Need help with fan curves

Hello I have a pc and im trying to make my pc quieter as its very loud. I have messed around with fan curves with no luck.

Ryzen 9 3900x

Ek 360 mm aio

Msi mpg x570 gaming plus

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Cheesecake123
Forgot to mention

What fans do you have? How many? 3 or 4 pin?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

What fans do you have? How many? 3 or 4 pin?

I have 7 fans all I think are 3 pin

1 is direct to motherboard 

And 3 are on 1 splitter and another 3 are on another

Just now, Cheesecake123 said:

I have 7 fans all I think are 3 pin

1 is direct to motherboard 

And 3 are on 1 splitter and another 3 are on another

Oh and 3 were included in case 1 is artic and 3 are from ek included with rad

Is the machine loud because its running hot , or do you just have too many fans plugged in

1 minute ago, emosun said:

Is the machine loud because its running hot , or do you just have too many fans plugged in

Im not really sure

Just now, Cheesecake123 said:

Im not really sure

I want the fans I have but I want to tone them down a little

Have you adjusted the fan speed settings yet in the bios? Are you checking the system temps with any program?

Just now, emosun said:

Have you adjusted the fan speed settings yet in the bios? Are you checking the system temps with any program?

I have tried to adjust them but i really dont understand what im looking at and temps i am looking at in bios right now but i can look at them using msi dragon center

Just now, emosun said:

To add to this: make sure your fan controls in the BIOS are set to PWM if your fans are PWM or controls set to DC if the fans are not PWM. Trying to control a non-PWM fan in PWM-mode will make it run at 100% all the time, and controlling a PWM fan in DC mode might cause it to stop or make weird noises. Figure out what types your fans are, and don't mix different models on the same connector. 

1 minute ago, Alvin853 said:

To add to this: make sure your fan controls in the BIOS are set to PWM if your fans are PWM or controls set to DC if the fans are not PWM. Trying to control a non-PWM fan in PWM-mode will make it run at 100% all the time, and controlling a PWM fan in DC mode might cause it to stop or make weird noises. Figure out what types your fans are, and don't mix different models on the same connector. 

right now they dont run at 100 percent all the time but they are all set to dc ill change that right now Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

Hey thanks some fans did get quieter but its not as quiet as i want it

2 minutes ago, Cheesecake123 said:

right now they dont run at 100 percent all the time but they are all set to dc ill change that right now Thanks!

You only change it depending on what the fans actually are. Are they dc or pwm

1 minute ago, emosun said:

You only change it depending on what the fans actually are. Are they dc or pwm

I dont know how to tell is there a way to tell?

1 minute ago, Cheesecake123 said:

I dont know how to tell is there a way to tell?

Yes you can just read the box or manual for the fans or google the make and model and check

Just now, emosun said:

Yes you can just read the box or manual for the fans or google the make and model and check

Ok ill do that 

All fans are pwm but were set to dc all corrections have been made Im going to see if the problem is solved

I still feel like its very loud should i send an audio clip?

3 minutes ago, Cheesecake123 said:

All fans are pwm but were set to dc all corrections have been made Im going to see if the problem is solved

Well you now made sure the fan controls work correctly, but have you set up a fan curve? The default curve might just be too high because your mainboard doesn't know you have a very good cooling. You can lower the individual points on the curve or move them to the right so the fans will spin slower at low temperatures, until you reach your desired balance of noise and temperatures. 

2 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

Well you now made sure the fan controls work correctly, but have you set up a fan curve? The default curve might just be too high because your mainboard doesn't know you have a very good cooling. You can lower the individual points on the curve or move them to the right so the fans will spin slower at low temperatures, until you reach your desired balance of noise and temperatures. 

Ok i just dont really know what a good mix of too loud and thermal throttling is do you know a way to help me here? Also thanks for all your help so far!

4 minutes ago, Cheesecake123 said:

Ok i just dont really know what a good mix of too loud and thermal throttling is do you know a way to help me here? Also thanks for all your help so far!

Well the whole point of a fan curve is that you can have low noise when the CPU is idle/cool and maximum cooling at high load/temps if you want it. 

Afaik the throttling on a 3900X won't be until you get over 100°C, so you could have your fan curve to go to 100% at 85°C, so it'll be at max cooling long before it reaches the throttling limit. Below 50°C you can probably run the fans at a very low speed so you don't hear them at all, maybe 30%, or even turn them off entirely if you want, figure this one out yourself. And then you can add an additional point to the curve, maybe 75°C at slightly above what your "low speed" is, so the fans ramp up slightly from 50°C to 75°C and you won't be hearing them much during intermediate loads, but the speed will ramp up a lot between 75°C and 85°C when you're running high loads and you won't get close to thermal throttling. 

You might want to run the intake fans at slightly higher speeds compared to the exhaust fans to make sure your GPU also gets enough fresh air and your case is not pulling in unfiltered air through holes.

5 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

Well the whole point of a fan curve is that you can have low noise when the CPU is idle/cool and maximum cooling at high load/temps if you want it. 

Afaik the throttling on a 3900X won't be until you get over 100°C, so you could have your fan curve to go to 100% at 85°C, so it'll be at max cooling long before it reaches the throttling limit. Below 50°C you can probably run the fans at a very low speed so you don't hear them at all, maybe 30%, or even turn them off entirely if you want, figure this one out yourself. And then you can add an additional point to the curve, maybe 75°C at slightly above what your "low speed" is, so the fans ramp up slightly from 50°C to 75°C and you won't be hearing them much during intermediate loads, but the speed will ramp up a lot between 75°C and 85°C when you're running high loads and you won't get close to thermal throttling. 

You might want to run the intake fans at slightly higher speeds compared to the exhaust fans to make sure your GPU also gets enough fresh air and your case is not pulling in unfiltered air through holes.

Ok changing it now also i have realized the my exhaust fans are way more powerful than my intake fans but being that the case is white and the more powerful fans arent white ill run them slower than the intake and work on more powerful intake fans

Ok i have updated everything and on boot its very loud but seems to settle after a minute or too but not as low as i want i wonder if it is getting to hot because when idle the fans fluctuate so anyway thanks and ill keep changing the curves!