NVME is slow after cloning?

kaddle

i cloned my HDD to a new NVME and it is definitely faster. i haven't experienced any lag from the disk which is a huge improvement.

https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-blue-sn550-nvme-ssd#WDS250G2B0C

the problem is i barely see the read/write speed exceed 100 mb/s. it just doesn't feel like it's as fast as it's supposed to be.

also, when steam was downloading something a while ago the download speed didn't exceed 3.3 mb/s of write speed, which is exactly the download speeds i had when using my HDD. my HDD is disconnected from the motherboard.

strangely enough, my ethernet reported download speeds of over 25 mb/s.

is this normal or is my NVME slow for some reason?

51 minutes ago, kaddle said:

barely see the read/write speed exceed 100 mb/s

How do you measure it?

If you copy from the HDD, yes the read and write will be dictated by the HDD max performance.

52 minutes ago, kaddle said:

download speed didn't exceed 3.3 mb/s of write speed

Download speed is related to the internet speed not the storage.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

How do you measure it?

If you copy from the HDD, yes the read and write will be dictated by the HDD max performance.

Download speed is related to the internet speed not the storage.

i just look at the stats in the task manager.

how do i change it so that the speed is not dictated by the max performance of the previous drive?

to be more accurate, steam was updating a game. i believe the 3.3mb/s was reflecting how fast it was writing the update to the SSD. my ethernet stats in task manager was showing over 25mb/s during that time.

2 minutes ago, kaddle said:

i just look at the stats in the task manager.

Thats not how you measure its performance. Try crystaldiskmark.

4 minutes ago, kaddle said:

3.3mb/s

3.3 MB/s is equal to / around  25 mbps.

Thats your internet speed not the ssd speed.

you can learn it here:

https://www.ncta.com/whats-new/why-do-we-use-bits-measure-internet-speed-but-bytes-measure-data

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w