A budget (and i mean it) VR setup

Hello PC hivemind,

I recently bought a used rift s to come to the glaring realisation that my current setup is not cutting it in Pavlov, Assetto Corsa and ACC, or really anything thats not very simple in its graphics.
My rig does 1080p very nicely, limited 1440p capabilities, and those limited capabilities are currently biting me in the rear.
It's an HP prebuilt i bought for 1000€ back in 2013. I've since swapped the gpu, and the specs are now the following:

CPU:   i7 4770 that'll boost to 3.9Ghz
Mobo: whatever future e-waste HP used to make it function, its got USB 3 givem credit
RAM:  16gb of ddr 1600 generic looking ram
GPU:  Zotac GTX 1060 6gb mini, bought for 250 in 2017 and worth 300 now. what is wrong with people.
PSU:  [(dense mandarin) 460w with a 6 pin only]  I got a 750w semi modular generic brand PSU of similar vintage that powered the rig i had before it. At some point it went beepity boopity and i replaced the system. Its now in a different windows xp rig and it works great powering an HD 6970 with 2 8 pins!
Drives: one 2tb HDD by western digital to replace the broken ****** seagate 1tb drive that came in it oh my god the pictures were irrecoverable 

Now, since my 1080p performance was honestly pretty good assetto ran at 100+ before i went cpu bound which was rarely the case, could i chance it sourcing a 20 or even 30 series card if i find a local deal and shoving it up this ancient systems PCIE slot and run it with a 7 year old run of the mill non overclockable CPU? Buy an SSD while im at it. 
Or am i better off buying a used system that has better CPU and RAM?

Realistically, i got 700€ to spend on it.
If anybody's done something similar, id love to hear some ideas

5 minutes ago, RaptorJeezus said:

Hello PC hivemind,

I recently bought a used rift s to come to the glaring realisation that my current setup is not cutting it in Pavlov, Assetto Corsa and ACC, or really anything thats not very simple in its graphics.
My rig does 1080p very nicely, limited 1440p capabilities, and those limited capabilities are currently biting me in the rear.
It's an HP prebuilt i bought for 1000€ back in 2013. I've since swapped the gpu, and the specs are now the following:

CPU:   i7 4770 that'll boost to 3.9Ghz
Mobo: whatever future e-waste HP used to make it function, its got USB 3 givem credit
RAM:  16gb of ddr 1600 generic looking ram
GPU:  Zotac GTX 1060 6gb mini, bought for 250 in 2017 and worth 300 now. what is wrong with people.
PSU:  [(dense mandarin) 460w with a 6 pin only]  I got a 750w semi modular generic brand PSU of similar vintage that powered the rig i had before it. At some point it went beepity boopity and i replaced the system. Its now in a different windows xp rig and it works great powering an HD 6970 with 2 8 pins!
Drives: one 2tb HDD by western digital to replace the broken ****** seagate 1tb drive that came in it oh my god the pictures were irrecoverable 

Now, since my 1080p performance was honestly pretty good assetto ran at 100+ before i went cpu bound which was rarely the case, could i chance it sourcing a 20 or even 30 series card if i find a local deal and shoving it up this ancient systems PCIE slot and run it with a 7 year old run of the mill non overclockable CPU? Buy an SSD while im at it. 
Or am i better off buying a used system that has better CPU and RAM?

Realistically, i got 700€ to spend on it.
If anybody's done something similar, id love to hear some ideas

I used to run my CV1 rift on a 4790k + 1070, worked fine for most games. I mostly played DCS & War Thunder.
I'm surprised you're struggling this much..

Did you try maybe cleaning up your windows install to make sure you don't have junk chugging down your system ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Its recent, 6 months old install. The GPU sees 99% usage in 2d because i can just run the frame rate unlimited. the Rift S has a native rate of 80 which it will cap at, and as soon as performance goes below 80 it goes to 40 with asynchronous space warp. its like forced vsync that just seems like the nature of a vr headset which would be great with a good enough system

39 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

I used to run my CV1 rift on a 4790k + 1070, worked fine for most games. I mostly played DCS & War Thunder.
I'm surprised you're struggling this much..

Agreed.

I managed to get my Vive (mk1) and Rift (CV1) running on a 780ti (cant recall what CPU) but games like Project Cars and Elite Dangerous played. Ok, it wasn't perfect but it was workable.

46 minutes ago, RaptorJeezus said:

Buy an SSD while im at it. 

Absolutely, yes!

Bedroom PC - Lian-Li O11 XL Evo - Intel Core i5 13600k @ 5.4P / 4.4EGhz -  MSI Pro-A Wifi Z790 Mobo DDR5 - 32GB Ram - Gigabyte RTX 4090 - 1TB Samsung 990Pro NVMe - Corsair HX1200i PSU - Dual Custom Loop Cooling - GPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface S240 + EK Quantum Surface P360M X-Flow Rads - CPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface X360M Rad

Living Room PC - Hyte Y60 - Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5Ghz -  MSI Meg Ace Z390 Mobo - 16GB Ram - Palit RTX 3080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - Corsair AX850 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with Hyte Y60 Corner Distro Plate - EK Coolstream S120 + EK Quantum Surface S360 + EK Quantum Surface X240M

Extension PC - Lian Li o11 Dynamic - Intel Core i7 8086k @ 5.1Ghz -  Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA RTX 2080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EKWB 360 Rads + G1 side EKWB distro plate.

Office - Thermaltake Tower 100 - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz - Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 1080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EK Quantum Surface P120M Rads + Barrow 3-in-1 Block, Res & Pump.

Annex - Corsair 250D - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77 I Delux Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980ti - 256GB Corsair SSD - BeQuiet P11 750 PSU - CPU cooled with EK Coolstream S240 + S120 Rads + EK Pump / Res Combo

Office - Corsair 280X - Intel Core i7 4790k - Asrock H97M ITX Mobo  - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980 - Corsair SFXL600 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with triple EK Coolstream S240s + EK Pump / Res Combo

NAS PC - Fractal Node 804 - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77-M Mobo - 16GB Ram - MSI GTX 1660 Ventus - Corsair AX850 PSU - Unraid 15TB Storage Server

Living Room AV Setup 5.1.4 - Yamaha RX-A2060 - 2 x B&W CM9s2 - 2 x Monitor Audio FX Silvers - 4 x B&W CCM665s - B&W CMCs2 - SVS SB13 Ultra - LG OLED65C1

Extension AV Setup - Sonos ARC + Sub (Gen 3) - LG OLED65C6V + Yamaha RX-A1070 - 5 x Monitor Audio C265s (2 Zones)

Bedroom AV Setup - Yamaha WXC-50 - 2 x B&W CM1s - Rel Quake - LG OLED42C2.

-> Moved to New Builds and Planning

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

What you guys are forgetting is a rift s pushes more pixels than a CV1 or vive, i am taxing this GPU with running 1440p split between the eyes, something the 1060 wasnt designed to do in 2016 let alone 2021

To give some further input myself, sorry for the double post, i could buy a 5600x rig with 16 quick gigs of ddr4 and all the good bits for 700€ and shove my 1060 in there. Thats an option. I could also buy something like a used and abused 2070 for the same money and shove it up this old ladies chassis. Any input from people running systems like those two proposed ones would be greatly appreciated