and kill power to the system every time you use the PC.

In the BIOS settings there should be an option for Quick Boot. Set it to disabled.

okay i was able to get the reset switch to work  and i disabled quick boot 

so if i stoped doing it from here on out ill be fine right

6 minutes ago, DarthBudgie said:

okay i was able to get the reset switch to work  and i disabled quick boot 

so if i stoped doing it from here on out ill be fine right

I didn't get the Reset switch thing, why do you use/need the Reset switch ?

I don't even have a Reset switch on my case.

If I want to Reset, I select Restart from W10 or I push the "Power Button"on my case, then once more when it's shut off