Buying Used Computer, Is it a good deal?

Hi, 

I am currently looking at getting a computer that someone is selling. The specs are as follows: 

- CPU: i5-6600k (Overclocked to 4.5 Ghz reliably) 

- GPU: R9 390 (8gb model) 

- RAM: 8GB 2330Mhz 

- Storage: 500gb SSD, 1TB HDD 

- PSU: EVGA-850 B2

This computer comes with a 1080p monitor (60hz). The seller is asking for $500. My situation right now is that I want to build a computer in a year to a year in a half from now, but I want to have something better than my 2 year old laptop until then. My idea for this was to buy the computer and upgrade the ram with ram that I would use in the future build (probably 16Gb @3200 or 3600 Mhz) just not overclock it all the way to the max rated clock speed. I wanted to buy this system now and buy the RAM later during Amazon Prime Day, all for an extra $100. I already have a high refresh rate monitor, mouse and keyboard, so I won't have to worry about that. Is this a good deal? Should I change my plan? I know that this was a lot, but if there are any questions, let me know.

-Thanks

That's a fantastic deal! I'd go for it. I would recommend cleaning it when you get it but that really is a great deal, especially in this market. 

If I were you, I would add more RAM and up it to 16 gigs, but it would be okay in many games with 8.

4 minutes ago, Masterlee3 said:

The seller is asking for $500.

Tell him to add 8 more GB of RAM, so you have 16 total. Otherwise I think the price is fair in the current market @Masterlee3.

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

That's a fantastic deal! I'd go for it.

Yep, I agree with @Mel0nMan! And as you can see @Masterlee3 we both highlighted only one potential issue.

Put things into perspective. You can either buy a lower end phone with $500 or a WHOLE computer with a monitor.

-> Moved to New Builds and Planning

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thank you all so much for the quick response, I think I'm going to go a head and buy it.

33 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

I wouldn't say tell the seller to add more, just do it yourself

Could do as well @Mel0nMan, depending on the seller. If it's a physical person then do it yourself. If it's a company that deals with used parts you could try asking - don't see why not.

There's been a lot of companies dealing with used PC components and building PC's using older components here in Slovenia, EU through which you can always try and get a better deal 🙂

1 minute ago, gal-m said:

Could do as well @Mel0nMan, depending on the seller. If it's a physical person then do it yourself. If it's a company that deals with used parts you could try asking - don't see why not.

There's been a lot of companies dealing with used PC components and building PC's using older components here in Slovenia, EU through which you can always try and get a better deal 🙂

Fair enough, the company that sold me my workstation got 8x4gb DDR3-1333 in there for around 2/3 the price I could have. But if it's just one dude in his garage selling it, that'd probably be more expensive for the seller to do it for you.

The main issue with this system is that it uses a 4core4thread cpu which has NOT been enough to play games the big AAA games without stuttering, framedrops, lockups,... for about 4 years now. So expect issues in those. 500$ is a pretty good price but the cpu just kinda sucks. So I personally wouldn't get it.

38 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

But if it's just one dude in his garage selling it, that'd probably be more expensive for the seller to do it for you

Totally agree @Mel0nMan.