Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What about a double ended SSD 馃

So, the Samsung 2.5" sata ssd (& likely many others,) takes up less than half the space of it's case, has anyone ever modded an SSD case to put a second SSD in the back & double the storage in that footprint?

I ask because the case I'm considering the most has only 2 2.5" & 2 3.5" slots but the motherboard I want has 10 or 12 sata ports. Maybe not right away, but in the future I'd much rather mod simple SSDs than overhaul my case and/or set up an external hardrive case/rack

Video where I saw the SSD & the space inside the case

https://youtu.be/PQXKm-WL6s4

the reason they only fill half of the 2.5" enclosure is because it's a standard size, but making the guts smaller is cheaper.

in the same way, making a "storage space times two" single SSD will be cheaper than putting two seperate SSD's in a single enclosure.

2.5" SSDs can be put basically anywhere inside a computer. It would be far easier to find somewhere to tuck another drive inside the case than it would be to modify the case of a drive.聽

York (NAS/Secondary Desktop): Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), 24GB 1333MHz DDR3, Zotac GTX 550 Ti AMP! 1GB, HP OEM GTX 680 2GB, 500GB Crucial MX500, 2x 3TB HDD + 3x 2TB HDD (12TB total), Windows Server 2019

Phobos (Main Desktop): AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, XFX Radeon RX 570 4GB, 1TB WD Blue SN550, 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Bondi: Apple iMac G3 (Tray Loader, Revision A), PowerPC 750, 384MB PC-66, ATI Rage IIc 2MB, 4GB Quantum Fireball, Mac OS 9.2.2

Clover (NAS): Dell OptiPlex 755 MT, Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (2C/2T), 8GB 800MHz DDR2, 160GB WD Caviar SE (Boot), 2x 1TB WD Caviar Blue (Storage), FreeNAS 11.3-U1

1 hour ago, Beat_my_Laptop said:

So, the Samsung 2.5" sata ssd (& likely many others,) takes up less than half the space of it's case, has anyone ever modded an SSD case to put a second SSD in the back & double the storage in that footprint?

I ask because the case I'm considering the most has only 2 2.5" & 2 3.5" slots but the motherboard I want has 10 or 12 sata ports. Maybe not right away, but in the future I'd much rather mod simple SSDs than overhaul my case and/or set up an external hardrive case/rack

Video where I saw the SSD & the space inside the case

https://youtu.be/PQXKm-WL6s4

I'm guessing it only took up half the space because of the capacity, I believe a larger SSD will need more space.

Another day another PC part picker list bullied.

Probably the best and most in depth PC build guide, great for beginners聽https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

猬囷笍聽Specs Below猬囷笍

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G@3.5GHz

COOLER: AMD Wraith Stealth Cooler

GPU: Uh.. imagine having one of those, cringe

MOBO: Gigabyte A320M-S2H

MEMORY: 16 GB聽OLOy DDR4@3200 (2x8GB)

STORAGE: Kingston A400, 240聽GB

PSU: ARESGAME AGV500 (500 WATT)

CASE: MONTECH Flyer, Black