Free FPS'ers?

Mondale

There are a lot of free to play games but usually there's a push for you to purchase in game upgrades or skins etc. One of my favorite games I still play is America's Army Proving Grounds which is completely free without having to unlock special things or any type of micro transactions. Are there any other FPS games out there that are completely free?

i9 13900k | MSI Z790 CARBON WiFi | 32GB Kingston FURY Beast | Asus TUF Gaming 4090 OC | WD Black NVMe 1TB | WD 2TB SSD | Thermaltake 1350 80 Plus Gold | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm | Windows 11 Pro | Alienware 240hz | Phanteks Eclipse P500A Digital LED | HyperX Alloy | Logitech G502 | HyperX Alpha

4 minutes ago, Mondale said:

There are a lot of free to play games but usually there's a push for you to purchase in game upgrades or skins etc. One of my favorite games I still play is America's Army Proving Grounds which is completely free without having to unlock special things or any type of micro transactions. Are there any other FPS games out there that are completely free?

Honestly? Not really...at least nothing notable. 

Another game that is free to play and there is a push to purchase skins for weapons and clothes but can be played without any type of disadvantages is Quake Champions

i9 13900k | MSI Z790 CARBON WiFi | 32GB Kingston FURY Beast | Asus TUF Gaming 4090 OC | WD Black NVMe 1TB | WD 2TB SSD | Thermaltake 1350 80 Plus Gold | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm | Windows 11 Pro | Alienware 240hz | Phanteks Eclipse P500A Digital LED | HyperX Alloy | Logitech G502 | HyperX Alpha

Developers have to make money somehow. 

Valorant and CSGO are noteable as their base game is just that. Everything else is primarily cosmetic 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Valo and CS have skins, but it is FTP and skins arent manditory, although note that skins in both games can be addicting to use/buy. (I've wasted $45 on valo, I need that reaver vandal ;/)

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

I'm just looking for something that doesn't require or give an advantage for in game purchases.

1 minute ago, Mondale said:

I'm just looking for something that doesn't require or give an advantage for in game purchases.

As mentioned above by @Downkeyand I: CSGO and Valorant have cosmetics- but thats it.

Also ensure you quote when you reply so others in the thread get notified. 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

These are all of the current F2P FPS that I'm aware of that might be good. 🙂

Destiny [Steam] - Now surprisingly F2P until further notice.

destiny-the-halo-pro-player-verdict.thumb.jpg.51a4decd2a248e833e5ef3568c9f961f.jpg

Blacklight Retribution [Steam / No longer available] - The once beloved F2P FPS that Epic Games took offline.

blacklight-retribution-art.thumb.jpg.e22f1db54d855a23c30a84756d704f4e.jpg

Ironsight [Steam] - Knock-off Call of Duty.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.cb8e3c77e18ed35ddec077876be06945.jpg

Warface [Steam] - Another Call of Duty knock-off.

warface-switch-hero.thumb.jpg.f661295a868d89e444749ea6a50552c8.jpg

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

There's Xonotic, OpenArena, as well as the thousand or so open source Quake clones. Xonotic for feature richness and good graphics, OpenArena for potato computers.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

I played a game a while back with my cousin that was f2p. I'd say sometime around 2016/2017.

I don't remember the name, and it seems similar to Valorant. May even have been Valorant.

The one big thing I remember is that from the character selection screen, once a player was chosen, nobody else could pick them.

Each character also had a special move.

Sorry, not overly helpful, but it was a really fun game.

I'll check with my cousin and see if they remember the name.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

I remembered the name. It's called Paladins.

Not sure if it's still around or not, but if you're a fan of high pace fps style, it was a great time killer!!!

I found it got a little repetitive, but that may have been because I didn't choose from all the characters. I had a few I really liked, and usually stuck with them.

There are several different maps and there was a ton of characters at the time. Not sure on current selection.

Here's a link. I recommend checking it out.

https://paladins.fandom.com/wiki/Paladins_Wiki

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

CrossFire

Alliance of Valiant Arms

Combat-Arms

Basicly the games i grew up with, free shooters that mimiced cs 1.6, gave me and my brother and his friends quite the fun over the early years of owning our own computers.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

Destiny 2

Warface

Warzone

CS:GO

Valorant

Apex Legends  

Planetside 2

I'd definitely recommend Destiny 2.

For a free game it has a vast amount of lore and content, and I think it still looks great.

It also doesn't require a monster pc to run at nice settings.

I actually quite enjoyed Warface, though it is very microtransaction heavy.

Apex is also good fun, and isn't especially pushy about microtransactions...at least from what I remember (haven't been on for a while).

None of the in game purchases are essential in any of them, but progress can feel very slow, particularly in Warface.

Warzone, I'd imagine you know all about that.

I haven't played Planetside 2 for years, but I think it's still up and running with a decent community. 

The other two, CS and Valorant, aren't my cup of tea - but from what I understand you don't need to spend money unless you want the gaudy gun skins, cosmetics etc...

P.S If you were prepared to give third person shooters a go there are some good options there too.

CS:GO

Valorant

Good options, especially the second one.

I have Warzone, and Destiny 2, and I've played a little CS:GO. I'll have to check out some of the others.