Rx480 8GB when put under full load, freezes the system

Quanta Girl
I have this Rx480 which i bought used from someone locally has this weird thing going on, when run with a benchmark software or a heavy game (I ran gta v), it freezes the system.
I tried flashing the latest available v-bios from techpower-up "Sapphire.RX480.8192.160603_1.rom"
even flashed bios from another working card, but nothing. So far, i have reached nowhere, but ya, if the load is like 50-60ish% it works fine. Help me if you can. I want to revive this card so bad.
Also the fan has a whiny sound.

1.gif

Try maxing out the power limits in msi afterburner and checking your gpu and vram usage with riva tuner statistics server.

If it crashes when vram util is 4gb then you may have a wrong bios and youll need a 4gb bios.

You may also need to underclock the gpu to max then see what the highest speed the core and mem clock will go before crashing, if mem clock crashes lower than stock then youve got faulty vram, if core crashes below stock then youve got a faulty but still working gpu.

You may be able to remedy the gpu by adjusting the voltage curve via msi afterburner and set all ponts to +50 or +100mv if you wanna oc it

7 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Try maxing out the power limits in msi afterburner and checking your gpu and vram usage with riva tuner statistics server.

If it crashes when vram util is 4gb then you may have a wrong bios and youll need a 4gb bios.

You may also need to underclock the gpu to max then see what the highest speed the core and mem clock will go before crashing, if mem clock crashes lower than stock then youve got faulty vram, if core crashes below stock then youve got a faulty but still working gpu.

You may be able to remedy the gpu by adjusting the voltage curve via msi afterburner and set all ponts to +50 or +100mv if you wanna oc it

I tried underclocking both the core and mem to the max possible but still same result in both the cases. Also, i tried flashing a 4gig bios but the product no. doesnt match so couldnt. And yeas, i have got a faulty but still working gpu as i can play rocket league but i cannot play gta v, cuz as soon as its the time to load the world, it freezes. Didnt try overvolting as this is a ref card and i fear it going bad 

wasn't the rx 480 famous for drawing to much power from PCI-E slot? that would lead to instability.

well you could set a fps Limit for the short term solution. 

14 hours ago, Quanta Girl said:

Also the fan has a whiny sound.

you got some 120 mm fans laying around? just unscrew the fans and plastics around your Graphiccard and install those 120mm fans. (that is a 2060S, well I have noctua fans installed now and it so so silent)

1293419046_1621190741662(1).thumb.jpg.72c0f9faf454fe5a63c12623c10d0a7b.jpg

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.