Corsair HX1200 vs AX1000

Yahfz

I currently have the following system: Custom loop with 2x 360mm/60mm Rads + RTX 3090 2150MHz + 11900K@5.3GHz and i was wondering which one would be a better fit.

I know that the AX1000 has better internal components and currently costs $100 more than the HX1200 where I live. But here's the question, how much better is the AX1000? Is it worth paying the $100 more for the AX1000 and losing 200W for the better components? Or should i save the $100 and get the HX1200 instead?

PSU Models:
CP-9020152
CP-9020140

i9-11900K  - RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra - ROG Maximus Hero XIII - 32GB 3733 14-15-15 tRFC 260 - RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Custom Loop 2x 360mm/60mm rads

2 minutes ago, Yahfz said:

I know that the AX1000 has better internal components and currently costs $100 more than the HX1200 where I live. But here's the question, how much better is the AX1000? Is it worth paying the $100 more for the AX1000 and losing 200W for the better components? Or should i save the $100 and get the HX1200 instead?

The HX1200 is better. Buy that, save $100.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The HX1200 is better. Buy that, save $100.

Why is it better?

i9-11900K  - RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra - ROG Maximus Hero XIII - 32GB 3733 14-15-15 tRFC 260 - RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra - Custom Loop 2x 360mm/60mm rads

They are both great power supplies. If you are judging one has better components over the other due to one having an 80+ rating of Titanium and the other Platinum, that is not always the case here. 

Go for the 1200W unit to be on the safe side if you are overclocking heavily and have a custom water-cooled loop. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Went with the HX1200 and used the extra $100 to get an SN850 1TB aswell. Thanks for all the help boys!

5 hours ago, Yahfz said:

I know that the AX1000 has better internal components 

You do?

News flash.  It's just higher efficiency.  The HX is actually better.

You made the right choice.

9 hours ago, Yahfz said:

I know that the AX1000 has better internal components and currently costs $100 more than the HX1200 where I live. But here's the question, how much better is the AX1000?

Afaik the AX isnt better........ 

Its just worse and (typically) more expensive. 

5 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

You do?

News flash.  It's just higher efficiency.  The HX is actually better.

You made the right choice.

That's excellent. I didn't really go by efficiency, i went by the PSU Tier List. They usually list the AX lineup as the best corsair lineup so i thought it was the better PSU based on that. Would you mind explaining why is it better? Thank you.

7 hours ago, Yahfz said:

That's excellent. I didn't really go by efficiency, i went by the PSU Tier List. They usually list the AX lineup as the best corsair lineup so i thought it was the better PSU based on that. Would you mind explaining why is it better? Thank you.

Virtually every component in it. 

I don't know why the tier list would say AX is better than HX.  It's higher on Corsair's hierarchy because it's more efficient.  But a few corners were cut on the way.  It started out being a truly better power supply with the code name "Page" (as in Jimmy Page), but after a lot of push back, whining and moaning, it was neutered into a project called "Wood" (as in Ronnie Wood).

48 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I don't know why the tier list would say AX is better than HX

if he is reffering to the PSUcultist PSU tierlist, it doesnt. 

in fact it puts it in the Multirail/switchable category compared to singlerail on the AX. Which is "higher" on the list, but also just better at the wattages these PSUs are available in. 

they are both guilded, but thats just because the tierlist doesnt really differentiate above Bitfenix Whisper M quality wise. 

7 hours ago, Yahfz said:

They usually list the AX lineup as the best corsair lineup so i thought it was the better PSU based on that.

it doesnt do that tho. And if you were to ask, they would say the AXi is the best PSU in corsairs lineup (and on the consumer market in general). The AXi being in no way comparable to the AX, as the AXi is just way better. 

and as mentioned earlier, the HX and HXi are both rated higher on the list aswell, due to being in the Multirail/switchable section. 

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

I don't know why the tier list would say AX is better than HX.  It's higher on Corsair's hierarchy because it's more efficient.  But a few corners were cut on the way.  It started out being a truly better power supply with the code name "Page" (as in Jimmy Page), but after a lot of push back, whining and moaning, it was neutered into a project called "Wood" (as in Ronnie Wood).

Was there a particular reason why Corsair worked with Seasonic on AX?

13 minutes ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Was there a particular reason why Corsair worked with Seasonic on AX?

Maybe because it was AX in the past?  (Platinum and Gold versions)

Same reason beQuiet keeps using FSP.  Trying to maintain a long standing relationship since the industry is so small and nobody wants to piss anyone off (except me.  I don't give a f***).

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Damn, that's crazy. Thanks a lot for the valuable information. 

• 2 weeks later...

I already got the HX1200 and i’m very satisfied with it. But just for the curiosity sake, is the HX1200i better than the AX1200i?

12 minutes ago, Yahfz said:

I already got the HX1200 and i’m very satisfied with it. But just for the curiosity sake, is the HX1200i better than the AX1200i?

Other than you can't buy the AX1200i anymore?  😄

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Other than you can't buy the AX1200i anymore?  😄

My friend RMAd his AX1200i and was offered an HX1200i as a replacement, so i was wondering if the HX1200i is better than the AX1200i aswell.

16 minutes ago, Yahfz said:

My friend RMAd his AX1200i and was offered an HX1200i as a replacement, so i was wondering if it the HX1200i is better than the AX1200i aswell.

Hmm... That's a tough one.  The AX1200i is all digital.  Is he doing the RMA through Corsair or through a reseller/distributor?  

26 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Hmm... That's a tough one.  The AX1200i is all digital.  Is he doing the RMA through Corsair or through a reseller/distributor?  

Directly through corsair. Here’s the email.

Unfortunately, your PSU is still out of stock. Would you be interested in an alternative replacement? Here's the product link: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/hxi-series-config/p/CP-9020070-NA

Sadly, we do not have this PSU in stock either, however, one of them is bound to restock sooner than the other, and when one of them restocks, we can initiate an RMA.

Please let me know if you'd be comfortable with this alternative PSU. Thank you and have a fantastic day!

Best Regards.

Yeah.   I just emailed them myself and got the same answer.  😞

First, they ran out of gate driver ICs.  Then they ran out of Japanese capacitors.  Unless he wants to wait two months, an HX1200i is the best he can get.

43 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yeah.   I just emailed them myself and got the same answer.  😞

First, they ran out of gate driver ICs.  Then they ran out of Japanese capacitors.  Unless he wants to wait two months, an HX1200i is the best he can get.

That means the AX1200i is a better PSU then right? On another note, do you know if there's something weird with AX1200i's? He had two AX1200i from an RMA, both of them just randomly died and now he's RMAing again, I wonder if you heard about this specific model dying more than usual or if its just bad luck. Thanks again for all the replies, very useful information in this thread. 

45 minutes ago, Yahfz said:

That means the AX1200i is a better PSU then right? On another note, do you know if there's something weird with AX1200i's? He had two AX1200i from an RMA, both of them just randomly died and now he's RMAing again, I wonder if you heard about this specific model dying more than usual or if its just bad luck. Thanks again for all the replies, very useful information in this thread. 

It's "better", but more problematic as your friend has experienced.  Apparently there were some MLCCs on the modular PCB that would "crack" or come loose from the PCB if cables were plugged and unplugged a number of times.