What is a good cooler for a ryzen 9 5900x?

Hi, I just purchased a 5900x and I got a free Corsair A500 cooler with it. But I have read about Ryzen 5000 being very very very hot(as in 90 degrees or more is not uncommon). So my question is, would the corsair A500 be good enough to cool it? and if not, I also have a artiq liquid freezer II 360mm on another computer(I would rather leave it on there), but would that be good enough if the A500 is to weak? I am also open to suggestions for good coolers for the 5900x, the price isn't to important but good value options are always welcome. I am mainly going to use it for gaming, but I do want the cooler to be able to cool it under full load(since I am going to keep it and at some point I assume all the cores will be used no matter what I do). 

The a500 is a bad cooler due to cheap manufacturing.

Get the sycthe fuma 2 it is a very good cooler and will handle it no problem.

Or a NH-D15 , Arctic II 360mm ,Dark rock pro4 

These are pretty good choices 

Just use that one. It was crucified on reviews because it cost 100$, its not bad for free or for 40$. A few degrees worse than d15 on 3950X 200W load.

42 minutes ago, 62221 said:

I am also open to suggestions for good coolers for the 5900x, the price isn't to important but good value options are always welcome.

NH-D15 all the way...

Zen 3 does run hot, but it doesn't take anything insane to cool it. I'm cooling my 5900X with a U12S, as that's what I had from my 3700X previously. Temps are a little higher than I'd like, but it does the job.

I'd go for a U12A over a D15. Despite the similar naming to the U12S, is a completely different design that's on par with the D15, but with near universal compatibility.  There's actually no real point to the D15 at this point unless you can't find the U12A or you want it in black (unfortunately, they don't have a chromax.black version of the U12A yet).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 hour ago, Jeppes said:

Just use that one. It was crucified on reviews because it cost 100$, its not bad for free or for 40$. A few degrees worse than d15 on 3950X 200W load.

It does have legit issues where some just make such poor contact the system overheats. The criticism it got was and still is valid.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It does have legit issues where some just make such poor contact the system overheats. The criticism it got was and still is valid.

It wont hurt to try it first does it? I would not pay anything for meaningless 3C difference in temps.

Just now, Jeppes said:

It wont hurt to try it first does it? I would not pay anything for meaningless 3C difference in temps.

Its just going to cost op time and it has to still be able to be returned.

I would not risk money, time or effort on a known issue cooler.

That 3c can be as much as 20c. This thing has random contact issues none is alike and there are ones that can barely cool and i3 and others that are top of the line. Again low to no quality control leads to this issue.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Its just going to cost op time and it has to still be able to be returned.

I would not risk money, time or effort on a known issue cooler.

That 3c can be as much as 20c. This thing has random contact issues none is alike and there are ones that can barely cool and i3 and others that are top of the line. Again low to no quality control leads to this issue.

He got it for free based on the message. Highly unlikely they will give him money back if he only returns the cooler, its more likely  they just bundle those with cpu:s now to get rid off them.

Feel free to link those 20C differences to Fuma2 with a 150W cpu.

2 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

He got it for free based on the message. Highly unlikely they will give him money back if he only returns the cooler, its more likely  they just bundle those with cpu:s now to get rid off them.

If they have it and it was free no harm in trying as returning it then is not possible.

These are posts of people complaining about problems with the cooler. Of course there is not review. However someone at 93c on a 5800x with a a500 is not normal we all know that.

Just now, jaslion said:

If they have it and it was free no harm in trying as returning it then is not possible.

These are posts of people complaining about problems with the cooler. Of course there is not review. However someone at 93c on a 5800x with a a500 is not normal we all know that.

5800x has the worst binned 8-core dies so those run hot. Add in a craptastic glass front paneled case and you could easily hit 90C even with a D15. If you read reviews, you will see a pattern where a 5900X will run about 10-15C cooler than 5800X when using the same cooler. And its not a surprise as 5900X has double the surface area below the heatspreader for transfering heat out.

4 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

5800x has the worst binned 8-core dies so those run hot. Add in a craptastic glass front paneled case and you could easily hit 90C even with a D15. If you read reviews, you will see a pattern where a 5900X will run about 10-15C cooler than 5800X when using the same cooler. And its not a surprise as 5900X has double the surface area below the heatspreader for transfering heat out.

I am aware. In a decent airflow case the a500 should do fine but it is a gamble.

I am using a Thermalright FC140 on mine. Its a badass cooler. Probably better than the D15.. it is on paper anyways.. better than my D14.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B12, TY-143

1 minute ago, freeagent said:

I am using a Thermalright FC140 on mine. Its a badass cooler. Probably better than the D15.. it is on paper anyways.. better than my D14.

I'm using Zalman CNPS20X that is on paper also better than D15, yet I wish I had Fuma 2 - it has asymmetrical design that does not block RAM slots.

I edit my posts more often than not

Compared to the coolers I have, I wouldn't consider a fuma for a 5900x.. that's crazy talk to me..

6 hours ago, Omar.B said:

Or a NH-D15 , Arctic II 360mm ,Dark rock pro4 

These are pretty good choices 

6 hours ago, jaslion said:

The a500 is a bad cooler due to cheap manufacturing.

Get the sycthe fuma 2 it is a very good cooler and will handle it no problem.

5 hours ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

NH-D15 all the way...

5 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

Zen 3 does run hot, but it doesn't take anything insane to cool it. I'm cooling my 5900X with a U12S, as that's what I had from my 3700X previously. Temps are a little higher than I'd like, but it does the job.

I'd go for a U12A over a D15. Despite the similar naming to the U12S, is a completely different design that's on par with the D15, but with near universal compatibility.  There's actually no real point to the D15 at this point unless you can't find the U12A or you want it in black (unfortunately, they don't have a chromax.black version of the U12A yet).

Okay, thanks I will take a look at those.

And compatibility is always nice, I would take performance over it I think though. I did see that the diffrence between even the u12s and D15 wasn't that massive I think it was like 5 degrees, but I will keep the mentioned coolers in mind.

5 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

How hot does your 5900x run? I read from a lot of people their cpu would be at 80-90 degrees when gaming ( and not under full load either), like what should I try to aim for? Those tempratures do seem very high to me, but a lot of people said that was normal for ryzen 5000. I am also going to overclock it by the way, or probably let pbo do that for me but like it will still draw more power and produce more heat than stock.

4 hours ago, jaslion said:

I just watched the video and am kinda mixed, the average tempratures were fine ish, but I dont like the bad contact, and I see why they are giving it away for free now, I got it for 570 which is a bit over msrp, but it had the 50 euro cooler so I was fine with it( it used to be 100, but the prices got dropped to 50). but definitly a helpful video thanks.

4 hours ago, Jeppes said:

I definitly think they are, I got the 5900x for 20 euros over msrp(550), but I was fine with it since it had the 50 euro cooler, but I am thinking about trying to sell it then, or maybe use it on some other computer and see how it does.

4 hours ago, Jeppes said:

I could put it in 2 cases one is very good as far as I know and one is Fractal Design Focus G which does seem to get very hot over time due to bad airflow, altho I might put more fans into it to maybe make it run cooler. It comes with few fans, and they all seem to be very weak.

4 hours ago, jaslion said:

I am aware. In a decent airflow case the a500 should do fine but it is a gamble.

I see, I am not sure in what kind of case I am going to put it. I have one empty one and one with my older i7 system in it. But I would rather have a quality cooler on the 5900x, so I think I will sell it then. I can sell them for about 30-40 euros which is fine by me too.

3 hours ago, freeagent said:

how are temps on that? and where you able to get a good overclock with that cooler?

15 minutes ago, 62221 said:

How hot does your 5900x run? I read from a lot of people their cpu would be at 80-90 degrees when gaming ( and not under full load either), like what should I try to aim for? Those tempratures do seem very high to me, but a lot of people said that was normal for ryzen 5000. I am also going to overclock it by the way, or probably let pbo do that for me but like it will still draw more power and produce more heat than stock.

Those temps are crazy. Good luck with your cooler 👍🏻

12 minutes ago, 62221 said:

In general for Ryzen, you want to keep it under 95C. There's some anecdotal evidence that Zen 3 can get as high as 105C before it thermal throttles, but 95C is the traditional limit, and you should probably just stick with that measure for safety.

With the U12S, my 5900X got as hot as 81C under load stock. Once I undervolted it, that came down to 71C, though. Granted, this is a best case scenario for that cooler, though. I have a very good airflow case (Meshify C) with Noctua fans throughout and an extra fan on the cooler. However, I also run a mostly silent fan curve, so there's some extra cooling potential if you don't care about noise.

Again, the only reason I'm rocking this particular cooler is because it's what I had purchased for my 3700X. If I was building the system from scratch today, I'd go with a better cooler. The point is that as long as the cooler is decent, you shouldn't have any issues. After that, it's just about bringing the temps down even further.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse