Best controller for PC?

LpoolTech

Hi! 

I've always been mouse and keyboard person but would like to get a controller for some fighting/racing games. I don't know much about them so would like your input, currently I'm between Xbox one x controller and PS5 controller. As far as I know Xbox one has better support but ps5 one is supported too through steam. The extra features of ps5 controller are attractive(better ruble, adaptive triggers, and a big one built in battery) but as far as I know they aren't supported on PC will they be in the future? So if you were choosing between these two what would go for and why? 

i prefer the xbox one controller. better support, but also much better rumbles and triggers for racing imo. having the rumbles built into the triggers and the regular ones in the handle goes well with racing games. might be biased as i rarely have used sony controllers.

I agree with the Xbox controller. It has better support, and in my opinion better ergonomics/layout than the PS5 controller, but that is of course subjective. I see the PS5 controller having an internal battery as a con not a pro, after a few years the battery will degrade or completely die, and you have to disassemble the controller to replace it. Also, if the controller dies you have to either stop playing and let it charge, use it plugged in, or get another controller. With removable batteries you can just swap in another battery pack and keep going.

I'd change it slightly to Series X controller rather than Xbox One controller, but in general, an Xbox controller is the best for PC.

Personally, I think the PS5 controller is the best feeling controller, but when it comes to PC, that's where the benefits end. None of the DualSense features are supported on PC and will not be by PC games. You can also only use it via Bluetooth, which can be spotty sometimes and latency can be an issue.

It bumps the total cost up a bit, but an Xbox controller with the Wireless Adapter and Play and Charge kit gives you the best of all worlds. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

48 minutes ago, LpoolTech said:

Hi! 

I've always been mouse and keyboard person but would like to get a controller for some fighting/racing games. I don't know much about them so would like your input, currently I'm between Xbox one x controller and PS5 controller. As far as I know Xbox one has better support but ps5 one is supported too through steam. The extra features of ps5 controller are attractive(better ruble, adaptive triggers, and a big one built in battery) but as far as I know they aren't supported on PC will they be in the future? So if you were choosing between these two what would go for and why? 

The Xbox controller has full Windows support. 

I recently bought an Xbox controller. I just got the one with the USB-C cable. The controller supports Bluetooth if I want to try wireless. The wireless adapter is suppose to offer a better wireless experience. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I have a PS5 and XBO. Ive used the controllers for a while, along with my X360 controller, but a few months back I got an XBO Series-X controller, by far my favorite. The XBO 2nd Gen & XBO Series-X controllers work natively with bluetooth and have full driver support in Windows as well. For some games there's a lot of advantage to having the extra triggers underneath with the XBOX Elite Controller, especially for FPS games like Battlefield with multiple actions. I havent tried the Elite on PC myself though, and it has a very premium price tag as well. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Xbox controller has better support and imo is more comfortable. Not to mention it's cheaper and the Dualsense has drifting issues. Sure, you can set up the Dualsense with Steam, but it will add delay. Dualsense has some nice features but the Xbox at least has it's basic features good.

1 hour ago, LpoolTech said:

currently I'm between Xbox one x controller and PS5 controller.

The PS5 controller develops drifting issues with the joysticks over time due to wear and cheap design. PlayStation controllers are also a notoriously poor experience on Windows.

[PS5 Joystick Drift Explained]

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

Thank you all for your input! I will go with xbox series x controller. Just one extra question will xbox one work wired without batteries installed?

9 hours ago, LpoolTech said:

Thank you all for your input! I will go with xbox series x controller. Just one extra question will xbox one work wired without batteries installed?

Yes they can use both USB and Bluetooth to the PC.

The Original Xbox Controller from the early first gen XBO (with no audio port on it) is wireless only, it does not have bluetooth...only a concern if you're looking at second hand controllers (which I wouldn't since they develop D-pad issues over a long period of time which is a pain to repair...done this on a few controllers)

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

11 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Yes they can use both USB and Bluetooth to the PC.

The Original Xbox Controller from the early first gen XBO (with no audio port on it) is wireless only, it does not have bluetooth...only a concern if you're looking at second hand controllers (which I wouldn't since they develop D-pad issues over a long period of time which is a pain to repair...done this on a few controllers)

Thanks for the advice! I will get a new controller.